Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should juvenile perpetrators of serious crimes be treated and charged as adults?
Yes 67 78.82%
No 13 15.29%
Other (Please explain in a post) 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,091,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
They should be tried as juveniles, and held in a juvenile detention center until they are 21 years old.
Of course, they should receive schooling and psychotherapy during that time, also.
No therapy can cure these animals.

Life, no parole.

I couldn't care less if they're gang raped every hour of every day for the rest of their lives.

In fact, I would applaud it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,674,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Any particular reason why they should be tried as juveniles and given only an 8-year sentence? Is it just because they're physically still juveniles? What if "rehabilitation" doesn't work?
Because they ARE juveniles. Physically and mentally.

If done correctly, rehab will work.

The biggest problems these kids have is their environment and apparent lack of parental guidance.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No therapy can cure these animals.

Life, no parole.

I couldn't care less if they're gang raped every hour of every day for the rest of their lives.

In fact, I would applaud it.
sick

Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,091,510 times
Quote:
Because they ARE juveniles. Physically and mentally.

If done correctly, rehab will work.

The biggest problems these kids have is their environment and apparent lack of parental guidance.
Here's an idea....if they get out at 21, offer to adopt them and bring them in to your home.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,871,387 times
Quote:
You just made that up.

Plenty of people "lack parental guidance" without shooting anyone.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Here's an idea....if they get out at 21, offer to adopt them and bring them in to your home.
If rehab is done right no one will have to adopt them. They will have the skills to get jobs and take care of themselves, which is what they would want to do, I am sure.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:04 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,214,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
The question is whether you should try non adults as adults?
It is most definitely an interesting dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
They should be tried as minors. That is why we had an official age at which time someone is treated as an adult. We use to recognize a difference between the mental and emotional maturity of adults and children. Apparently that is not the case any longer.

If we, as a society, are going to treat children as adults when it comes to crimes, then children should have the full benefit of adults, make their own decisions, legally sign contracts, etc. Otherwise it is a hypocritical double-standard.

Either they are children or they are not. If they are children then treat them as children.
What do you when children behave like adults?

How is it a hypocritical double standard? Oftentimes people on CD (I've seen it happen a lot) will use the mental/emotional maturity difference between adults and children as a way to try and explain when juveniles do things that aren't socially acceptable, e.g. drugs, drinking, etc... but where should we draw the line? They were clearly lacking parental supervision, but they were attempting to behave as adults:

Quote:
According to court records, the three boys had followed Peterson's boyfriend, William Bailey, from a nearby store asking for cigarettes and got into a disagreement with him and Peterson.
So they didn't even have any "beef" with the person they shot. She was an innocent victim. They were posting pictures on Facebook of themselves holding guns, and one APPEARS (note: I am not an expert) to be making a sign of some sort with his hand. Clearly they are very impressionable.

Lastly, how would one go about charging the people they got the guns from? Was it their parents? Another acquaintance? What if nobody knew that this is what they were doing? And rehabilitation, therapy and education don't always work, as there are statistics out there showing recidivism rates of violent offenders can be rather shocking... unfortunately, there really isn't a "national" estimate of rates of recidivism for violent juvenile offenders. Furthermore, how much difference would it truly make to put them in a place with juveniles like themselves, versus keeping them in a regular prison but separated from general population?

To another poster: Why "juvie" until 21? Why not "juvie" until they are 18, when they are considered adults? Why not send them off to big boy prison?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,681,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
It is most definitely an interesting dilemma.

No, it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You just made that up.

Plenty of people "lack parental guidance" without shooting anyone.
I said 'apparent' lack of...that means I am assuming the parents were not mindful of what these kids were up to. Maybe the kids learned this behavior from their parents! Who knows? That's why I cited 'environment' also.

Yes, plenty of people grew up without guidance or even without parents and didn't shoot anyone. Myself included. That's why this story makes the news, because it is unusual.

What was your point?

1,229 posts, read 1,150,154 times
They should be tried as adults and put in big boy prison. If you want to play with the big dogs you have to take the punishment of the big dogs. Sorry. Ass raping for life for these scum. I am not totally heartless I would give them one jar of Vaseline every year for Xmas. You want to play with guns, you have to take the consequences. I don't care how old you are. If you intentionally shoot someone your old enough to pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies