Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 03:43 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?
What do you call an assault weapon, since ALL weapons can be considered assault weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,941,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What do you call an assault weapon, since ALL weapons can be considered assault weapons.
Good point...

Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It does not matter if people have a good reason to own a weapon or not. What matters is that this country was founded on the premise that as citizens we have certain inalienable rights which include the right to protect ourselves from tyranny as set forth in the second amendment.

It does not matter what a man chooses to use to defend himself from tyranny. By limiting his choices, the government creates the environment that the second amendment seeks to protect us FROM. First they will say...You don't need an assault rifle", then they will say "you don't need a handgun, because a long gun will work just as well for self-defence", and then they will say "you don't need anything bigger than a .22 caliber", and then they will say, "you don't need any guns at all".

Freedom is just that. Either you are free or you are not. There are no degrees of freedom.

20yrsinBranson
Machine guns for toddlers! Yay! Assault rifles in the house of a mentally ill person. Yay!

Old 12-16-2012, 03:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,941,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Machine guns for toddlers! Yay! Assault rifles in the house of a mentally ill person. Yay!
Childish responces are never as well recieved as a thoughtful debate, but if you feel better..

Old 12-16-2012, 03:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,728,690 times
Quote:
Funny that you would bring up Britain. It's very safe when compared to the US.

Here are the facts:

58 Murders a year by Firearms in Britain, 8,775 in US | Informed Comment
Brilliant NewYorkGuy, (can't rep you anymore). There was a poster yesterday from Australia that said he hadn't seen a gun in 15 years because they are not easily available in Australia. Makes a big difference.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:46 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,959,940 times
Quote:
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?

Man does not exist to serve law, law exists to serve man. When law dictates to man without justification or cause, then "the law" is not just, it is tyrannical and serves the purpose of those who would use law as a weapon to obtain their wishes.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
Quote:
Funny that you would bring up Britain. It's very safe when compared to the US.

Here are the facts:

58 Murders a year by Firearms in Britain, 8,775 in US | Informed Comment
You can also fit the entire UK in the state of Oregon.

15,088 posts, read 13,460,467 times
Why don't people go ahead and own mortar launchers and napalm firethrowers, too? It should be their Constitutional right.

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
What gives you that idea?

Suppose I saw a squad parked outside my rural home. The perps have a rolling meth lab inside their Chevy 2500 van. They are armed to the teeth (NOT LEGALLY I MIGHT ADD). They won't be taken alive...they are going away for decades...three strikes and you are out.

I hear gunfire break out. I run to Law Enforcements AID...to render any assistance I might be able to...also LOAN them some of mine.
Is this serious? I really can't tell.

Assuming it is, then the rationalization is that just in the off chance there's a massive shoot out between the cops and the folks in the ca outside your rural home, you intend to run into the middle of it, with your weapons to supply the Police. Do I have this right?

Old 12-16-2012, 03:48 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,186,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The thing is that most of them are boat anchors. 9 out of 10 of these gun nuts wouldn't have the balls to pull the trigger against another human being. They just get some kind of a high out of having the damn thing in the house.

But then one of their kids goes nuts or someone who knows they have it breaks in and steals it from them and kills with it.

They should all be melted down.
Do you fart when I pull your finger?

That's about as far as you go.

I've lived through a vehicle ambush........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies