Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Sadly, it is pretty clear reading many of the posts on this forum that this is the case.

In this season when we purportedly celebrate the birth of someone who is honored for attempting to bring love of one's neighbor to the forefront, maybe, just maybe it is time to regard that "log" in our own eyes.

"GENEVA -- Atheists and other religious skeptics suffer persecution or discrimination in many parts of the world and in at least seven countries can be executed if their beliefs become known, according to a report issued Monday.
But it also points to policies in some European countries and the United States that favor the religious and their organizations and treat atheists and humanists as outsiders."

'Like lesser Americans': Atheists face discrimination, persecution, report says - World News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Good. I'm glad this is being discussed. I believe the U.S. is undergoing a big transition in the way we look at freedom, liberty, and individual rights. It'll be good if more atheists feel comfortable coming out of the closet. There are still many parts of the country where being openly atheist can lead to discrimination and social ostracism.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
boo hoo hoo, poor wittle atheists are society's victims and martyrs, persecuted for their religion

Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good. I'm glad this is being discussed. I believe the U.S. is undergoing a big transition in the way we look at freedom, liberty, and individual rights. It'll be good if more atheists feel comfortable coming out of the closet. There are still many parts of the country where being openly atheist can lead to discrimination and social ostracism.
No we aren't. The problem is liberals are selective with what freedom and liberty are. For example, according to the left gays have a right to get married, women have a right to an abortion; but I don't have a right to smoke marijuana (Dems have been just as complicit in the war on drugs as the GOP has), I don't have a right to my own income. Until the left corrects their hypocrisy, I'll never take them seriously with regard to individual rights.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM

121 posts, read 133,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
boo hoo hoo, poor wittle atheists are victims for living in such a crazy God-fearing world
I feel like I've been taught a valuable lesson. You've really given me a great deal to think about.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
boo hoo hoo, poor wittle atheists are society's victims and martyrs, persecuted for their religion

Funny how your so gung ho about the "war on christmas" but when it's something you don't agree with you don't care a thing about it. How very christ like of you

Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
I feel like I've been taught a valuable lesson. You've really given me a great deal to think about.
Imagine this message with the laughing emoticons actually working.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post

Funny how your so gung ho about the "war on christmas" but when it's something you don't agree with you don't care a thing about it. How very christ like of you
Take that pie chart and replace "Christian" with black and the rest of the pie chart with "white" and then apply it to South African apartheid. Are you still laughing now?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Yes, only now I'm laughing at you for trying such a preposterous analogy.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
When Atheists are constantly in the news this time of year for attacking public displays that represent the religious beliefs of the majority of Americans, is there any wonder that it reflects poorly on Atheists as a whole? Moderate Atheists should shun these people who spend their time in the spotlight making all Atheists look like petty, condescending jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies