Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

The Chinese are all about boosting "prestige" by building the biggest, the fastest etc.

Frankly, tons of their crap is built sub-standard and it's well documented as they've had a huge number of collapses of newly constructed bridges and so forth.

Hey, it's not like we don't jack things up as well....no different that corruption here in the states but it's VERY widespread there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Praising Pravda, admiring China -- jeez, watta buncha commies on this board.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:59 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Getting back on topic: Some structural engineers are skeptical.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/can-c...s--469055.html

Quote:
“You are talking about an enormous wind load. This document makes no mention of wind. There will be an enormous horizontal load all the way to the bottom of the tower.”

CTBUH’s Brass concurs: “There are forces working on a building that tall, including the wind. It is not a minor thing at that height.”

Leclercq continues: “By just using these simple units all put together, you’re not going to get enough stiffness; this building will have an enormous storey drift and it will sway. It would be interesting to see their concept for the structure and how they are going to deal with the stiffness, the strength and the size of the columns.
“As you go down the structure, the building will have to carry the enormous load of an almost one-kilometre high tower on top of it. You need big structural elements to deal with that. If it got built I don’t think I would feel safe in this tower, unless I had a really good understanding of how they put it all together.”
They might be able to get it up in 90 days, but whether it'll stay up is another matter entirely.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

They might be able to get it up in 90 days, but whether it'll stay up is another matter entirely.

A very interesting article. Thanks for the link.

I am still amazed that this company built a 30-story hotel in 15 days. Pre-fab, Baby!

From what I have read, so far no word on whether this 200+ story building has been approved by the government. Since the linked article mentioned that the building was suppose to begin this very month, I guess things are being held up (or, eventually, denied permission).

Old 11-26-2012, 05:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
"If" its approved by the government, and I have no doubt it will be, it would start construction next month. 220 stories is crazy high. Hell most single prop cesnas fly lower then that most of the time.

We will see.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,687 times
I don't see this as happening. I live in Chicago and the tallest building here at 1440 feet (110 floors) already sways so much at the top on windy days, it actually makes some people experience motion sickness. And the amount of space needed for elevators and mechanical stuff like plumbing and such would take up a huge amount of space. While it is possible for the Chinese to build it, it would make far more economic sense to build 2 towers of 110 floors and even more sense to build 4 of 55 floors.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
This is a concept so far as I know, the location itself is in doubt. China news always has extra juicy in it.
I looked at the picture on the link and that city looks exactly like Chicago! Not only are the Chinese stealing our trade secrets and copying our software but now they are copying our cities!

Sky City: China’s tower will be the world’s tallest

Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

Well, they've done okay with the design models they've been working on...

Oh wait...Jenga!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
the bigger and taller they are the harder they fall... we learned that lesson with the wtc..

Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
The building looks potentially ugly, and I question the design for the height of the building because of wind at that height, but the speed at which it is getting built makes sense if it is all prefabricated in a warehouse.

With this building I think there might be a number of problems, like does it have a core, how does it handle wind and sway, how does it handle commuting within the building (elevator speeds and elevator shafts.) It could take someone over a half hour to get to the upper floors.

This is really all I have seen on this building and usually I ignore these super tall buildings because they almost never get built so I really don't know how serious this proposal really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies