Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,203,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Also, why should they lay off people when their income increase? That does happen a lot.
Efficiency.

To go back to AlphaMale's example, my disposable income might have increased this year but I still might fire my landscaper if:

1) I found another landscaper who bid a cheaper rate for the same work
2) I changed my yard and don't need the service, or less of a service

I wouldn't think to myself "well I don't have a lawn to mow anymore but I'll keep the service, after all I did get raise so can afford it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yet that conscience isn't big enough for you to go above and beyond. You'd rather decide that someone else should pay more.
What are you talking about?
You want me to thump my chest regarding how much I give to charity? Sorry, I don't play that game, certainly not with self-styled provocateurs on an anonymous internet forum. Go seek out Hawkeye2009, who loves to brag about how much he/she supposedly gives.
I am comfortable with my giving, just as I am comfortable paying more taxes in order to help others. This is called a social conscience. If this offends you, ignore my posts.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,167,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the old people believe that biz has rights. they can fire and hire based on their needs not the needs of others.
the young people do not. its the entitlement thing.
That's more than just an entitlement thing. That is an entire generation, the products of Progressive/Marxist government institutions called "schools" which have denigrated hard work, ingenuity, the small businessman and American exceptionalism. They have bankrupted well-meaning parents who were conditioned by the media to believe that their children needed at the very least a Bachelor's degree from a good university in order to land a respectable job. Now, 53.6% of those COLLEGE GRADUATES are un or underemployed. They're "too good" to take menial jobs at minimum wage, yet companies are in such a tight financial bind as are taxpayers, that in the Metro area at least, I know one woman willing to take jobs for $11 an hour who has two Masters degrees! Her husband's first business was destroyed on 9/11, his second business just went under, they have property taxes around $15,000 a year ...... and they are 50 years old. What are folks like this supposed to do?

Does anyone really think SS and Medicare is going to be around for today's 22-30 year olds, if left as is?

Our country is so screwed. And Obama will always suck.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Do you profit from your gardener (based on the labor of said laborer)?
More than the CEO or company does on a comparative basis.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
. and they are 50 years old. What are folks like this supposed to do?
We're supposed to suck it up, pay more taxes, pay more for health insurance to cover those who can't, we're supposed to wait to retire till later and later because Social Security INSURANCE which we paid for is broke, and we're supposed to bow down to those who think we're too old to be a CONTRIBUTING member of society... Didn't you know that?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Only the leftie idiots feel this way. Ya know, they only care about their bottom line and making sure they get their handouts. They have zero consideration for a business needing to cut back, even if that business has been very successful in the past, they refuse to look at any current situations (mostly due to BO) and admit cut backs do need to happen.

I think it is a mental disorder for them.
Oh for goodness' sakes. This thread is ridiculous.

You can't equate hiring and firing actual employees to deciding whether or not to eat out or get your coat dry cleaned, for one.

For two, "leftie" business owners are subject to the same laws of supply and demand as anybody else.

For three, the only people that count as far as "looking at current situations" are the people that own the business, you can feel however you like about something, that's not going to influence the owners one way or the other.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Do you profit from your gardener (based on the labor of said laborer)?
No there's no profit. It's a liability to your budget.
When your budget decreases then you start removing the non essential liabilities first.

Lawn service, pool service and housecleaning service are usually the first to get cut when household budgets get squeezed.

People say your time is worth money.
If I have a corporate job and I hire a guy to mow my lawn on Saturday I haven't profited at all.
I don't work on Saturday. My time is worth money but only when I'm on the clock at work.
Nobody pays me when I'm not at work.

I have a better investment if I bought a nice mower and did it myself. A can of gas once per week is cheaper than a lawn service.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People, especially in this thread, say a lot of stuff about subjects that they know nothing about. Really, it's obvious that OP and bunch of others have either never taken a basic economics course, because there is nothing in here other than straw-men, false equivalencies, and outright falsehoods. And on the off-chance OP and others did take an econ class then they should be asking for a refund from whatever two-bit school they attended.

This is all beyond stupid.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But when a business starts losing profits, they MUST continue paying for labor that they cannot afford?

They are called "greedy pigs", but you are being responsible?

It's basically the same thing. When you need to cut services, you do.....without regard for the people that you effect.

I think the problem is when hedge funds buy a company, mortgage its assets so that it can prop up dividends that the clueless public will not know is debt fueled cash flow. They essentially pay themselves bonuses for the genius it takes to apply for a home equity loan. Another great plan is to sell junk bonds to buy back stock in a debt equity swap scam that drive up the share price with junk bond debt. Plan 3 is to raid pension funds like Sam Zell the credit creating land baron dirt bag that he is.

How Sam Zell And Tribune Management Screwed Employees - Business Insider

I think that is what pisses people off, when raiders saddle companies with debt and destroy them leading to the inevitable job losses.

Otherwise I have no problem with layoffs for companies that lack demand for their product.

Its always the husk of emptied equity in the end. Make people you aim to screw the equity position and take the creditor position to mop it up.

Investor tip:

Stock buy backs are one sigh the company is being looted and debt ridden or at the very least cutting back on long term investment. Find out what is really going on.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No there's no profit. It's a liability to your budget.
When your budget decreases then you start removing the non essential liabilities first.

Lawn service, pool service and housecleaning service are usually the first to get cut when household budgets get squeezed.

If I have a corporate job and I hire a guy to mow my lawn on Saturday I haven't profited at all.
I don't work on Saturday. My time is worth money but only when I'm on the clock at work.
Nobody pays me when I'm not at work.

I have a better investment if I bought a nice mower and did it myself. A can of gas once per week is cheaper than a lawn service.
They aren't liabilities in the strictest sense. They are discretionary expenses which are easily cut. When cash is flowing, you derive some marginal benefit or utility from the lawn guy.

It's no different in a corporation. When cash and sales are high they staff up; there is some marginal benefit.

In the case of Hostess, the employees actually were liabilities and expenses. The ongoing labor expense plus the accrued pension liability. I bought a company that had legacy union pensions. We had a liability for employees we didn't employee. It took two years to clear the liability.

The Hostess case raises other issues - the employees belonged to a multi-employer pension. The next company that hires any one of these employees inherits the liability. It makes them less employable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies