Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support an executive order to ban assault weapons? If not, would you protest the order in def
Yes, I support an executive order to ban assault weapons 68 32.54%
No, I do not support an executive order to ban assault weapons 51 24.40%
No, I do not support an executive order and will protest Obama's signature if he signs one 90 43.06%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Yes, my twisted right wing mind thinks he will do it. He's shown us over and over again before that he has no problem with executive orders or mandates.
When has he said that he will sign an executive order banning assault weapons? +

Show me one link and sorry Stormfront or Breitfart doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
No.....absolutely no

Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,520,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
When has he said that he will sign an executive order banning assault weapons? +

Show me one link and sorry Stormfront or Breitfart doesn't count.

NOBODY said he was planning on it. I believe he will based on his record of EO's and recent statements he has made in support of a ban.

By the way, those aren't my sources of news. I love how you're assuming I'm right-wing.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-19-2012 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
To those who vote no, you all have blood on your hands.

What if it was your child in Newtown?
Indeed....ALL defenders of unlimited gun distribution to a public that has proven itself untrustworthy time and time again have blood on their hands.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Indeed....ALL defenders of unlimited gun distribution to a public that has proven itself untrustworthy time and time again have blood on their hands.
It's not unlimited. It's not freely distributed.

The shooter killed someone to get a gun as he was turned away from a legal purchase.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
To those who vote no, you all have blood on your hands.

What if it was your child in Newtown?
Whose blood is on my hands? I voted no and wanted to vote damned right, no but had no choice.

An executive order that crossed the 2nd Amendment would be even more unconstitutional than a number of the EOs he has got by with up to now.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default Absolutely if Obama makes that order

I support the OPPOSITE of what Republicans want. When Republicans are happy, the country is worse off.

If this incredible President issues an executive order in light of the massacre of those kids, I am completely in support of it. Assault weapons should be banned.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 PM

But the country is worse off than it's ever been and Obama has had his way 80% of the time?

Or are we still in recovery from Bush?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
It's not unlimited. It's not freely distributed.

The shooter killed someone to get a gun as he was turned away from a legal purchase.
You're overlooking that he had a gun before he killed someone. I haven't heard any evidence presented suggesting he killed to get weapons.

This was yet another case of guns in the home being used to kill their owner or other family members, but this one went tragically far, far beyond that.

The public cannot be trusted with guns....that is beyond debate. And to answer your poll question, I support any and all means of banning assault weapons. This is a national emergency, cryin' out loud.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
No.
I believe that a deep national dialog is needed. Banning combat weapons will do no good unless there is an attitude change that accompanies it. Simple banning and a halt to production won't do much about the millions of combat weapons that are already in circulation. Guns don't just decay away with age.

The attitude change, to me, is the more important of the two; I was a hunter when I was young, and for me, the entire idea behind shooting is the use of a sporting arm and one shot. I was brought up in a family of hunters, and was taught that shooting once, lethally, was the hunter's ideal. Using a second shot might be necessary, but the best thing was to not shoot at all if one bullet couldn't do the job.

So, for me, a rifle that held 5 rounds had more than enough ammunition. If I hunted all day, day after day, and never got a good clean shot, so what? That was just as much a part of hunting as anything else. I would come back to camp, unload the rifle, and that was that. And, I never enjoyed trophy hunting. I liked to get out and all the rest, but I only hunted game I would actually eat.

My son is an adult in his 30's. He is a gun enthusiast but not a hunter. By the time he was born, I had quit hunting pretty much. We went out bird hunting a couple of times and that was it. He didn't grow up in the same hunting culture I did. His idea of fun is to go out to his great-uncle's home in the woods, set up some targets and fill the sky with lead shot from an assault rifle. For him, the whole thing is the noise, the smoke and the bang-bang-bang.

My son hasn't killed anything with his guns but some tin cans and paper targets, but he's burned up at least 50 boxes of ammunition. (I honestly don't know how much- it's a lot.) I have killed about a half dozen deer and elk and over 20 game birds with my guns, and I have purchased less than 5 boxes of ammunition in total for my single rifle and single shotgun.

I learned to shoot with a .22 rifle borrowed from my grandfather, and I did go through several boxes of .22 shells. I sometimes carried a borrowed pistol when hunting, sometimes not. I have only owned 2 sporting guns in my lifetime, a rifle and a shotgun. My son has owned at least a dozen, all combat style weapons- shotguns, rifles and pistols.

I think his use of guns is both wasteful and incredibly stupid. He says he can't use his guns like I did because he can't afford to go on hunting trips; can't take the time off from work, can't afford the gas and other expenses, and doesn't know how or what to do with a deer if he shot it. He thinks it's stupid to go trudge around the boonies all day and come back empty-handed.

And there it is. My son is a well adjusted person. He has no interest in carrying a gun all the time, believes that the world as we know it is not going to end anytime soon, voted for Obama twice, and doesn't run around with only fellow gun nuts. He locks his weapons up when not using them, and has no children, so I'm not worried about accidents.

I see his general attitude toward guns to be about two steps away from a crazy mass shooter. Shooting is not a life and death thing for him mentally. He thinks I'm out of it and far too old-fashioned. I have seen lots of blood and guts, and some of my game suffered before dying. He's never seen any of that. The closest thing he's gotten to is shredded paper. He doesn't understand how easy it all is for him to pull the trigger.

And that's what needs to change. My son is one of millions who have a big disconnect between the real purpose of any gun and the bang-bang, shoot 'em up. I'm not saying that killing animals is good. All I'm saying is a way has to be found to make idle shooting have some kind of consequences deeper than shredding paper or killing a tin can.

Last edited by banjomike; 12-18-2012 at 11:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies