Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

How about a definition rather than a criticism.

What is a conservative and of course the response will be your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Again, no clue as to what conservatism is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 AM

Not very constructive to call someone un-educated and not offer some education.

How about your POV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Perhaps you are simply uneducated / unknowledgeable about what conservatives are about - sure sounds like it

Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 AM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Conservatives emphasize personal responsibility over social responsibility, sometimes in situations where "personal responsibility" may not have had much to do with the creation of the situation, more pro-capitalism, Survival-Of-The-Fittest types, seem to advocate a more aggressive, less diplomatic foreign policy, more likely to want laws on the books to protect "traditional values," have a more strict-constructionist view of the constitution, envision the 1950's as the greatest time of America, one we should go back to, maybe,

Also there's the emphasis of conformity and assimilation over diversity and multiculturalism, less likely to think mankind is hurting the environment or that the government should do much about it, more likely to drive SUVs and have a disdain for public transportation, more likely to be angry about illegal immigrants, more likely to see the world from a black-white "good and evil" perspective, want harsher punishments/less rehab for criminals, but in lawsuits (especially where big corporations are involved) they tend to be more pro-defendant and anti-victim... good luck figuring that one out. More willing to give up civil liberty protections in the name of protection from enemies abroad, but less willing to give up money as taxes to help the poor...

Also... conservatives are more likely to have rose-colored glasses when it comes to the intentions of US FOREIGN policy but also far more cynical when it comes to US DOMESTIC policy, more nationalistic, sometimes jingoistic, sometimes seem to think more than liberals that they're on a "team" against the "Anti-American other side," more likely to listen to AM radio, not as big on the "separation of church and state..."

That's my impression, at least. I guess liberals would be sort of the opposite of that.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
How about a definition rather than a criticism.

What is a conservative and of course the response will be your opinion.

Already been provided by me - please read:

//www.city-data.com/forum/1745334-post41.html

Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks for pointing me to the post.

Quote:
Already been provided by me - please read:

//www.city-data.com/forum/1745334-post41.html

Old 10-18-2007, 06:37 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
Any comments?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:52 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
I don't think you have a clue about conservatives at all.

True Conservatives seek a limited government that seeks to protect and lead and not to provide. We seek responsible fiscal policy. We seek opportunity in terms of business. We seek to be able to practice ANY religion that we so choose without government and left wing oppression of said religion. We believe in charity before government handouts. We don't want authoritative figures as we don't want to be ruled. We think that large government is oppressive and seeks to make people SLAVES to the state, not individuals, and were cerainly don't believe in one state. We are all for freedom of thought but just because you disagree with what you say doesn't give you the right to try and stifle what we have to say. And we also believe in freedom of speech but that there are consequences to that freedom of speech. We believe in personal responsibility and rugged individualism, but also altruism, simply because it is the right thing to do. We don't think it takes a village to raise a child, we think it take some responsible parents who will take the time to devote to their children. We believe in education and we believe proper education starts in the home.

That is a conservative, not asking you to like it or agree with it either.
I am just going to re-quote this. I feel it is the best description of a Conservative. Ya know with my views falling into the conservative realm moreso than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies