Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support an executive order to ban assault weapons? If not, would you protest the order in def
Yes, I support an executive order to ban assault weapons 68 32.54%
No, I do not support an executive order to ban assault weapons 51 24.40%
No, I do not support an executive order and will protest Obama's signature if he signs one 90 43.06%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 04:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
YES, ban them and make a big gun grab. That way maybe we can see some REAL fireworks kick off!!!!!!!!!
Really, who would enforce this grab? Obama can't ban anything.... Congress can but they won't. They have not forgotten the last spanking they took.

Even if they did, who the hell would be willing to enforce it? Only a fool would try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 05:58 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
My answer is: No. First of all, it won't happen. But, more importantly, there is no point in just banning assault weapons.
Exactly, everyone knows that just banning assault weapons isn't the real goal of the left. Your true goal is to ban all firearms.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:04 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Er...conservatives/knee jerks re: ...patriot act, iraq invasion, domestic spying, Guantanamo bay, water boarding, homeland security...just to name a few.

Hyperbole much?
All voted for by Democrats too. Good thing we have a Democrat for a president and for years had a Congress controlled by Democrats so they could get rid of all that...Oh that's right, THEY DIDN'T. All they did was expand on all of it. Hypocrisy much?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,567 times
So when the National Guard/ Marines turn up to grab your self loading rifle do you take them on ?
Nothing like the sound of rounds going through a M2 50 cal, hey you did not think it would be a fair fight did you ?

But, it will be popcorn time.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:24 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Civilians don't need to conduct an assault.
And President's don't have the legal right to tell anyone what to conduct or not conduct.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,575,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Do you support Obama signing an executive order to ban assault weapons, even though it means we will not have a say?
Certainly, since the federal legislature is clearly incapable of acting for, and the judiciary positively acting against, the safety of the people, it is an incumbent duty of the chief magistrate to do so. By authority of the executive, an immediate prohibition on the sale of such weapons should be promulgated, and all citizens currently in possession should be required under pain of forfeiture to register and license them.

Quote:
I think this is an important question.

Clearly, you don't, except as a rhetorical stratagem.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:48 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
To those who vote no, you all have blood on your hands.

What if it was your child in Newtown?
I'd still vote NO. We don't enact laws in this country based just on raw emotion or just because it makes you "feel good"

My father died of alcoholism. He drank until his body shut completely down and blood started seeping through the pores of his skin. Maybe I think the POTUS should sign an executive order halting all sales of alcoholic beverages. You have blood on your hands if you don't support it, what if it was your father?

Do you see the idiocy of this line of thinking? I doubt it......

Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
To those who vote no, you all have blood on your hands.

What if it was your child in Newtown?
You, sir, are reacting without any real knowledge.

You see, there were 12,996 murders committed in 2010. At absolute MOST, 358 of these were done with so-called "assault weapons". I say at most, because that is the total number of people killed with rifles of any kind, assault or otherwise, and they don't differentiate.

So, even if you assume that every rifle murder victim was killed by an "assault weapon", which is an unreasonable assumption, it still amounts to only 2.75% of ALL murders.

To further make my point, in the same time period:

1,704 people were killed with knives. 4x the total amount from ALL rifles.

540 were killed with blunt objects, more than ALL rifles.

And finally, 742 people were killed with NO implements whatsoever, meeting their maker from JUST fists and feet.

So, 2 times as many people are killed from fists that even the hypothetical maximum from "assault weapons" (which is probably 2-3x the actual "assault weapon" rate).

So, unless you're calling for us to ban fists and feet, calling to ban so-called "assault weapons" is an emotional reaction to a non-existent threat. React as you will.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:00 PM

800 posts, read 508,914 times
Quote:
So why the heck does anyone need a flippin' assault rifle anyway, except to take out a crowd of people... you know, single-handedly stage an assault? Or has Bambi started wearing Kevlar these days?
This demonstrates how little some people know about guns and different calibers. The average "assault rifle" is a .223 caliber round which is actually a quite small bullet. Its considerably smaller than both my handgun rounds AND .308 hunting rifle rounds. Yes my bolt action rifle does more damage in one shot than the .223. Also...hunting isn't even the main reason the 2nd amendment exists.

BTW I voted in the poll before I read that it was for lefties only, as probably happened many times.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
So when the National Guard/ Marines turn up to grab your self loading rifle do you take them on ?
Nothing like the sound of rounds going through a M2 50 cal, hey you did not think it would be a fair fight did you ?

But, it will be popcorn time.
our military has taken a pledge to protect and defend this country and the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. understand however that they are, by law and the constitution, from doing exactly what you suggest. they are also allowed by military law to disobey illegal orders, and going around and grabbing the legally owned firearms of US citizens on the orders of the president, except under the right legal conditions, would be an illegal order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies