Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support an executive order to ban assault weapons? If not, would you protest the order in def
Yes, I support an executive order to ban assault weapons 68 32.54%
No, I do not support an executive order to ban assault weapons 51 24.40%
No, I do not support an executive order and will protest Obama's signature if he signs one 90 43.06%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I support a guns for chicken fried steak buy-back plan...that outta do it.
A Tire place I know gives you free beef when you buy tires at certain times of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 02:04 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This post shows the total ignorance of the subject and exactly how people's emotions are fueling this debate.

The AR-15 fires the .223 Remington cartridge. An example of a cartridge used for hunting would be a .30-06.

List of rifle cartridges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your post shows an astounding ignorance of the subject too. The 223 is a very popular hunting cartridge, I'm sure more 223 rounds are fired hunting every year than 308 or 30-06. Not every game animal needs a 30-06. Did you know that it's common and legal to use a 22 caliber to hunt cougars? 223 is also very popular for coyotes, especially when minimal pelt damage is desired. Hunting varmints, such as gophers or rock chucks, that destroy fields with a 30-06 would be absurd overkill, a 223 is probably the single most common caliber for that, even out to several hundred yards and since there are often large numbers of them infesting a field using a gun like a HBAR AR-15 is quite common.

In Washington it would be perfectly legal, although stupid, to hunt deer with a 9mm AR-15 and 30 round clip.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Knowing Obama he will likely put this in the lap of Congress to ban high capacity clips, or assault weapons all together. No leadership. No sticking his neck out. And I really doubt he would use the "sporting purposes" clause of the gun act to limit them by executive order. He craves the acceptance of elites, and want to prove to them he's one of them.
Funny I read you claim to be a vet, but you talk like a child about guns.... What the hell did you do ?

My bet is you were a cook in Navy.....

However your assessment on Obama is highly agreeable. In fact you did re-elect an idiot.

How does that feel?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Funny I read you claim to be a vet, but you talk like a child about guns.... What the hell did you do ?

My bet is you were a cook in Navy.....

However your assessment on Obama is highly agreeable. In fact you did re-elect an idiot.

How does that feel?
Please read more of my posts. And see if I voted for Obama as you claim. Use the search feature and discover the degree of your foolishness.

Then you would actually feel like an idiot. How does that feel?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Your post shows an astounding ignorance of the subject too. The 223 is a very popular hunting cartridge, I'm sure more 223 rounds are fired hunting every year than 308 or 30-06. Not every game animal needs a 30-06. Did you know that it's common and legal to use a 22 caliber to hunt cougars? 223 is also very popular for coyotes, especially when minimal pelt damage is desired. Hunting varmints, such as gophers or rock chucks, that destroy fields with a 30-06 would be absurd overkill, a 223 is probably the single most common caliber for that, even out to several hundred yards and since there are often large numbers of them infesting a field using a gun like a HBAR AR-15 is quite common.

In Washington it would be perfectly legal, although stupid, to hunt deer with a 9mm AR-15 and 30 round clip.
Please tell me that you are talking about a 22 caliber as in the size of the bullet and not as in a .22 long rifle. Having lived in an area where cougars were common, if not quite abundant, and having seen several while I lived there, the thought of using a .22 for cougar hunting is laughable. A .22-250? Possibly. However, if I'd decided to take one of these big cats on, I probably would have opted for a minimum of a .30-30, and more likely a .30-06. It would be a trade off between stopping power and distance, quite frankly. With the .30-30 or .30-06, I know the round would stop a cougar, but the .22-250 would give me a lot more running room if the first shot didn't stop him.

As for the uses of the .223, I used that round and the .22-250 for hunting "varmints" such as coyotes, gophers, and the occasional beaver when I was younger. My uncle swore by the .22-250 for hunting crows, but I always felt that the cost per round was to expensive when compared with a shotgun shell.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:26 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Question for the Democrats/liberals here.

Do you support Obama signing an executive order to ban assault weapons, even though it means we will not have a say?

If not, will you protest the executive order in defense of your fellow American's right to have a fighting chance regardless of your stance?

I think this is an important question.

Thanks
Just thought I would inform you that liberals own guns, too. I know it doesn't go along with the liberal mantra, but they do. And...also? Some of them go to church and believe in God! I KNOW! It probably hurts to hear but it's true.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Just thought I would inform you that liberals own guns, too. I know it doesn't go along with the liberal mantra, but they do. And...also? Some of them go to church and believe in God! I KNOW! It probably hurts to hear but it's true.

I know of plenty of democrats that own firearms, but know of no liberals that do. there is a difference between the 2.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

As for the uses of the .223, I used that round and the .22-250 for hunting "varmints" such as coyotes, gophers, and the occasional beaver when I was younger. My uncle swore by the .22-250 for hunting crows, but I always felt that the cost per round was to expensive when compared with a shotgun shell.
As you know, the .22-250 is a much hotter round than the .223. I know of a case where a .22-250 brought down a 350 pound bengal tiger in Nepal (no, he wasn't hunting tiger with it, but he had no choice...).

Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM

24 posts, read 19,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Civilians don't need to conduct an assault.
Really, the government continues to assualt us. They continue to pass laws and bills that we don't want and all we get to show for it is the payment book.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Please tell me that you are talking about a 22 caliber as in the size of the bullet and not as in a .22 long rifle. Having lived in an area where cougars were common, if not quite abundant, and having seen several while I lived there, the thought of using a .22 for cougar hunting is laughable. A .22-250? Possibly. However, if I'd decided to take one of these big cats on, I probably would have opted for a minimum of a .30-30, and more likely a .30-06. It would be a trade off between stopping power and distance, quite frankly. With the .30-30 or .30-06, I know the round would stop a cougar, but the .22-250 would give me a lot more running room if the first shot didn't stop him.

Yes, centerfire 22, the regs don't specify a minimum for cougar other than that, in WA a 22 Hornet would be legal. It wouldn't be my first choice for anything larger than a coyote either. It used to be legal to use a 22 WMR in some states to hunt treed cougars, but that seems like an unnecessary risk, and would seem less likely for a clean kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies