Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,429,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
But does it when read in context?

Why do you think verse 18:22 directly follows:

18:21 'You shall not give any of your offspring to offer them to Molech, nor shall you profane the name of your God. **

The lines in Lev 18:22 and 20:13 are never mentioned againoutside of Leviticus, but there are about half a dozen verses about not giving over sons and daughters to be shrine or cult prostitutes.

eg Deut 23:17: "None of the daughters of Israel shall be a cult prostitute,nor shall any of the sons of Israel be a cult 6945 prostitute.

Stongs 6945: qadesh - male temple prostitute

(Strong's Number H6945 matches the Hebrew קָדֵשׁ (qadesh), which occurs 23 times in 9 verses in the Hebrew concordance)

Read the first few verses of Leviticus 20 and see all the references about not giving offspring over to Molech. Then guess what? Yes the other Leviticus verse (20:13) used against gay men follows those verses just like in Lev 18:22

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Lev&c=20&t=NASB#2

** Some translations say 'pass through the fire' of Molech. But this is not in the original Hebrew. Molech was a Canaanite god. Look up references to Molech in the OT to see the connection to shrine prostitutes Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for NASB.

To me, it's so obvious that Lev 18:22 and 20:13 are references to male shrine prostitution when you follow simple honest Biblical hermeneutics. Sadly, many people are just fed those 2 verses out of context to regurgitate against gay people and never even bother to look into it any further.
I know they were talking about temple prostitution. But when you take the bible as a literal translation, and don't understand that the English translation is a little "off", it means exactly what the words mean.

I don't buy any of the laws in Leviticus, women leaving town, no pork, no man on man sex (notice they didn't say anything about women), etc.

But the words are there.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
there doesn't need to be a "constitutional argument against gay marriage" the constitution allows the states to do what ever they want provided it doesn't violate the constitution (which it clearly doesn't).
Granting one citizen a right that another is denied on the federal level is unconstitutional, and its why the state laws will be unconstitutional.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Oh you mean the passage in Leviticus where it says a man shall not lay with a man as he would a woman? Meaning he can't have sex the same way with a man as he would a woman?

That passage in Leviticus?

Yeah try harder next time when using a religious text that has nothing to do with civil rights or equality when discussing a secular matter.

Maybe you should reread all that I wrote. Leviticus prohibits homosexual male acts, not women, but men. The words are there.

As I said before, as it also lists that women must leave town on their period,, I don't see people pushing that biblical law.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM

990 posts, read 941,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Any parent that is comfortable having their boys on a baseball team , coached by someone who takes them to a gay parade is right out of their skull. Everybody's innocent today...right..? ( re a post in here which quite frankly is hard to believe

Jerry Sandusky Interview; Tells NBC's Bob Costas He Is Innocent of Sex Crime Charges - YouTube

Wow, are you people completely braindead?

I never said I take them to the pride parade. I said they go together as a team.

I have nothing to do with them going to the Gay Pride Parade...I won't even go to those things...I was merely pointing out how 14 year old jocks today are far more accepting and comfortable around gays.

And calling me a child molestor for being one of the few people actually willing to VOLUNTEER MY TIME WITH INNER-CITY TEENAGERS is despicable and clearly a violation of Jesus' "judge lest ye be judged". Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

You people talk about Jesus and all that nonsense, but you clearly do not follow his will as much as I do, and I'm an Atheist.

I actually care about society, I help others in need, I volunteer my time and donate my money to provide a better future for these kids living in the ghetto. WHAT DO YOU DO OTHER THAN SPEW HATE AND IGNORANCE?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 AM

990 posts, read 941,050 times
Quote:
I'm not a jewel dealer but your attacking Orthodox Jewish diamond dealers for using "blood diamonds" is Al Sharptonisc and show me how anti semtic gay marriage supporters are. People like you have Jewish blood on your hands.
No, I have Jewish blood in my veins.
My Jewish ancestors suffered through the holocaust and inquisition.
And you said MULTIPLE times in this thread that you sold diamonds. You complained about how because you don't want to sell diamond rings to gays that it's violating your religion:
Quote:
no Orthodox Jew can sell a wedding ring for a "wedding" between to members of the same sex. they want to kick Orthodox Jews out of the diamond industry or force them to violate their religion.
Remember, this is the internet, what you write stays written...

Stop calling everyone an anti-Semite, but then again it just proves that you have absolutely nothing to stand on in this argument and that you've admitted that you lost the argument.

You don't rebut the actual facts, and those prove that even Israel supports same-sex marriage. Your bigotry has clearly fallen to the losing side.

Calling people who were Bar Mitvahed and Confirmed as members of the Jewish Temple (and whose father built one of the world's largest Jewish Community Centers) anti-Semites is really as dumb as it gets. Come up with a different insult for me, because I'm OBVIOUSLY not an anti-Semite.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,508,665 times
Quote:
you can remind me 1 billion time it will make no difference Loving was decided based on procreation. read what I wrote on that earlier in this thread.
No it was not.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,797,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You should read Leviticus. It clearly prohibits men having sex with one another. Of course it also had a lot of other stupid laws, like women have to leave the city when on their period. I don't see people pushing that.
No, actually Leviticus doesn't. It prohibits pagan worship rituals and forcing a man into the beds of a woman as favor to the Caananite fertility goddesses. Have you ever actually read the original context or Hebrew of that verse? I have not met a single person who uses that verse to condemn gays, and bothers to read it in context or original language.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
But does it when read in context?

Why do you think verse 18:22 directly follows:

18:21 'You shall not give any of your offspring to offer them to Molech, nor shall you profane the name of your God. **

The lines in Lev 18:22 and 20:13 are never mentioned againoutside of Leviticus, but there are about half a dozen verses about not giving over sons and daughters to be shrine or cult prostitutes.

eg Deut 23:17: "None of the daughters of Israel shall be a cult prostitute,nor shall any of the sons of Israel be a cult 6945 prostitute.

Stongs 6945: qadesh - male temple prostitute

(Strong's Number H6945 matches the Hebrew קָדֵשׁ (qadesh), which occurs 23 times in 9 verses in the Hebrew concordance)

Read the first few verses of Leviticus 20 and see all the references about not giving offspring over to Molech. Then guess what? Yes the other Leviticus verse (20:13) used against gay men follows those verses just like in Lev 18:22

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Lev&c=20&t=NASB#2

** Some translations say 'pass through the fire' of Molech. But this is not in the original Hebrew. Molech was a Canaanite god. Look up references to Molech in the OT to see the connection to shrine prostitutes Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for NASB.

To me, it's so obvious that Lev 18:22 and 20:13 are references to male shrine prostitution when you follow simple honest Biblical hermeneutics. Sadly, many people are just fed those 2 verses out of context to regurgitate against gay people and never even bother to look into it any further.
People like to ignore the obvious context related to Molech and the Caananites. They don't realize there were no chapter or verse numbers originally. Leviticus 18:21 was a completely separate shift in contextual discussion. Why would the beginning of the chapter discuss forbidden incest relations and then abruptly shift to child sacrifice before Molech, only then to discuss Leviticus 18:21? It's clear that verse is intended to refer to the pagan worship practices the Caananites did, including child sacrifice and prostitution.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
gays are equal.
a "gay" can marry a member of the opposite sex
a "straight" can marry a member of the opposite sex
a "gay" can't marry a member of the same sex
a "straight" can't marry a member of the same sex
everybody's equal

how many times do I have to chart this out before you are smart enough to get that?
How many times do you have to be told that argument doesn't fly in the legal arena? It didn't work for interracial marriage, it won't work here. The law cannot stop someone from marrying the person of their choosing with no compelling state interest. And there is no compelling state interest. It's obvious you will never be smart enough to get that.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Oh you mean the passage in Leviticus where it says a man shall not lay with a man as he would a woman? Meaning he can't have sex the same way with a man as he would a woman?

That passage in Leviticus?

Yeah try harder next time when using a religious text that has nothing to do with civil rights or equality when discussing a secular matter.
It still baffles me that people don't grasp the glaring English issue with that verse (ignoring the much more complicated Hebrew/context verses).

How does a man have sex with another man as he would a woman? If Judaism is condemning male/male sex, it's because it doesn't lead to procreation. But then why does it say, "As with a woman"? Man can't have sex with a man as he would a woman, because men don't have vaginas. And it sure as heck isn't condoning anal sex with a woman, seeing as that doesn't lead to procreation either.

That's glaring proof that verse does not mean what anti-gay people think it means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.