Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
Except for law enforcement and the military what problems would arise if there were no guns in this country? I suppose we would have 30,000 more people alive every year. What's that, about a million folks in some 30 odd years? I guess people couldn't go hunting. Well, there's always the grocery store. So, what would be the major problem if there were no guns in the citizenry?
You suppose completely wrong. For one thing over 1/2 of those 30,000 are suicides, they would just choose other methods. For the other half people would just be killed by something else. You think human animals are just going to not kill because they can't get a hold of a gun? People have been killing each other for tens of thousands of years, sprinkling your fairy dust and making guns disappear isn't going to change that.

What else would happen if there were no guns? Many of the tens of thousands of people who use guns to defend themselves every year would be killed. Guns aren't nicknames 'equalizers' for nothing, people like this guy https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...-home-invader/ would probably be dead.
This elderly gentleman would probably also be dead Elderly Carnation man shoots burglar who attacked him | KING5.com Seattle
These people may also be dead North Bend homeowner shoots and kills intruder | KING5.com Seattle
This man also Man fatally shoots intruder in Toledo home | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

How many innocent people are you willing to sacrifice to get rid of guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM

140 posts, read 109,162 times
Quote:
Huh? You're kidding right? You think that we need guns so that we can defeat our own government in battle? Yah, I'm sure the greatest military that ever lived is really afraid of you and your guns. Come on man. You have to be sheeting me.
I'm no military expert, but, I'm not so sure our own military soldiers will be so quick to do harm to their own people. I think it'll go against their grain.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if you mean that ALL guns could be eliminated world wide, then yes you are right criminals wont have guns. but understand that people are quite resourceful, and people can make guns from a number of things.
Singapore does it. Though they go to pretty impressive lengths do eliminate all guns in the country except for very narrow exceptions. The basically made unlawful discharge or attempted discharge of a firearm a capital offense and made unlawful possession of 2 or more firearms a capital offense. Because of that criminals rarely have guns, because if you get caught you hang, and the homicide rate there is the lowest in the world. Granted it is pretty gratuitous application of the death penalty.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
Good luck with that.

Australia passed a rather restrictive package of firearm laws after a shooting in 1996 or so, and the result was that a lot more people were being robbed by people wielding baseball bats, knives, etc. I also recall reading a story a few months back that importation laws were being tightened because people were smuggling guns into the country...

Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
Except for law enforcement and the military what problems would arise if there were no guns in this country? I suppose we would have 30,000 more people alive every year. What's that, about a million folks in some 30 odd years? I guess people couldn't go hunting. Well, there's always the grocery store. So, what would be the major problem if there were no guns in the citizenry?
Rapid Enslavement by the government of the owners of the country.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Singapore does it. Though they go to pretty impressive lengths do eliminate all guns in the country except for very narrow exceptions. The basically made unlawful discharge or attempted discharge of a firearm a capital offense and made unlawful possession of 2 or more firearms a capital offense. Because of that criminals rarely have guns, because if you get caught you hang, and the homicide rate there is the lowest in the world. Granted it is pretty gratuitous application of the death penalty.
thats nive for singapore, but how well do you think it would go over in the US? there is already a massive movement to abolish the death penalty here even though the people on death row were convicted of some heinous crimes, now you want to add gun ownership to the list of death penalty crimes? the hue and cry from the liberals would be huge.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,059,397 times
Then more citizens would lose their lives to criminals, burglars, etc. I think the government (run by the criminal elite) and the criminal underworld are secretly working together to keep law abiding citizens defenseless.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Gun Crime Soars in England Where Guns Are Banned - Katie Pavlich

Gun crime soars by 35% in Britain after guns were banned. Violent crime in the US has declined every year for the past 5 years.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 AM

335 posts, read 335,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
To support your points, most countries in the world seriously restrict private gun ownership, and it makes good sense. I feel much safer as an older person in Vietnam when I know that criminals just simply can't get their hands on guns, and that anyone found with a gun is promptly arrested.

What I don't understand is the notion that people seem to have that they need guns to protect themselves. The exact opposite is the reality -- possession of guns creates dangers that are absent otherwise.

There is a gun culture in the Americas and in Muslim countries that is, frankly, disturbing. I don't see where anyone has a moral right to possess an instrument that has no function other than killing, and personally believe personal gun ownership is immoral. That others seem utterly unwilling or unable to even consider the moral aspect of this is somewhat astonishing to me.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
What I don't understand is the notion that people seem to have that they need guns to protect themselves. The exact opposite is the reality -- possession of guns creates dangers that are absent otherwise....

There is a gun culture in the Americas and in Muslim countries that is, frankly, disturbing. I don't see where anyone has a moral right to possess an instrument that has no function other than killing, and personally believe personal gun ownership is immoral. That others seem utterly unwilling or unable to even consider the moral aspect of this is somewhat astonishing to me.
Take a trip sometime to nearby Cambodia. Over 2 million killed from 1970 to 1980, about 29% of the population. They had strict gun control in place since 1938. It did not seem to enhance safety.
Death by Government - R. J. Rummel - Google Books

To me, it's astonishing that people don't get this after the 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies