Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,454 times

Advertisements

The new classification should be...Melted into Bridge Steel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I would even be open to spending money on the issue and as a conservative, that's actually something significant.

Well bless your heart.
Hey, it's better than doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. That is insanity. Even more ineffective gun control regulations are insanity. So, let's just try to solve the root of the problem already.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,148,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
[/b]

That's what many of us fear... It's only the start.
The idea that we can't do anything regulation guns because someone may go too far is not the brightest argument.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Because of these bleeding heart liberals this country is becoming a Nazi police state too, but here instead we have the right to fire arms and to take the govt back is we must. Perhaps you never read the Declaration of Independence. Perhaps you are just brain washed.

The victims are because of the artificial life style pressed upon the people by the far left Elite.

Mind numbing liberal rabid dog rant is going to end and we will get back to Liberty and the Freedoms which are out Rights!

Poor me? I don't think so Bub. I drink the finest mountain water in the world, and i breath the best mountain air in the world to, and I am not very hungry as of late either.

Once more these children victims are directly related to the rabid far left. The far left created the Gun Free Zone, combined with the Drug Free Zone and you can see just how well this has worked since Columbine.

It is high time to set aside the far left and their ideas NOW!

ALL Public Servants should be Armed and protect the public! pretty simple.

BTW 'do you KNOW 'To Serve and Protect" does not mean the Police are NOT your personal body guards?

Let US Ban GUN FREE ZONES!
Well, then stay in your wilderness and leave civilization alone. Most people do not want to live in a world like the one you envision anymore.
There is no point in trying to kill the symptom...

Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Frankly I'm getting tired of arguing with people who don't know the difference between "clip" and "magazine," yet feel compelled to pontificate on gun legislation. I'm getting to the point that I just don't care to argue it anymore. Can't teach a pig to sing.

If limited to 10 round mags, I would not feel under-gunned. It takes me little time to switch mags. A lot of times I load my M1A from stripper clips anyway. I can guarantee that banning mags over 10 rounds is not going to solve the problem of school shootings. Do people seriously think that these psychos can't learn how to change a mag? Wear a vest with 10 ten-rd mags and you've got 100 rounds. And they probably won't jam as the CO shooters drum mag ("barrel magazine," as the idiot media referred to it) jammed.

When it doesn't solve the problem, then what are gun-control folk going to do and say? Oops, our bad?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:40 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
First off, I have never paid a BGC tax, there is no charge from ATF for each check, its a simple phone call, and I have done it at gun shows.
So then you're an FFL, you're admitting that you've abused the NICS service, or you're lying. To use NICS you have to provide your FFL ID, thus you either need to be an FFL and selling a gun, or have been allowed by an FFL to use his NICS ID to perform the check, which means he would need to record the NICS confirmation number in is transaction records, abuse of the system in this way is punishable by the FBI including criminal prosecution, a fine of up to $10k and removal of NICS privileges (which would be difficult for an FFL to operate without).

Red text is yours...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir
Fallacious argument. Even before 1986 there were very few crimes committed with legal fully auto weapons in fact there are exactly three The St. Valentines Day Massacre and one around 1980 where a cop shot his wife in bed with another guy with a Mac-10, and SWAT officer Edward Lutes who went postal on his supervisor and neighbors with his police issued MP5. There have been no other recorded crimes committed with legal full auto firearms. So for instance the North Hollywood shootout there were full auto weapons used, however they were not legal, but illegally modified.

You completly missed my point. The NFA was not when Reagan limited the pool to what was already in, it was 1934 and was created because of all the gang land shootings, since very few legal full atuos have been used in crimes so you make my point for me. LOL

No I didn't, there was no full auto crime to begin with. The only recorded event was the St. Valentines day massacre. To use an analogy, suppose that in the Sudan there was a snowfall, the people had a huge snowball fight, so the government instigated laws against snowball fighting. Then 80 years later they stated that their law against snowball fighting was a success because no one had been snowball fighting for the past 80 years. Or alternatively banning Alligator hunting in Alaska and claiming success by showing that no alligators were killed in Alaska. This is kind of what you're claiming. You need a problem to solve before you can claim the solution to the problem is a success.

Quote:
As I said in other posts, no one law or attempt can stop it all,but its a start.
No it's not because your logic is flawed, we know that the shooter bypassed current regulations and that there's little evidence that more regulation would have prevented him any more that current regulations didn't.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
You are making a false argument. No one says [well some neocons do] that stricter laws will stop criminals, but if you make it so its hard to get ahold of things they do use, they can not use them. Or use them much less frequently. So lets say Semi autos are classed along with full autos, now most people will not go through the trouble of buying one, waiting for the 6 month BGC and pay 200 for a tax stamp. So you make my point.
I don't believe you are grasping the premise behind all these anti gun threads.

The anti gun crowd WANTS to pass more laws. They think more laws would prevent such tragedies from happening again. If the criminals obeyed the existing laws we wouldn't need any more laws, would we?

Your own statement, "So lets say Semi autos are classed ...etc., is passing more laws.

You want to make semi-automatic guns extremely hard to get. Many drugs are banned completely now, How is that working?

We banned alcohol completely. How did that turn out?

Check the statistics on the clinton "assault' gun ban. Not much difference from before the ban.

Only the naive believe ANY new laws and restrictions will have a big affect on criminals and people with mental disorders from committing crimes.

Many gang members have guns. How did they get them?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
An assault rifle as it is used in todays lexicon is a semi auto with a large mag. That is the way its used and that is what it has become. don't give me this mumbo jumbo about selective fire crap. Gay does not mean what it once did. Things change keep up or get off the bus.

I am not avoiding the mental health issue. I said if you would read it that its a part of the solution. Its not a this or that, its an all of the above.
"An assault rifle as it is used in todays lexicon is a semi auto with a large mag." Only by the anti-gun crowd who have an agenda.

People who know guns do NOT.

What is your real reason to ban semi-autos and large mags?

Are you aware that with a little practice revolver can be fired FASTER then a semi-auto pistol.

Are you aware with a little practice you can reload a "small" magazine in the blink of the eye?

All of the "suggestions" I have read are only fell good items and achieve nothing in reality.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Buying a gun should come with a few new rules. Here are some suggestions:

- 90-day waiting period
- criminal background check, mental health evaluation, DNA sample (paid for by applicant)
- limit of ONE weapon purchased every two years
- two people to vouch for you at application AND at time of purchase (Canada does this), background checks on both of them
- written report of what the gun will be used for
- no more semi-automatic weapons
- ALL weapons will have ballistic fingerprints taken
- magazines can hold a maximum of five rounds
- 300% tax on all weapon sales
- 500% tax on all ammunition
- limit on purchase of 10 rounds of ammunition per 30 days
- mandatory five-day weapons safety training
- gun shows outlawed
- private gun sales outlawed
- guns can only be sold back to an authorized dealer

The tax can go towards a massive gun buyback program and to pay for the other things on the list. All guns returned will be recycled and destroyed. The price to be paid for returned guns would be connected to the weapon's firepower (more deadly guns, bigger payout). And yes, these rules would apply to hunting firearms.

Don't like any of this? Find another hobby.

Sounds like something somebody from the TC's would come up with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies