Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Nope, becuz I am one myself and if I see a rich person it wpuld likely be someone I know.

But there is a difference between being successful and unbridled greed such as Madoff. You identify with him? Becuz one of my friends had to deal with a huge loss becuz of Madoff, and then deal with the trustee clawing back some of the money they had withdrawn over the years.

Some ppl make money by being smarter than those around them, and some make money by cheating those around them. I dislike the latter and respect the former.
Madoff was able to do this because he used greed.

So people making $250 a year did this? Why should they pay for other peoples wrong doings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,203,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Madoff was able to do this because he used greed.

So people making $250 a year did this? Why should they pay for other peoples wrong doings.
Sorry, I cannot understand your babbling, please try again.

I will say greed is a human condition and there isn't a financial level where it doesnt exist, so yeah, a $250k earner, or a $25k, or a $2.5k earner can exhibit just as much greed as Madoff. Their ultimate level of "success" might vary based on where they start from, the uber wealthy are much better at taking huge sums. A poor black man won't get far with briefcases jammed with cash. Even see the movie "Dead Presidents"?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,475 times
Quote:
Nope, becuz I am one myself and if I see a rich person it wpuld likely be someone I know.

But there is a difference between being successful and unbridled greed such as Madoff. You identify with him? Becuz one of my friends had to deal with a huge loss becuz of Madoff, and then deal with the trustee clawing back some of the money they had withdrawn over the years.

Some ppl make money by being smarter than those around them, and some make money by cheating those around them. I dislike the latter and respect the former.

No I don't "identify" with Madoff. Neither do I identify with Jeffrey Immelt, George Soros or Susan Rice who is supposedly worth some 40M.

Just as with poor people and middle class people - some are *******s and some are very nice, decent people. Money has nothing to do with basic human nature.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Obamabot is name-calling? Oh gosh, sorry. Obama supporter, then.

Sounds to me like you make too much money to be receiving government assistance. I don't think Mother Theresa collected Food Stamps.
I don't collect now but I have here and there in the past. I have no shame or guilt about it. I have no clue what your Mother Theresa comment means. If you have something to say, it would be helpful to just spit it out instead of your using ineffective non sequitors.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
60% of the budget goes to entitlement programs. Taxing the rich will not change these people's lives.
That figure will just grow bigger each year. What do you plan to do..tax more each year ?

Taxing people more to subsidize a growing underclass will do absolutely nothing to stop the downward spiral of American society.
Oh, so today SS is an "entitlement program"? When I said as much on another thread you "corrected" me by saying it was really more of an insurance program. Which is it?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM

122 posts, read 155,973 times
I envy rich people but I don't necessarily get angry or be bitter.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM

140 posts, read 109,162 times
When I think of the rich, I associate fame, being in the lime light or the media, security personel, tabloid photographers, no privacy or the ability to go about in public without mobs of people and reporters, etc.

I picture the rich as always on the go, this meeting and that meeting. I imagine a huge amount of stress and worry, alot of business problems to solve and long hours, etc.

I tell you, the money part may be nice, hell a small fraction of their money would be great (I'm a poor person ), but, I would not be able to deal with not having my privacy and all the rest of the junk.

If were left to me to generate the wealth needed to start businesses and create jobs, we would most assuredly be a dirt poor country.

IDK, a simpler life works for me and I have no problem taking my place in the work force and leave the business to those who have a mind for it.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Sorry, I cannot understand your babbling, please try again.

I will say greed is a human condition and there isn't a financial level where it doesnt exist, so yeah, a $250k earner, or a $25k, or a $2.5k earner can exhibit just as much greed as Madoff. Their ultimate level of "success" might vary based on where they start from, the uber wealthy are much better at taking huge sums. A poor black man won't get far with briefcases jammed with cash. Even see the movie "Dead Presidents"?
oh yea... blacks are disenfranchised so they need special treatment because they can't do it all by themselves right?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
oh yea... blacks are disenfranchised so they need special treatment because they can't do it all by themselves right?
Sorry, I'm not feeding trolls tonite. If you have a modestly thoughtful comment get back to me, if you're race baiting go here; StormFront.com

Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieology View Post
I envy rich people but I don't necessarily get angry or be bitter.
Don't be too concerned about your feeling toward the rich, the rich are foaming at the mouth mad at just about everyone in the other 99%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies