Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:19 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,037,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
me too,,and that is plenty tall...they dont need to go any higher than that

as to the op:

220 stories in 90 days....would be very hard to do........the empire state building was done in about a year

220 stories would have to have a HUGE base for stabilization.....

I wish them luck, but I think 90 days is too fast..220 stories is too tall
So the Empire State Building was built just under 8x slower than that plan, because 3 months is 1/4 of a year, and the Empire state building is ~1/2 the size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
I can only see this as a positive thing. Don't you think this type of know-how is very useful when the human race eventually colonizes another planet? Personally I think the building looks ugly but aesthetics aside, whether they succeed or fail, they will learn a lot in the process. I don't see the accomplishments of other nations as a zero sum game, meaning if they succeed, we somehow lose.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
With such massive structures I always wonder why the ground does not yield under that enormous weight distributed over a relatively small area

Is that the Hancock tower on the photo, or image rather?
You might want to take a course in physics and statics in particular. It pretty much explains how structures can withstand various forces.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You might want to take a course in physics and statics in particular. It pretty much explains how structures can withstand various forces.
Anything can be engineered around. Anything. Just takes the money, will, and proper understanding the laws of physics. The only barrier that is seemingly unbreakable is to travel faster then the speed of light.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I was referring to the ground, not so much to the building as such. I just read something interesting about that:

"New York City is the site of ancient earth-shaking and earth-shaping events.*(see diagrams below.) The bedrock that anchors the city’s skyscrapers tells a story of a place going back more than a billion years. The island of Manhattan is built on three strata known as Manhattan Schist, Inwood Marble, and Fordham Gneiss. Schist forms the island’s spine from the Henry Hudson Bridge on its north end to the Battery on its southern tip; it dips abruptly several hundred feet below ground at Washington Square, and makes a gradual ascent beginning at Chambers Street. These dips and rises account for the gap between “midtown” and “downtown” in the Manhattan skyline, since tall buildings had to be anchored on solid bedrock, and not on the glacial till that fills the valleys."

New York Geology

Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
When researching skyscrapers and skyscraper construction it is useful to check out Emporis, SkyscraperCity, and SkyscraperPage websites to get the latest information.

Here is my take. The Sky City proposal is just that ... at this stage a proposal. Site clearance has not yet begun nor has actual construction. It is premature to start discussing something that is a proposal.

Let us not forget architect Calatrava's Chicago Spire (slated to be for 2000 feet tall) project ... which actually got off the ground, the site was cleared, the excavation and foundation work began - but because of finances was never built.

The fact is, there are at least a dozen skyscraper buildings in China where construction actually eban but are sitting unfinished because of funding problems.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
me too,,and that is plenty tall...they dont need to go any higher than that

as to the op:

220 stories in 90 days....would be very hard to do........the empire state building was done in about a year

220 stories would have to have a HUGE base for stabilization.....

I wish them luck, but I think 90 days is too fast..220 stories is too tall
No building needs to be that tall. It is purely a status symbol. In reality, many of the largest or tallest structures in the world have limited occupancy.

Something half of a mile in height does need to be engineered to perfection, though. There is no slacking at that altitude.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
So is this image of the building in the Chicago skyline really what this building is going to look like? Aesthetically it is really ugly looking.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
When researching skyscrapers and skyscraper construction it is useful to check out Emporis, SkyscraperCity, and SkyscraperPage websites to get the latest information.

Here is my take. The Sky City proposal is just that ... at this stage a proposal. Site clearance has not yet begun nor has actual construction. It is premature to start discussing something that is a proposal.

Let us not forget architect Calatrava's Chicago Spire (slated to be for 2000 feet tall) project ... which actually got off the ground, the site was cleared, the excavation and foundation work began - but because of finances was never built.

The fact is, there are at least a dozen skyscraper buildings in China where construction actually eban but are sitting unfinished because of funding problems.
I don't know I would say that project actually got off the ground, it ended up being more of a hole in the ground than anything else. (I know what you meant, I just couldn't pass up that pun.)

Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
While many are criticizing China's construction quality, have you noticed that a new hotel tower in Las Vegas is about to be torn down, without ever opening? MGM's Harmon Tower at the City Center Project has received the O.K. to be imploded. It was originally going to be 49 stories, and was stopped at 27. The architectural firm and the contractor are pointing their fingers at each other. Meanwhile it is not structurally sound for use, and currently serves as a large billboard on the Strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies