Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times

Advertisements

There is a protest Against the use of drones by our government and the CIA at the CIA Headquarters in Langley this Saturday December 8th 10AM

Organized by Pax Christi-Pentagon Chapter, Northern Virginians for Peace & Justice, and Episcopal
Peace Fellowship, DC

This is not a political issue it is a human rights and moral issue when innocent men, women and children are killed.

This is our second protest at the CIA Headquarters, we had our first on the first saturday in November with over thirty people we expect that number to grow this Saturday.

pics from November's protest

CIA DRONES - PHOTObyTED's Photos

Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
This is not a political issue it is a human rights and moral issue when innocent men, women and children are killed.
While it is a human rights issue, it is also, most certainly, a political issue.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,094,027 times
The first time I saw the photo that shows the guy carrying the sign "Create Peace Without Weapons," I thought it said "Create Peace Without Wegmens."

I guess suburban life can narrow one's horizons.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The first time I saw the photo that shows the guy carrying the sign "Create Peace Without Weapons," I thought it said "Create Peace Without Wegmens."

I guess suburban life can narrow one's horizons.

I would make a joke about suburban white collar drones here, but that would mark me as a liberal urbanist hipster.

A liberal hipster who supports drones (far better than either A. land wars in asia or B. Massive restrictions on civil liberties at home). Though of course as with ALL aerial bombardment I hope we can get more accurate and reduce harm to civilians. And I am grateful to the tech folks who live in NoVa who are pursuing advances that will make that possible, even if they live lifestyles I myself would not choose.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It's OK. Both are equally impossible.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,767 times
Just one question: do the participants all get to sing a rousing edition of "Kumbaya" at the end of the protest?

Living among and knowing any number of intelligence types here in Northern Virginia (including an ex-neighbor who was the widow of one of the CIA employees ambushed and murdered in 1993 at the Agency entrance), let me say I have a helluva lot of respect for them and for the work they do that guarantees such basic rights for Americans as...I dunno, the right to protest at CIA headquarters?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,743 times
If you only knew what those who work at CIA do for you ... to protect you as an American. Boo hiss on this protest.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 PM

298 posts, read 681,056 times
I am in favor of using drones (and Wegman's, for that matter), but you guys are entitled to your opinion. My only question is why protest there? It would seem like a more effective place to get attention would be at the Capitol or the White House, not way out in the burbs outside an entrance to a building you can't get within a mile of.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
I am in favor of using drones (and Wegman's, for that matter), but you guys are entitled to your opinion. My only question is why protest there? It would seem like a more effective place to get attention would be at the Capitol or the White House, not way out in the burbs outside an entrance to a building you can't get within a mile of.
The CIA has an ever expanding roll in drone strikes so we are protesting there.
I have been to many protest on Capital Hill and the White House and while it is very symbolic to protest at the White House you get a lot more exposer with car traffic than you do with a handful of tourists taking pictures of each other in front of the White House. How often does anyone from NOVA ever go to the White House, I bet most people that have lived here for years have not been to the White House in years.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
The CIA has an ever expanding roll in drone strikes so we are protesting there.
I have been to many protest on Capital Hill and the White House and while it is very symbolic to protest at the White House you get a lot more exposer with car traffic than you do with a handful of tourists taking pictures of each other in front of the White House. How often does anyone from NOVA ever go to the White House, I bet most people that have lived here for years have not been to the White House in years.
good point, but who's driving down 123 by the CIA entrance? Most likely very wealthy McLean-ians, the majority of whom support defense spending and CIA drones. I'm not sure you'll get much more than the 30 people you had last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies