Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That what happens when you compare teachers with highly trained law enforcement officers.

Each is trained to do a specific job.

Your thread would have been much better served to asked the question "Why aren't more law enforcement officers in schools?" especially is suburban and rural areas where it seems like these types of mass shootings occur most often.

My dad was law enforcement before he was a teacher.... AP Calculus… my dad would be on VTH’s side of this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
And no liberal has yet to propose an alternative, except for more gun-free zones and "doing whatever Europe does"

Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,708,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Maybe in Mayberry where the sheriff is the judge, plumber, and apparently now, the teacher. Not in the rest of the world, certainly not in cities.
Would you really want the "shakiest gun in the west", Don Knotts, protecting your kids? Think about it man

Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This proposes multitasking. I know it's a revolutionary concept.
honestly it isnt even multitasking. you teach then if an alarm sounds, or you hear a gun go off, you stop teaching and respons as per your training.

shoot, all accross America we have people who do one job at one point then do a different job that requires different training at some other point...

You would think from the reaction of the gun haters in this thread that we were asking to pull violent felons out of prisions and making them resource officers....

what we are asking for is a chance to identify highly educated individuals who want to, to submitt to a screening process and a training program that would enhance the safty of children. man we are just morons! LOL!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Can someone tell me the difference between air marshall's and armed teachers?

About 3,000 rounds per year.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
And no liberal has yet to propose an alternative, except for more gun-free zones and "doing whatever Europe does"
LOL. You will not see a single one of these gun haters propose any solution that does not involve the removal of guns from law abiding people. They dont want fixes. They want to get rid of guns.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
I beg to differ I think I have proposed quite a sound alternative, which I thought you had accepted.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:22 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
About 3,000 rounds per year.
Dumb topic TITLE, I'll admit. Now that that's out of the way, want to attack my idea of a program involving 1 or 2 people per school that are properly and specially trained police officers whom, day-to-day, are also teachers?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
I want 1 or 2 per xxx students randomly placed throughout school, totally undercover. There's a difference between allowing random teachers to be armed (bad idea) off the cuff, and perhaps creating a program and new class of police that serves in this capacity as an officer that blends in as a teacher. Is it that rediculous to have 1 of these specially trained per school?
Why not have 1 or 2 people who are trained for this and this is their only job, not make them teach as well. It is hard to do security for a school if you have to spend your time teaching. That is like telling the air marshal to provide security and fly the plane or pass out drinks and snacks like a flight attendant.

The reason we don't have random flight attendants as armed guards is the same reason why we shouldn't be doing that with teachers as well. It makes more sense to have people who's sole job is security.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I joined the military at 18. I was trained in the arts of killing people and breaking things. When I got out of the military (at the ripe age of 22), I went to college and got a job on the local police force as a Deputy Sheriff. I even got a gun and was allowed to be in around the local populous.... How old do you think a person should be to be able to be a police officer?

As for the real problem. I suggest you consider the fact that guns are not the CAUSE that makes a person walk into a school and start shooting. getting rid of some small subset of guns in America (which is the best you can hope for and may in fact be warrented) will not fix what is wrong. That being how we treat the mentally ill who have a tendency towards violence...
Bingo, it is easier for someone to buy a gun than to have the needed healthcare to seek mental help in our country. That is our biggest problem, if only there was a way to fix that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies