Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I don't hate, period. I dislike someone advancing themselves at the expense of other, as Madoff did. There are thousands of cases of others taking that same approach to success, those are the ppl I have a problem with. Ppl that work hard, make the right moves, and find wealth along the way, should be respected and more ppl should emulate their methods.

Someone that screws over ppl in every deal and leaves victims in their wake... Not so much. While my wife owes much of her success and wealth to Sohio, I don't see John D Rockefeller as a person to emulate. He was ruthless and screwed everyone in his path. You might admire the tremendous success and wealth he accumulated, but having studied him, I'll pass.
^^^This.

I applaud industriousness, ingenuity, creativity and hard work. What I will not support is cheating, lying, playing the system to get ahead, stepping on others, etc. Absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So lets piece this together. Democrats and such have tried to paint the picture of the people who make $250K ad the evil bankers and wall street evil.

Again, it's ok for you and Obama pawns to attack other people that you know nothing about but you don't appreciate it if done in return.
The thing is that those who would be taxed on their INCOME of $250K per year are not necessarily your small business owners. While small businesses may have REVENUE of $250K per year or more that will NOT be taxed as income. That's something you and other R's like to ignore.

Asking someone like Romney to pay his fair share of taxes and to pay the same amount, dollar for dollar, as your local school teacher is not calling the rich evil. It's fixing an obvious flaw in the system.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How about if we pay more if the welfare lifers will get off their butts and get a job. Oh I forgot, we have to do it Obama's way. Continue to support perfectly healthy and capable but lazy people and for the people that work, why don't they get off their as*es... we work to support those lazy bums.
Why are you so stuck on people on welfare? Please elaborate on these "welfare lifers" that do not work. I'm interested.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The reason you should not feed animals is because it is UNHEALTHY for them and UNSAFE for you. It has nothing to do with depending on handouts.

Furthermore, I like to think that human beings are a wee bit different from animals and I treat each as such.
Park Regulations - Petrified Forest National Park

Quote:
Do not feed or approach wildlife. This protects the natural feeding and behavior habits of the animals. Animals that beg for food can be aggressive and may bite or harm people.
Please do not feed the wildlife! - Mammoth Cave National Park

Quote:
Why is there a law that prohibits disturbing or feeding wildlife?

· It interferes with an animal's ability to forage for its own food. Animals can become dependent on humans.

· Wildlife fed by humans can become nuisance animals, breaking into tents, cars and homes. Rangers trap, move and sometimes kill nuisance animals.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:00 AM

Blah, blah, blah Observer. You know, as well as I do, that animals are different from humans. From your own link:

Quote:
Do not feed or approach wildlife. This protects the natural feeding and behavior habits of the animals. Animals that beg for food can be aggressive and may bite or harm people. Please do not allow your pets near animals. Do not handle injured or dead animals.

It's a question of safety and health too. Part of the health of the animal is the ability to look for it's own food. That meme is tired, ineffective, wrong and plain stupid. People are not animals and should not be treated as such.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,898 times
Quote:
Blah, blah, blah Observer. You know, as well as I do, that animals are different from humans. From your own link:

It's a question of safety and health too. Part of the health of the animal is the ability to look for it's own food. That meme is tired, ineffective, wrong and plain stupid. People are not animals and should not be treated as such.
No, people are not dependent like some animals such as dogs. However, we as a society have made some people dependent on handouts. This hurts them and the society in which they live. We have taken away the pride in a job well done and the rewards received from a hard day's work. It is time that we put our nation back to work rather than keeping people dependent on the government. Wouldn't you rather see more job training programs and programs to create jobs than handouts? I would support money going to these programs rather than paying healthy people to not work. Yes, we need support for the handicapped and elderly, but there should be reform to determine who can and who cannot work. Then, help them find the work they need. Most unemployment offices are jokes that do not offer assistance in job training or job placement.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
No, people are not dependent like some animals such as dogs. However, we as a society have made some people dependent on handouts. This hurts them and the society in which they live. We have taken away the pride in a job well done and the rewards received from a hard day's work. It is time that we put our nation back to work rather than keeping people dependent on the government. Wouldn't you rather see more job training programs and programs to create jobs than handouts? I would support money going to these programs rather than paying healthy people to not work. Yes, we need support for the handicapped and elderly, but there should be reform to determine who can and who cannot work. Then, help them find the work they need. Most unemployment offices are jokes that do not offer assistance in job training or job placement.
There is generational poverty. I've spoken about it before on this forum. But I maintain, because I know the facts, that most people on assistance - food stamps, housing, medicaid/medicare, energy assistance, fed. mortgage loans, student loans, etc - are part of the working poor. Therefore, comparing these people to animals is grossly incorrect and ignorant.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,475 times
Quote:

Blah, blah blah? I linked to U.S. National Park Service's website. The quotes I posted are taken directly from those links as to WHY there is a LAW prohibiting feeding the animals. You can't admit that one of the reasons given by .gov is that the animals become dependent. This is not "tired, ineffective, wrong and plain stupid". This is FACT. Could the animals also suffer if you feed them something unnatural to their diet? Yes, but that is NOT the primary reason for the LAW.

Substitute government for people and people for animals and the basic NATURE of the beasts when it comes to dependency, are the same.

(And yes, I'm sure you are a lot nicer to puppies than you are to Republicans).

Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Blah, blah blah? I linked to U.S. National Park Service's website. The quotes I posted are taken directly from those links as to WHY there is a LAW prohibiting feeding the animals. You can't admit that one of the reasons given by .gov is that the animals become dependent. This is not "tired, ineffective, wrong and plain stupid". This is FACT. Could the animals also suffer if you feed them something unnatural to their diet? Yes, but that is NOT the primary reason for the LAW.

Substitute government for people and people for animals and the basic NATURE of the beasts when it comes to dependency, are the same.

(And yes, I'm sure you are a lot nicer to puppies than you are to Republicans).
Yes. Blah. Blah. Blah. Because you are taking rules that are obviously for the safety and wellbeing of the animals in their natural habitat and trying to apply them to human society. It.does.not.work. It's fallacious and lazy thinking.

I don't need to admit anything because I said: "Part of the health of the animal is the ability to look for it's own food."

And seriously? What is with your last line? You have no clue who I am, who is in my life or how I conduct my day to day business. Yet, in a bid to comfort yourself you choose to assign negative characteristics to people like me because you can't stand the idea that liberals may actually be decent people. What does that say about you?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,204,343 times
Quote:
There is generational poverty. I've spoken about it before on this forum. But I maintain, because I know the facts, that most people on assistance - food stamps, housing, medicaid/medicare, energy assistance, fed. mortgage loans, student loans, etc - are part of the working poor. Therefore, comparing these people to animals is grossly incorrect and ignorant.
And these ppl cannot understand why it is getting harder for them to win elective office. You keep demonizing the ppl at the booton and they will show up in large numbers to vote against your"war on the poor". Equaling the poor to animal should work well for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies