Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 PM

335 posts, read 335,017 times

Advertisements

In my experience, poor people are usually poor for a reason. They gamble or go into debt or drink or use drugs or are mentally unequipped for the world, and so on. This is not a judgment. This is what they are. It has the consequence of making poverty more likely, unless they are lucky.

We all have failings, but some failings tend to have the side-effect of making wealth more likely.

I wish I lived in a world (and the world really is approaching this) where basics just come automatically, and where if you do more, you get more, but you always have enough. In the meantime we have to live in a world where things are rationed one way or another -- generally through prices. Politics goes on and how to slice the pie will always be a matter for argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When you see a rich person do you feel anger, jealousy or bitterness?

No.
I dont envy the rich people i know,, Seems they are on the job 24/7,they seem to be continually stressed out, their home and family lives are dysfunctional,sure they got plenty of money but they dont enjoy spending it,only making it.At family outings and social events they are continually micro managing some aspect of their empire and are usually on the phone for the whole event, doesnt look to me like having lots of money is that much fun.
So When i see a rich person i feel pity as these people for the most part are just slaves to money.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The USA spends by far more on education than any nation but we've got the teachers unions that keep stupid incompetent teachers in the schools and make sure no school can have standards. Parochial schools cost much much less to run and do a far better job. And homeschooled children are very often grades ahead of kids in the very costly public schools.
Lets face facts.

The recipient class does not value education.

That's why inner city schools in America perform so poorly.

It has nothing to do with teachers or unions....it's the pure lack of respect for education.

The leftie brain "Hey, I have an idea....lets ignore the real problem, because naming it sounds racist.....throw some more money at it, have some conservative vote against it and we can call them the racist!"

Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I don't see giving money to a church so they can build bigger monuments to themselves as giving to charities. Maybe you can enlighten me, where does mittens charity get spent by the Mormons?
Have you seen the monuments our government builds to itself?

Do you think about the things you say before you post?

Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The LDS Church has a positively enormous Humanitarian Fund which provides disaster relief throughout the world to people in need, regardless of their race or religious beliefs. In addition to disaster relief, the LDS Church has helped improve the quality of life for people worldwide in ways such as these:

•The World Health Organization estimates that 884 million people worldwide don’t have access to clean water. This is a huge problem in Africa, not only because of water-borne diseases but because kids who spend hours each day walking to and from the nearest well to fill old gasoline cans with water cannot attend school. According to church records, in the past seven years, more than four million Africans in 17 countries have gained access to clean drinking water through the LDS Church's humanitarian efforts to sink or rehabilitate boreholes.

•More than 34,000 physically handicapped African kids now have wheelchairs through the same Church-sponsored humanitarian program. To see a legless child whose knuckles have become calloused through walking on his hands lifted into a wheelchair may be the best way to fully understand the liberation this brings.

•Millions of children, meanwhile, have now been vaccinated against killer diseases like measles as the Church has sponsored or assisted with projects in 22 African countries.

•More than 126,000 Africans have had their sight restored or improved through the Church's partnership with African eye care professionals in providing training, equipment and supplies.

•Another 52,000 Africans have been trained to help newborns who otherwise would never take a first breath. Training in neonatal resuscitation has also been a big project for the Church in Afraica.
Truth to a leftie is like sunlight to a vampire.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Actually, most of the really wealthy people I have ever known, with two exceptions, were absolutely miserable creatures who worried constantly that they were going to lose their money. It was the only thing that validated their existence. Their possessions owned them, and kept them working long hours and not sleeping at night.

In all actuality, I felt sorry for them.
I call BS.

You're just justifying your own lack of ability to become rich.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
So you really don`t mind paying for food stamps for Walmart employees while 6 members of the Walton family have as much wealth as the bottom 30% of Americans?
No.

Oh, I mind the paying of food stamps, but I think the entire war on Walmart is full of lies and misinformation.

We have a nation of part time employees who claim the need for free stuff from government, Walmart employees do not get a special deal.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Very poor and very wealthy are natural states of any economy. Governments create the middle class mass.
Really?

Do tell.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You are, of course, aware of WalMart's tactics? Move into an area and undersell the local stores until they go under, then hire the owners and employees because there is nowhere else left for them to work?

Do a bit of research, and you will find out how America is being screwed to the wall. Every time a sale rings up in WalMart, every American gets a portion of the bill to pay in food stamps and health care for the employees.
My town has a Walmart, SAMs Club, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Home Goods, (along with two profitable family owned hardware stores....i guess they didn't get the memo that they were supposed to close when Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart came to town) Staples and many, many small mom and pop type specialty businesses.

The key is change. If you have a small toy store, you're screwed, unless you offer a service that he big guys can't.

Think before you post.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Trashy, no class, I thought it was a black Madonna at first. The first lady dressing like that! See, even a super expensive outfit can look trashy.
I hope it came with backup sensors....a load that size can kill a kid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies