Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
lol omg.... What do you say to such stupidity?

wow, is this what government run education does to people? No wonder Obama got back into office. Folks... we are in BIG trouble!
First off, I didn't vote for Obama.
Secondly, I went to private school.
Third, why not just answer the question like a normal human being (as have others on here) without acting like an insufferable blowhard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
... and you have made a slave of the person receiving the benefit or subsidy. That person is now dependent and will always vote to keep the gravy train rolling.
You have also made a slave that person who has to pay to support that dependent person.

It's a lose/lose all around except for those that benefit from this redistribution of money..the government and the businesses that process the money like JP Morgan.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because individuals and companies are two different things. People seem to not grasp this concept AT ALL.
A lot of companies ARE individuals.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Nice retort.

You cannot break my argument, so go straight to insults.
Are you kidding? Most of your responses end in a insult.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,813 times
Quote:
But when a business starts losing profits, they MUST continue paying for labor that they cannot afford?

They are called "greedy pigs", but you are being responsible?

It's basically the same thing. When you need to cut services, you do.....without regard for the people that you effect.
Like all hyper-capitalistic societies, this one is overtly structured to facilitate the economic interests of corporate entities. It's not unreasonable for the government to expect, in exchange for creating this lucrative environment, that those companies will be good corporate "citizens". There actually was a time when many companies recognized a patriotic and human obligation to play a role in making this a better society overall, as opposed to blindly accumulating wealth for owners/shareholders, regardless of the consequences.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
But when a business starts losing profits, they MUST continue paying for labor that they cannot afford?

They are called "greedy pigs", but you are being responsible?

It's basically the same thing. When you need to cut services, you do.....without regard for the people that you effect.
The difference is when business fires the employee say the lawn guy, they demand that the cleaner take on the lawn responsibilty also with no increase in pay. The business is nt going to go without, they are going to try to get the employee to accept extra responsibility without extra compensation.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The difference is when business fires the employee say the lawn guy, they demand that the cleaner take on the lawn responsibilty also with no increase in pay. The business is nt going to go without, they are going to try to get the employee to accept extra responsibility without extra compensation.
When a lawn company fires workers, it's usually because they have less jobs and/or lost contracts.
When a cleaning company loses customers they lay off their cleaners.

Demand drives how many employees are needed.

Those small business that cater to residential have been hurt more than those that cater to commercial.

And even the big corporations are cutting back somewhat. Before I left, the cleaning company was only cleaning the bathrooms and restocking in the morning (they used to do it twice per day) and office trash was only being collected every other day (memo sent to throw out food items in vending area trash cans for daily pickup).

Now I can only imagine that the cleaning company had to either lay off workers or get some more commericial contracts to make up for the lost work.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is my example of trickle down.
The more I make, the more people I can hire to do stuff for me, the more upgrades I can make around the house, etc, etc, etc. When I make less, those are the people who go. What is my other choice? I am not going to compromise my savings rate (ie, my personal profit - what I pay myself) just to keep them around.
How do you make more? By firing people here, and hiring in India, Indonesia and China? (Hint: It had been one of my responsibilities with a large corporation since 2002).

Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When a lawn company fires workers, it's usually because they have less jobs and/or lost contracts.
When a cleaning company loses customers they lay off their cleaners.

Demand drives how many employees are needed.

Those small business that cater to residential have been hurt more than those that cater to commercial.

And even the big corporations are cutting back somewhat. Before I left, the cleaning company was only cleaning the bathrooms and restocking in the morning (they used to do it twice per day) and office trash was only being collected every other day (memo sent to throw out food items in vending area trash cans for daily pickup).

Now I can only imagine that the cleaning company had to either lay off workers or get some more commericial contracts to make up for the lost work.
I understand that but it differs with certain situations. Glendale mall has 5 janitors, it lays off 2 to save money but will demand the other 3 make up for the work load while keeping their existing pay. Scott' auto dealership has 2 maintanance guys at $10 a hour, it lays off one to save money but will expect the one left to tackle the complete workload while staying at the $10 a hour.

Now if Joe homeowner has a lawn guy and a cleaner guy and stops using one to save money good luck with him if he tells the lawn guy to do the cleaning also at the same existing pay. That is the difference.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I understand that but it differs with certain situations. Glendale mall has 5 janitors, it lays off 2 to save money but will demand the other 3 make up for the work load while keeping their existing pay. Scott' auto dealership has 2 maintanance guys at $10 a hour, it lays off one to save money but will expect the one left to tackle the complete workload while staying at the $10 a hour.

Now if Joe homeowner has a lawn guy and a cleaner guy and stops using one to save money good luck with him if he tells the lawn guy to do the cleaning also at the same existing pay. That is the difference.
That's being done at all levels of business.
My dept got decimated in 2009 and we went from about 20 to 10 in a matter of 1 hour.
What about the work you ask ? Oh those of us left were re-assigned their jobs as well as our own.
That year we got no raises or bonuses yet the corporation had a banner year of profits.

Had 3 years to go for early retirement. I just layed low and did the min.
Any loyalty for the company was gone 100%...I was there for the paycheck only.

As of 2012...of the 10 that were spared there are only 2 left working there under the manager.
2 of us retired and 6 left for other companies that were coming to Austin which had sprung a mini tech boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies