Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm not surprised by this. It was expected. The left is getting what they voted for. I hope they suffer the most.

I don't know. While a lot of Americans may be misguided, and given the 2 choices that we were presented in this election that is quite obvious, I still don't advocate the suffering of my fellow Americans. I will agree however, that we are indeed in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I have worked in upper management ( Director of ops for a major hotel corporation) and my husband is in upper management as an Engineer in the medical device industry. I can tell you that the layoffs that have just happened ( yesterday and today) in his company are a DIRECT result of the re-election and Obamacare.
Yes, they have known what the implications were going to be months ago, however, if the election had gone the other way, although it is possible they would have had to still impliment layoffs, they would not have occured so imminently
They had a crystal ball that told them Obama was going to win? I want one!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They had a crystal ball that told them Obama was going to win? I want one!
It wouldn't have mattered who won. The IRS rulings came out and they planned based on that.
Don't need a crystal ball for that one.

Many have to act by 12/31/2012 so as to be grandfathered in for IRS verification purposes.

We had that surge of 500K new part time jobs last month. That should tell you that business was already planning and implementing.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
More layoffs:

"Welch Allyn

Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, announced in September that they would be laying off 275 employees, or roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years. One of the major reasons discussed for the layoffs was a proactive response to the Medical Device Tax mandated by the new healthcare law."

"Stryker

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker will close their facility in Orchard Park, New York, eliminating 96 jobs in December. Worse, they plan on countering the medical device tax in Obamacare by slashing 5% of their global workforce - an estimated 1,170 positions."

More companies and full article here.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
^^You just go on taking great glee in someone being laid off. One day, it might be you! I hope you're as happy then.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,195 times
Quote:
^^You just go on taking great glee in someone being laid off. One day, it might be you! I hope you're as happy then.
Did you vote for Obama? If you did then you get what you vote for little one. We can and will watch the country continue going down the tubes all because of the progressives in this country, and this includes Democrats and Republicans.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
You can't support something and then just choose to ignore the fallout.
Business warned of layoffs and now they are happening.

Supporters of Obamacare should be concerned and angry that it didn't turn out the way they thought.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
Quote:
You are incorrect. I take no pleasure whatsoever in people being laid off. I am merely pointing out, in black and white, what's been clearly evident to many of us since before the election. It doesn't matter how you spin it. Obama's policies cost jobs, whether one wishes to believe it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can't support something and then just choose to ignore the fallout.
Business warned of layoffs and now they are happening.
^This.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
"Earlier today, Twitchy related some heartbreaking stories of small business owners laying off workers to avoid the economic impact of the Obamacare tax that isn’t a tax. Comedian Jon Lovitz, a small business owner himself, was no barrel of laughs either as his timeline filled with stories of impending downsizing. So, what about those big corporations? Boeing’s defense division announced yesterday it would cut 30 percent of management staff, and the company was not alone, we’re learning."

To those directly affected: No worries - this is what the people voted for. You have the government to take care of you. <insert sarcasm>

See newest tweets here.
The American public voted for this...give them what they want.

People need to learn that actions have consequences. I hoped we would be smart enough to learn from the trickle up poverty of the last 4 years...but the population of this country isn't that smart.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Many of those companies, like RIM for instance, were already hurting. This just gives them an "excuse" to cut people.

Most small business owners and large aren't so reactive.

Companies will say they are firing you for lots of reasons, but that doesn't mean its actually why you're being laid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies