Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Children are given time to use the restroom. KIds should not require extra time during class to do so unless there is a medical reason the teacher has been told about. Some kids will pee in their pants on purpose to try and challenge the teachers authority.
Seriously hoping you never come within 200 yards of a school or daycare.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
While unfortunate, the fact is that there are three scheduled bathroom trips during the day.

Yes, exceptions may need to be made, but, it would be totally unproductive if every kid could go to the bathroom whenever. It may sound harsh, but, I believe that even kids this age can and should learn to control themselves particularly if a strict schedule is kept every single day.
Otherwise, the teacher will spend the better part of her day monitoring bathroom visits.

If the kid has a problem with going to the bathroom while others are in the bathroom, or some other toileting issue, then that is something that needs to be discussed and worked out.
But, I see nothing wrong with the teacher's attempts to control her classroom, maintain order and facilitate uninterrupted learning.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
But, I see nothing wrong with the teacher's attempts to control her classroom, maintain order and facilitate uninterrupted learning.
Oh goody after four years, you've finally written something I can disagree with.

Yeah, controlling a classroom is all fine and good but we do hire adults as teachers under the assumption that they can apply some level of judgement instead of relying on formula. If that weren't the case we could just have one big classroom version of SIRI to teach our kids.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Well...sometimes when you have to go... you have to go. Yeah, when I was in school we had bathroom breaks, but there were times when nature called. Dumb move on the teacher's part.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
I have a second grader.

if my son came home and told me this happend to him, my first question to him would be "why didnt you have enough boyd bucks to go to the potty?"

Now, I would also be having a conversation with the teacher, because this clearly means there are behavior issues that arent being addressed....These are not parents that are going to the media over this. These are people that pro-created errantly.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I think the teacher should have to earn point to take her (breaks) from a jail cell this is just so not right i would remove my children from that school and sue!!!
We can't have those future burger flippers and cashiers up and walking away whenever they want to go to the bathroom. Gotta train 'em good while they're young.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Once the students hit college, they can leave class, and the professor won't care why, as long as they perform well.

Doing so usually requires paying attention during lecture and completing reading assignments.

One student in my Political Science 100 class (American Government) asked the professor, "Can I go to the bathroom?"

The professor responded, "I don't know. Can you? I certainly hope so."

In 2nd grade - a teacher should accomadate the age that they teach. Later on the child will learn self control and be ready to act appropriately in such settings.

This teacher is out of line.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Once the students hit college, they can leave class, and the professor won't care why, as long as they perform well.

Doing so usually requires paying attention during lecture and completing reading assignments.

One student in my Political Science 100 class (American Government) asked the professor, "Can I go to the bathroom?"

The professor responded, "I don't know. Can you? I certainly hope so."

In 2nd grade - a teacher should accomadate the age that they teach. Later on the child will learn self control and be ready to act appropriately in such settings.

This teacher is out of line.
as a father of a second grader, I disagree. second graders are learning self-control and proper behavior. That is a big part of what the teacher is teaching.

I can just about guarantee this kid has additional issues that the school district are precluded by law from pointing out so what we are getting is a one sided report from angry parents.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
This sounds like a mother trying to escalate a situation that doesn't require escalation. The teacher is in her first year and it sounds like she just made a bad judgment call. If this is the only issue they've had so far and its been corrected then I see no reason to try to push for suspension.

suspension? nah, fired would be alot better.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
as a father of a second grader, I disagree. second graders are learning self-control and proper behavior. That is a big part of what the teacher is teaching.

I can just about guarantee this kid has additional issues that the school district are precluded by law from pointing out so what we are getting is a one sided report from angry parents.
I don't recall having self-control problems in 2nd grade - 30 years a go.

Have kindergartens really failed our children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies