Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:05 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Naturally the common people don't want war. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. All you have to do is to tell them that they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
Hermann Goering
A fat, drug addicted, suicidal Nazi's ramblings have no bearing on what democracies or parliamentary republics actually do. That he had contempt for pacifists does not elevate the value of the latter, for that matter.
Quote:
Terrorist not I but my government is.
I thought "we" stood for "you and I." Since you clearly do not speak for anyone else here, I assumed by "we" you meant "I."

You seem rather comfortable living under the dictatorship of the said terrorist. If I lived under a terrorist regime, I'd pick up a rifle and fight it, but that's just me I guess. I understand, you'd rather take some pictures and have some coffee afterwards while regaling us with your anti-terrorist heroics on the internet.

Have you considered living under a different regime? Or is this terrorist regime in Washington not issuing an exit visa to you?

Back when I worked in the counter-terrorism business, the definition of a terrorist was one who deliberately targeted non-combatants with violent means to effect political changes. Collateral damage and deliberate targeting are not the same. I don't know very many armed forces today or at any historical period that have a team of lawyers review targets and operations for legality like the U.S. military does.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
A fat, drug addicted, suicidal Nazi's ramblings have no bearing on what democracies or parliamentary republics actually do. That he had contempt for pacifists does not elevate the value of the latter, for that matter.
I thought "we" stood for "you and I." Since you clearly do not speak for anyone else here, I assumed by "we" you meant "I."

You seem rather comfortable living under the dictatorship of the said terrorist. If I lived under a terrorist regime, I'd pick up a rifle and fight it, but that's just me I guess. I understand, you'd rather take some pictures and have some coffee afterwards while regaling us with your anti-terrorist heroics on the internet.

Have you considered living under a different regime? Or is this terrorist regime in Washington not issuing an exit visa to you?

Back when I worked in the counter-terrorism business, the definition of a terrorist was one who deliberately targeted non-combatants with violent means to effect political changes. Collateral damage and deliberate targeting are not the same. I don't know very many armed forces today or at any historical period that have a team of lawyers review targets and operations for legality like the U.S. military does.
whatever

Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
No, you're wrong again. Most lefties are against both methods and are very unhappy with the Obama administration's current policies regarding drones. I'm an agnostic on the issue. Most liberals voted for Obama because the alternative was much worse. Obama outlawed torture on his first day in office, bringing America back into the civilized world's good graces.

From what I've read, much of the argument by the moderate left has to do with the CIA's increasing militarization (use of drones) by the current administration, and the perception that we are flouting international law by using drone attacks.
Sure they are against it....

That must be why I see the big anti-war and anti-guantanamo rallies all the time like in 2008.

I'm laughing at how you think Obama outlawed torture.....oh yeah....we let our proxies and CIA perform the torture "off the books" now. If you think otherwise, you are naive.

Most libs voted for a guy that has not changed course one little bit from Bush\Cheney. What that tells me is that they really don't care about the war issue as there is no real difference between Romney and Obama on that topic.

Why don't you just be honest and say the following.....my liberal and conservative friends would never vote for the other party and will rationalize anything. The moderates just found Obama to be a little better choice overall and so he was re-elected. Ta da! Let's not pretend the far left and far right really think that hard before they vote.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
whatever
You know, my four year old gets unhappy whenever a friend of his says that. He usually retorts "that's not logical!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why don't you just be honest and say the following.....my liberal and conservative friends would never vote for the other party and will rationalize anything. The moderates just found Obama to be a little better choice overall and so he was re-elected. Ta da! Let's not pretend the far left and far right really think that hard before they vote.
Actually, the Obama campaign was able to turn out, via micro margeting, many hietherto ignored leftish voters in the battleground states. The Romney campaign failed to turn out many white conservatives in these battleground states and that demographic stayed home. From 2008, there was a dramatic shift among independents toward R from D.

But you are right that, despite Obama's previous anti-war rhetoric, the substance of his foreign policy has not been drastically different from the Bush years. It certainly differs little, if at all, from a hypothetical Hillary Clinton administration.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
You know, my four year old gets unhappy whenever a friend of his says that. He usually retorts "that's not logical!"

Actually, the Obama campaign was able to turn out, via micro margeting, many hietherto ignored leftish voters in the battleground states. The Romney campaign failed to turn out many white conservatives in these battleground states and that demographic stayed home. From 2008, there was a dramatic shift among independents toward R from D.

But you are right that, despite Obama's previous anti-war rhetoric, the substance of his foreign policy has not been drastically different from the Bush years. It certainly differs little, if at all, from a hypothetical Hillary Clinton administration.
whatever

Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sure they are against it....

That must be why I see the big anti-war and anti-guantanamo rallies all the time like in 2008.

I'm laughing at how you think Obama outlawed torture.....oh yeah....we let our proxies and CIA perform the torture "off the books" now. If you think otherwise, you are naive.

Most libs voted for a guy that has not changed course one little bit from Bush\Cheney. What that tells me is that they really don't care about the war issue as there is no real difference between Romney and Obama on that topic.

There were 2 close Guantanamo and end torture rallies this year one back in January and the other one in June.

btw that is Sr.Dianna Ortiz on the right

link to those 2 rallies below

PHOTObyTED's Photos : Close Guantanomo & End Torture | SmugMug

Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
whatever
You are doing an excellent job of convincing others... which is, after all, why you are here, right?

Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM

There will be another rally on January 11th next month if anyone is interested in going.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 PM

North Korea on Guantanamo Prison - YouTube

You should ask the lady in the video to come to the rally if she is able to obtain an exit visa from her country. Might be lots of fun.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 AM

We expect a large turnout next Saturday

STOP CIA KILLER DRONES & TORTURE!
Date:
Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 10:00am
Location: CIA Headquarters, 900 Block of Dolly Madison Blvd, Langley, Virginia
Event Details: The CIA has been found guilty by the European Court of torture, abuse, & secretly imprisoning. US Military & CIA drones have maimed & killed thousands of people in Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan, Iraq, Libya, & Afghanistan. This year alone there have been over 333 + strikes in Afghanistan. Almost 60 Guantanamo prisoners have been cleared for release but still remain captives of the US indefinitely. Stand with us opposing CIA & US Military drones used in extrajudicial killings and US/CIA secret rendition, indefinite detention, all torture, to oppose & close the Guantanamo prison camp.

Torture & US killer drone strikes are illegal, immoral, and must stop now!

JOINING US JANUARY 12: WITNESS AGAINST TORTURE

Supported by Pax Christi Metro DC, Northern Virginians for Peace & Justice, Episcopal Peace Fellowship, Dorothy Day Catholic Worker of DC, Code Pink, Nova Catholic Community, Peace & International Outreach Committee of Langley Hill Friends, Washington Peace Center, & Peace Action Montgomery County, MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies