Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yeah, isn't it horrible when people have different opinions than yours?
It's annoying and frustrating when said opinions are stated from a very narrow POV, rooted in fictional stereotypes and don't contain much reality, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Very cool.

Where did they live during college?

Who supported them during school (secondary and post)?

Did they have to care for younger siblings, parents or elderly relatives?

Did they have to work to support their family?

Did all of them have access to quality healthcare and food?

Did they have a support system that encouraged education, success, self actualization and belief in self?
You cannot judge everyone based on your experiences. Some family's prepare for children and college, and some do not. Do we penalize everyone who has done what they could to insure success for themselves and their heirs? If I am self-made, and I make my children wealthy, why is that wrong? Isn't it my wealthy to do with what I choose. I am sick of hearing people whine because of the poor choices they or their family made. Trying to make everyone financially equal will destroy this country like it has every other country that has tried it.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
There are paid trolls everywhere, you are kidding yourself or being dishonest if you don't think they represent the Democrats and Republicans as well.

Not the point though, there are plenty of non-paid individuals that have different opinions, so to sit here and belittle people for the fact that they have a different opinion is childish and it doesn't help the conversation at all. Debate the topics at hand, not your opinion of the people posting the opinions.
I actually looked into getting paid for Internet postings since I waste so much time on here anyway and what I found is that they want people to set up a gazillion different e-mail accounts and register under a bunch of different names ..... in other words, they ask people to directly violate site TOSs in order to get paid. I said thanks but no thanks.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
And just as an aside, our high school was on split sessions due to austerity at the time. We attended HS from 6:40 AM - 12:15 PM.
We must be about the same age. I had the exact same experience in a different part of the country. Austerity and frugality were in favor then. Federal, state, and local governments spent taxpayer money responsibly. Government spending now is TOTALLY out of control.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 AM

161 posts, read 264,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
I do not begrudge people the wealth they have, however they attained it.

I was brought up to believe in the American dream, work hard and you can be successful. I'm not sure where that got turned into... sit on your butt all day and live off the hard work of others.

The entitlement people will eventually run out of the hard workers to provide for them, what happens then?
Exactly my view.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Thanks for the update. I have lots of other questions but I'll leave it at this: Not everyone has the benefit of being raised in a "very average, blue collar, middle class family" and all that implies.
SO WHAT? You were the one bemoaning individuals who inherit wealth, claiming they don't pay their fair share, implying that everyone who is rich inherited it. There are many, many VERY wealthy people who did NOT inherit their wealth, who came from working class backgrounds and who made it big because of their own hard work and talent. But you think, "Wah, wah, no fair, every rich person should help those less fortunate by giving more of their hard earned money to .gov to redistribute" (which we know .gov does so efficiently and fairly)

Class warfare at its ugliest. Maybe I'll just call you Julia.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
You cannot judge everyone based on your experiences. Some family's prepare for children and college, and some do not. Do we penalize everyone who has done what they could to insure success for themselves and their heirs?
Unfortunately, yes we do.
Quote:
If I am self-made, and I make my children wealthy, why is that wrong? Isn't it my wealthy to do with what I choose. I am sick of hearing people whine because of the poor choices they or their family made.
I am sick of the responsibility double standard. I am responsible for paying taxes on my hard-won success, but they're not responsible for their bad choices? I call BS on that.

Quote:
Trying to make everyone financially equal will destroy this country like it has every other country that has tried it.
You're asking them to actually use critical thinking and learn from history. Liberals don't think; they emote.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
No.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We must be about the same age. I had the exact same experience in a different part of the country. Austerity and frugality were in favor then. Federal, state, and local governments spent taxpayer money responsibly. Government spending now is TOTALLY out of control.
And we not only survived, but many of us thrived. We got through the Carter years (I remember when my husband and I sold our HS rings in order to pay the mortgage because the price of gold went up to around $800 an ounce) and lived to enjoy prosperity during the Reagan years.

Common sense has left our schools and government. The Progressives have won and they won't be happy until we are totally controlled by the UN, until all religious views have been silenced and our 2nd Amendment has been made moot. I heard The One ranting about Syria and chemical weapons this morning. Really? Really? But I thought Bush "lied" about chemical weapons in Iraq! Politics now just makes me want to puke. I went to DC for 9/12, I really thought we stood a chance to turn things around after the 2010 elections ...... what the hell happened?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
FYI the uber wealthy is the top 1%. Their DISCLOSED wealthy is in excess of $20t dollars.
Not according to the U.S. Government. Total household net worth is $66.75 trillion. One percent of that is $667.5 billion.
Wealth and Asset Ownership - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

2008 data:
Americans See 18% of Wealth Vanish - WSJ.com

Quote:
FYI, if the top 1% own 35% to 40%
By definition, they own 1% of the wealth. That's what makes them the top 1%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies