Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM

215 posts, read 182,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope for me as well. I never heard the subject even mentioned until the rise of right-wing radio shows. That's also where I first heard that college professors are supposedly indoctrinating students to be good little liberals.

Neither happened in my college career with included Undergrad and Grad School.
They are. Either you were too dumb to see/hear it or you didn't go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
actually the indocrination starts in k12, college would be much too late.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not in engineering school (I don't recall it ever being brought up) but when I went back to get my master of arts in teaching, BIG TIME. I had an entire class on racism and sexism and racism was a common theme in several other classes.
I think education classes are probably the worst for this kind of thing. Try being black and arguing with some middle age white professor that, yes indeed you should correct a minority student's misspoken English because you aren't doing them any favors for their future job prospects if you don't, and she's telling you that it means you don't really understand what it's like to be black. I about fell on the floor and she and I had an extremely heated discussion after class. In the teacher education programs' defense, teachers do need to understand where their kids are coming from in order to effectively reach them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
As my grandmother used to say "You cannot make up for the sins of the past. All you can do is start from today and to it right.". You do not make up for past discrimination with reverse discrimination today. All you do is create bitterness going the other way.
Maybe my favorite quote of all time:

We do the best we can with what we know, and when we know better, we do better - Maya Angelou

Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I went to UT-Austin in the PC-heavy mid-1990s, and it was never suggested to me by any professor that I should feel guilty for being white. I was in the College of Liberal Arts too so if anyone was likely to hear something like that, it was me.
Hook 'em. In computer science many of my professors were non-white. I don't remember ever discussing race. Before you say "Oh that's Texas" UT-Austin is a liberal campus in a very liberal city...

Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
For me, the university experience was pretty much one class after another of White, liberal professors and liberal students gushing over how awesome European/American civilization is/was.

Even when I was a self-described liberal, I had to agree. For all our flaws and crimes (if you can attribute crimes to a group collected on the basis of skin pigmentation), we are pretty damn great.

I studied Archaeology, Anthropology, Latin, Greek, Old English, Old Norse.

I suppose I might have gotten a different message had I taken Latin-American Studies/African-American Studies/Women's Studies type classes. People on the hard Right seem to think that those departments comprise the totality of the modern American university curriculum.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
No. Not at all.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 AM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It's quite ridiculous, some of this PC anti-white rubbish.

The white man should be looked up to for getting the world organised, not the other way around.

I guess that would be considered a racist statement by some, but it's just calling a spade a spade IMO

Some people are going to regard your statement as racist. This is why. Non-White peoples. especially Blacks, have been talked down to, and mistreated for a long time, so there is a feeling of "you just say that because you look down on us. why should we listen?"

You saying all of this is going to make people resist even more. It is your arrogant attitude that is going to turn people off, that is going to anger people. No one wants someone coming to them with a hubris, with a racial arrogance. It is going to make people hate you more, and not look up to you.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
You went to college????????????

Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
They are. Either you were too dumb to see/hear it or you didn't go to college.
Wow, nice, lol. Way to support your argument.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope for me as well. I never heard the subject even mentioned until the rise of right-wing radio shows. That's also where I first heard that college professors are supposedly indoctrinating students to be good little liberals.

Neither happened in my college career with included Undergrad and Grad School.
So, do you think right wing radio invented it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies