Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,472,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
man,
that obama sure inherited a mess this week, didnt he
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
that's the repigs' fault that they spent over a billion dollars on an election
they lost, so i see why they're laying off; probably going all the way under
too while they're at it. now go home and cry. the dems will be alright.
Obama outspent Romney. The GOP knew going into this election cycle that they'd be facing a billion dollar Obama campaign.

This is why both parties just need to be voted out by the American people. They quibble, bicker and argue. They get nothing done. And when it's all over, they childishly point at each other and say, "They did it!"

The House sent bills to the Senate and his royal highness Harry Reid killed them before they could even be voted on. Everything the House sends to the Senate is open to negotiations. Reid simply refused to negotiate. Obama and the Dems had a clear message for the Republicans over the last two years: "My way or the highway." Now they're actually shocked that the Republicans stonewalled them in return. The Repugs were at least trying. The Dummocrats couldn't even pass a budget when they had full control of both houses.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times
This is a chain email going around Facebook

Have a legit source?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,728 times
I think you people should stop blaming the government for all your problems.

If they are going under, let them. We need strong companies that can adapt to the times and will hire Americans.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times
Now let's see what that post would have looked like if you had done your homework instead of just C&Ping a list that apparently originated at the Moonie Times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Here come the layoffs...and they're just now beginning.

Welch Allyn - 275 layoffs announced in September
Dana Holding Corp.- estimated 2,500 layoffs announced in October
Stryker - 585 layoffs announced in June
Boston Scientific - 1,400 layoffs announced in August
Medtronic - 1,000 layoffs announced in May
Lockheed-Martin - 123,000 layoffs not true - that would be their entire workforce
West Ridge Mine - 102 layoffs - politically motivated, announced yesterday
American Coal - 54 layoffs - politically motivated, announced yesterday
Utah American Energy - 102 layoffs - politically motivated, announced yesterday (same number as West Ridge Mine? Looks suspicious)
Smith & Nephew - 770 layoffs - 80 layoffs announced last December, no unbiased info available for remaining ones
Abbott Labs - 700 layoffs - announced in October
Covidien - 595 layoffs - announced in September
Kinetic Concepts - 427 layoffs - announced last week (i.e. before the election)
St. Jude Medical - 300 layoffs - announced last week (i.e. before the election)
Hill Rom - 200 layoffs - no unbiased info available, but apparently layoffs happen there all the time

Hopefully the vast majority of the layoffs are people who voted for Obama.
What else ya got?

And BTW, having worked with a supplier to medical-device firms, I can tell you that most of the ones listed do a lot of business with Europe. Are you aware of what's happening in Europe at the moment?

The only verifiable post-election layoffs, which were apparently announced out of spite rather than because of business needs, were those of 258 (or possibly only 156) coal-company workers in Utah. How many of them do you suppose voted for Obama?

Last edited by pch1013; 11-09-2012 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Many of the companies laying off workers will soon be advertising 28 hour per week jobs. To avoid Obamacare, some will shift from full time workers to part time. Others will get below the 50 employee limit or just not expand to above 50. And they're doing so now because the numbers have to be at that level for 12 months prior to the 2014 full implementation of Obamacare.

Some of these layoffs are not related to Obamacare, but you're kidding yourself if you think none of them are.
According to the analysis so far, it appears those that have explicitly claimed it is because of Obamacare, seem to be doing so for political--not business--reasons. Cry-baby syndrome, it appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Legalsea,

Although I didn't go through each and every one of your links, they appear to represent companies that are hiring in spite of Obama, not because of Obama - which means they would have hired no matter who became the next POTUS. There are MANY companies laying off workers in spite of this too. I didn't even list those, since they are not applicable to this thread.
So basically, companies are still hiring even though Obamacare is going to destroy the world. Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
People are not stupid. They can see the inequity in trading their labor for money - a sum that is reduced by inflation, overt and covert taxation. It is far more profitable to go on the dole, than to be a donor sucked dry by the hordes of bureaucratic fleas.
A society cannot instill self discipline in the next generation, when the previous generation burdens them with parasites, predators and politicians who reap gain for naught. It only teaches them to embrace the law of the jungle.
A people who penalize the productive for the benefit of the non-productive will self destruct. There is no other fate for a people under the control of collectivists, pirates and usurers.
When the fleas outvote the dog, the dog dies, and then the fleas.
Once again--the reason nobody takes you seriously. Keep calling your Fellow Americans fleas and parasites.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Here come the layoffs...and they're just now beginning.

Welch Allyn - 275 layoffs
I know for a fact that those Welch Allyn layoffs were announced months ago. One of my good friends works there.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 AM

476 posts, read 466,677 times
Thank you Obama!!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times
I'm in medical devices as well and Medtronic was April (actually searched my listserv and found it, lol)

Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Now let's see what that post would have looked like if you had done your homework instead of just C&Ping a list that apparently originated at the Moonie Times.

What else ya got?

And BTW, having worked with a supplier to medical-device firms, I can tell you that most of the ones listed do a lot of business with Europe. Are you aware of what's happening in Europe at the moment?

The only verifiable post-election layoffs, which were apparently announced out of spite rather than because of business needs, were those of 258 (or possibly only 156) coal-company workers in Utah. How many of them do you suppose voted for Obama?
So announced months ago vs announced yesterday. Still getting laid off. Thought the economy was growing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies