Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
My greatest concern is how legalizing gay marriage would effect the Church. If marriage becomes a legal right, theoretically the Church could not deny performing marriages that violate their doctrine without exposing the church to discrimination lawsuits.

Perhaps there have been laws proposed with exemptions in place for Churches, but I'm not aware of any. I would fully support legislation that allowed for gay marriage as long as the Church can maintain it's beliefs without being sued into oblivion.
Churches are not REQUIRED to marry anyone. Many churches do not marry inter-faith couples, or people who have been divorced. A church recently refused to marry a black couple, and there was another that refused to marry an inter-racial couple.

Try to find ONE lawsuit that has found a church guilty of refusing to marry anyone.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And I see that you don't understand the difference between unconditional love and unconditional acceptance. One can still love but not accept another's behavior. The love just may have to be across a distance.
Being gay isn't a behavior. It's an innate attraction. You would be disowning your child for something they have absolutely no control over. That's sick.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
Quote:
My greatest concern is how legalizing gay marriage would effect the Church.
THAT'S your biggest concern?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Believing that marriage should be between and man and a women is NOT intolerance toward gays, hating gays, or discrimination of gays.

You kooky liberals need to understand that. But since you hear something you disagree with, then spin it to become the worst scenario, filled with hatred and intolerance, you will never understand that.
Out of curiosity, if I only support marriages between people of the same race and religion, would you consider that acceptable?

I think only whites should be able to marry whites, blacks only blacks, asians only asians, etc. And God forbid a Catholic marry a Buddhist, or a Baptist.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I think that some of the loudest rhetoric heard from the Republicans' general corner regarding gays, women, and minorities is a chief reason why they lost the election. It's precisely these medieval social views that have earned them the growing perception as being the "party of stupid", so much that even a growing number of Republican leaders are starting to realize the cost of this by now.

The kooky conservatives, on the other hand, take away the opposite lesson from this: that they need to be even kookier and crazier than before in order to fix their diminishing lot in the national dialogue. Many of them post right here on city-data.

Republicans could have an important seat at the table on fiscal and other issues if they could purge certain sectors of their base in order to evolve their social perspective from the late 19th century to the early 21st.
I think epople should alwqays vote their core beliefs.People have always voted their beleifs even demcorats have been will to lose a vote for them.I would say your post is sounds kind of intolerent and kooky.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
My greatest concern is how legalizing gay marriage would effect the Church. If marriage becomes a legal right, theoretically the Church could not deny performing marriages that violate their doctrine without exposing the church to discrimination lawsuits.
It's called the 1st Amendment. Churches are already protected. A church can deny a wedding for any reason. They can already reject people of the wrong religious belief to be married, so why would this matter? And not all Churches oppose officiating same-sex marriages. There are thousands that approve it, and most Synagogues in North America will perform same-sex weddings too.

Quote:
Perhaps there have been laws proposed with exemptions in place for Churches, but I'm not aware of any.
You're unaware of any? As I said, the 1st Amendment of the Constitution is one. And in my state, where we just legalized same-sex marriage last month, the law specifically states in it that no church is required to officiate a same-sex marriage if they don't want to.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
If Republicans let people marry whoever they want, i'd probably be a Republican. Just saying. I'm not gay myself, but i don't see how gay people getting married affects my life in the slightest.
Republican platform revolves on appeasing evangelicals, hence the embedding of social authoritarian elements. Now, one could argue that evangelicals may not vote democratic anyway, if both were supportive of elements they hated, it wouldn't be far fetched to assume that more may become discouraged voters, and in the end, republicanism may lose even more than it would stand to gain.

That they have cornered themselves, is nobody's fault actually. They are being today what right wing has always been about.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's called the 1st Amendment. Churches are already protected. A church can deny a wedding for any reason. They can already reject people of the wrong religious belief to be married, so why would this matter? And not all Churches oppose officiating same-sex marriages. There are thousands that approve it, and most Synagogues in North America will perform same-sex weddings too.

You're unaware of any? As I said, the 1st Amendment of the Constitution is one. And in my state, where we just legalized same-sex marriage last month, the law specifically states in it that no church is required to officiate a same-sex marriage if they don't want to.
As long as the First Amendment supersedes marriage laws and the Church is protected in the text of the same-sex marriage laws, I have no problem with it.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
THAT'S your biggest concern?
Yes, this is my greatest concern. Many small churches, including one I attend from time to time, operate on a shoestring budget and could be financially destroyed by a single discrimination lawsuit.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,776 times
Quote:
Yes, this is my greatest concern. Many small churches, including one I attend from time to time, operate on a shoestring budget and could be financially destroyed by a single discrimination lawsuit.
Then its time for them to be less rigid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies