Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,305 times

Advertisements

I especially love when that womyn was speaking about her daughter; sounded like me with my daughter, had to teach her how to love her beautiful hair. Now she's happy with it and wants to get locs like mommy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I wish that black women would stop messing with chemicals and other garbage when it comes to hair.

My mom and all of my sisters wear their natural hair, just like it was meant to be.
It's no different than white women getting perms.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooka View Post
Who the heck cares. Man is that all black women have to talk about is hair? It looks like pubic hair does this not turn on the hood rats?
Gee, that's not offensive at all.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It shouldn't be an issue. The three women other look pretty, I don't care for the long braids as much - is that considered natural?
The Chris Rock movie blatantly ignored the HUGE natural hair movement which has been gaining in numbers for nearly a decade. This is natural afro-textured hair...no relaxers, no chemicals just beautiful hair!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Once a week????
I'm black bruh. We don't have to wash our hair daily because black hair doesn't get oily, and doesn't have an odor even when it gets dirty. Black women that get perms almost never wash their hair between treatments.

LMAO...not trying to be an ass, but I keep telling yall that you know nothing about black folks.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Once a week????
Yeah, black hair is a lot different; if they wash it too often, it dries out and breaks. It's very fine. I had a roommate in high school who straightened her hair with a hot comb. She certainly didn't wash her hair more than twice a week. Me? I have to wash my hair every couple of days, or it gets flat and greasy. Typical white person hair.

A few years later, I stayed with a black family for a few weeks when I was waiting for an apartment. The mom and daughter did their hair natural; the girl favored braids. Her mom did her hair, and it took 3 hours to get all the braids done, but it lasted several weeks.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm black bruh. We don't have to wash our hair daily because black hair doesn't get oily, and doesn't have an odor even when it gets dirty. Black women that get perms almost never wash their hair between treatments.

LMAO...not trying to be an ass, but I keep telling yall that you know nothing about black folks.
I may be envious of this.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Once a week????
I co-wash (which means conditioner wash) about every other day.

In general it is damaging (ie strips the natural hair oils) to wash very curly/coily/tightly coiled hair every day with shampoo and making hair dry. However, co-washing does not strip the hair of its natural oils and replenishes moisture (which most with curly/coily/tightly coiled hair needs to prevent dry hair)

Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I co-wash (which means conditioner wash) about every other day.

In general it is damaging (ie strips the natural hair oils) to wash very curly/coily/tightly coiled hair every day with shampoo and making hair dry. However, co-washing does not strip the hair of its natural oils and replenishes moisture (which most with curly/coily/tightly coiled hair needs to prevent dry hair)
A lot of people are doing "no poo" these days, not using shampoo on their hair (white, black, and other). I have not tried it, but I may look into it.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
A lot of people are doing "no poo" these days, not using shampoo on their hair (white, black, and other). I have not tried it, but I may look into it.
Yep. I don't use shampoo at all. I co-wash or deep condition only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies