Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times

Advertisements

An excellent article:

Israelis shoot down NRA's claim that the Jewish State uses more weapons to keep schools safe - NY Daily News

So Israel heavily restricts gun carrying, and Switzerland removed the ammunition for their militia issued weapons years ago. In Israel you do not have a right to a gun and instead you must prove both that you a good reason to get one and that you are qualified which means you have to flawlessly pass a 100 question test about Israeli gun laws and pass a mental health exam; fail either and they take away your gun. You have to redo this every year. Even after all that most gun license requests are denied unless you are a settler in the occupied west bank. They don't want armed yahoos in Israel proper. BTW for years the Swiss were not allowed to carry ammo for their issued militia rifle and now even Switzerland is requiring most militia members to keep their rifles locked up in official armories when not on official military service.

The NRA's habit of saying 'but look at these other countries' is falling into the old reality trap. Reality says otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 02:46 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Wow, no comments, huh? But just days ago the gun nuts were all repeating the talking point that some how Israel and Switzerland were their ideal examples. What changed?

Oh, they were proven to be completely wrong in what they were saying... That's right.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:48 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
I could care less how other government run their countries.

But funny to note the leftists suddenly caring about what Israel thinks.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:52 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

The r'tarded show that your dear LaPierre presented last Friday makes him a leftist? Otherwise, a right winger?

Idiocy.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 PM

490 posts, read 650,552 times
Quote:

Maybe you don't care how others countries run things but are you interested in ways to save lives without putting more weapons on the street?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:56 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The r'tarded show that your dear LaPierre presented last Friday makes him a leftist? Otherwise, a right winger?

Idiocy.
I do not belong to the NRA and don't care what LaPierre thinks.
My reference was to the left brained posters on this thread suddenly caring about what Israel has to say.
Go on now.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
I do not belong to the NRA and don't care what LaPierre thinks.
My reference was to the left brained posters on this thread suddenly caring about what Israel has to say.
Go on now.
Oh, I will continue putting the kind of idiocy y'all put forth, any time. But, let us revisit your idea of not caring about what LaPierre thinks, or NRA itself. You stopped by to spew more non-sense anyway, and were quickly reminded of it.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:05 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Those who look to the NRA chief as their spokeman can address your observations and the link you posted.

The NRA sides with second amendment rights and I support that. But the NRA is a large and politically connected organization, and as such I regard it with the same healthy suspicion I regard all other large and politically connected organizations.

The NRA doesn't have the final word on what is happening across the country. They don't have a handle on why these mass murders are happening, nor do they have a handle on what can be done about them. Nobody does.

The NRA is one voice in a sea of voices, trying to come to grips with the mess we're in. It does not speak for every gun owner. Gun owners are not that monolithic and should not be thought of as such.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:08 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Israel was used as an example where armed security protects schools. That is a fact.

Regarding Switzerland, they still issue the rifles but not the ammo. The ammunition for the guns is heavily subsidized and made available for purchase. A referendum by gun control advocates in 2011 was intended to have the guns stored in arsenals instead of homes. That was soundly rejected by the voters. They still keep the guns in their homes.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
I think even the NRA knows that they are full of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies