Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM

987 posts, read 1,387,042 times

Advertisements

Just a simple NO to the main topic! Each to their own when one acquires their attitude due to being well to do or very rich! Money does change people in every which way one can imagine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,587,196 times
Yes I do a little jealous :P

Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 AM

335 posts, read 335,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Just a simple NO to the main topic! Each to their own when one acquires their attitude due to being well to do or very rich! Money does change people in every which way one can imagine!
As they say, "Rich people are different."

Old 12-08-2012, 01:54 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Yes I do a little jealous :P
At least someone is honest. I used to wonder how they did it and kept wondering what "I" was doing wrong. But that has changed now. I figured part of it out.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:58 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
As they say, "Rich people are different."
Yep, they are. They view and use money differently than the poor or the middle class.

The poor just wait for next months paychecks.

The middle class: As they become more successful they buy stuff and borrow money from future income to buy more stuff. They buy liabilities... a liability is something that takes money out of your pockets. They get caught in the "rat race"

The rich buy assets. An asset puts money in their pockets. They also keep bad debt to a minimum.

Yep, the rich do think differently than the masses.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:27 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
I have more money than some people and others have more money than me. According to the current "in thing" it is ok to feel jealousy and hatred toward people who have done better than me but I never did do the "in thing". Instead of filling my head with hatred toward those richer than me I choose to keep learning and moving forward to my definition of rich.

Hatred, jealousy and expecting the government to do for you and hoping the government will hurt others will not get you ahead and I see it as just an excuse for the government to take more money and therefor more control. Yes the rich will pay more but there will be consequences that those filled with hate and jealousy can not see. They may cheer in their efforts of hurting others but in the end this poor me attitude will keep you poor. If you jumped on the Obama's bandwagon I'll bet that years from now, you will still be poor.

There are so many things to rebut here that it's difficult to choose where to begin. It is not at all the "in
thing" to envy and hate the rich: From reality t.v. shows to glossy magazines like Us and Star, our curiosity regarding the rich and famous is quite evident. Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton are prime examples of "celebrities," simply for their names and physical appearance (okay, and a couple of sex tapes). I'm usually just curious about people who are extremely wealthy, although when CEOs give themselves golden parachutes and stiff the workers...well, that simply isn't fair. My most pressing issue is the concept that the millions of people who voted for President Obama again are all poor; nothing could be farther from the truth. People who denigrate "the 47%" seldom (if ever) mention the fact that the 47% includes children under 18, the mentally infirm and elderly who are incapable of voting and people who have lost the right to vote, as well as those receiving some form of government assistance. My neighbor has a brilliant son who has Cerebral Palsy; she could never survive without help, and her son would have been dead years ago without government assistance to cover his medical care. She works as the secretary at her church, but that salary certainly wouldn't support them. The husband left when the son was very young, so the entire burden has been on her. Do we really want to be the kind of country that would turn our backs on such people? What will her son do when she passes away? I'd like to think that America has more compassion than greed, but some posts seem to suggest otherwise.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, they are. They view and use money differently than the poor or the middle class.

The poor just wait for next months paychecks.

The middle class: As they become more successful they buy stuff and borrow money from future income to buy more stuff. They buy liabilities... a liability is something that takes money out of your pockets. They get caught in the "rat race"

The rich buy assets. An asset puts money in their pockets. They also keep bad debt to a minimum.

Yep, the rich do think differently than the masses.
Yes, it's just that simple folks. Just follow petch's 15756 easy steps and YOU TOO can become the NEXT rich American! :::crowd goes wild:::

GMAFB This post is not only an oversimplification of our economy but displays a total lack of knowledge about most anything to do with money, social and economic issues, education, etc. What a JOKE.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, it's just that simple folks. Just follow petch's 15756 easy steps and YOU TOO can become the NEXT rich American! :::crowd goes wild:::

GMAFB This post is not only an oversimplification of our economy but displays a total lack of knowledge about most anything to do with money, social and economic issues, education, etc. What a JOKE.
How so?

A poor/middle class person rushes right out to buy the latest smart phone.

A smart person, on their way to financial freedom, buys a share in Apple and lets the dividend earn enough to buy a new product.

Personally, I'm in agreement with petch. It really is that easy....if you are disciplined.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM

335 posts, read 335,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I made the point earlier that there is generally a reason poor people are poor. As you make me see, the same applies to rich people.

I would say that these reasons apply maybe three-fourths of the time, and that time and chance apply the rest of the time (I inherited a good deal of money, so my wealth is not because of the attributes you list).

The caution I would give you is to not draw judgments of the person from their wealth. For a certainty, many of the factors causing poor people to be poor are what we might call moral weaknesses -- gambling, alcoholism, drugs, profligacy, laziness, criminality, attitude problems. Other causes also exist over which the person has little control -- handicaps, poor education, bad luck, or just plain not having what it takes mentally. There is even a problem assessing blame for the moral weaknesses -- they generally stem from deep causes in the person's makeup or background and are largely not under their control.

On the other side, wealthy people can be also said to perhaps be wealthy because of moral weaknesses -- greed, ruthlessness, stinginess, corruption, exploitation, ruthless competition. I think real fortunes, at least in the U.S., generally come from industriousness and entrepreneurship and ingenuity, but I can tell you I know of many cases where the wealth was from the less desirable personality aspects.

We perceive the middle class as lacking ambition, lacking certain abilities, and lacking perception and settled in with middle-class values and biases. I suppose, but most middle class people are mainly involved in raising their children to be good, happy adults, and caring for them in the meantime. I think perhaps this is the most admirable thing of all that anyone can do.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
You use the putdown as an ad hominem way of trying to diminish him, and then you invent something off the wall to rationalize it. Not a stellar performance.
Or her. First I have ever heard, calling someone dude in a put down. You rwnj's must be hyper sensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies