Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

I have a question for the AA men and women on this thread. This is a sincere question.

Isn't it sort of a tradition, dating back to Africa, for black people with African roots to invest lots of time and energy into elaborate hairstyles?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...M1ke_oKBPzpNVQ

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Do3YIis72rSQOc

http://66.147.244.55/~anothew6/wp/wp.../04/Hair_2.jpg

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/photobooth/100920_ojeikere-1_p465.jpg

It seems we are talking about two different approaches here. One is the attempt to straighten naturally curly hair into hairstyles that are considered, for lack of a better word, "white." The other is the desire to wear creative hairstyles that one considers attractive. Both require a lot of time and effort (and usually money). And would you say that, if given the opportunity to use chemicals to straighten hair, as another creative option, African women wouldn't use those tools as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
African women straighten their hair all the time.

And yes, elaborate hair styles have always been a big part of women's history on the continent. Very astute of you to point that out.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I wish that black women would stop messing with chemicals and other garbage when it comes to hair.
I agree, I love black women's hair and there are so many different kinds. Natural is always better.

I am white but have really thick curly hair and can get away with washing my hair once or twice a week.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
O couldn't keep his cap on, he had so much 'fro!
Whoa! You went waaaaaay back on that one. I remember trading away my Oscar gamble baseball card for a Ron Cey card. I had to buy a million packs of Topps to get another one.

And don't forget the Sylver's. Now they had some serious fro going on.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,752 times
This is what I do as well - I use Wen cleansing condition every 2-3 days, since I work out a lot.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I co-wash (which means conditioner wash) about every other day.

In general it is damaging (ie strips the natural hair oils) to wash very curly/coily/tightly coiled hair every day with shampoo and making hair dry. However, co-washing does not strip the hair of its natural oils and replenishes moisture (which most with curly/coily/tightly coiled hair needs to prevent dry hair)

Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Interesting the direction this thread went.

As much as I can't stand Obama or his politics (no suprise to anyone here) I was very intrigued by the image of the little boy touching Obama's head in a way to make a physical contact and place context on the President as a person in relation the little boy himself.

Chris Rocks movie while enlightening isnt the direction I was looking for this thread to go. desertdetroiter kinda kept it on the straight and narrow but I feel it has veered into a beauty and fashion thread more than a cultural political discussion.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Its not really a judgement. Its simply the truth that chemical relaxers are profoundly damaging. If anything, women are bashing themselves when they engage in any form of self-torture. Putting a highly toxic chemical on one's head that can literally burn the scalp is self-torture. Those chemicals can eat away an aluminum can. Why would anyone continue using those chemicals when they are clearly destructive, and just painful. Discontinuing the use of those toxic chemicals is getting a life. A healthier one.
Well, start by telling most HUMANS that. First, many people color their hair...chemicals. Some people use cleaners that are chemicals, people work in factories, people shoot silicon and botox in their bodies. People drink liquor and smoke cigarettes. People eat chicken, fish and beef that are full of hormones and antibodies that can be harmful and may be the reason for a increase in cancer. So please...with the HIGHLY TOXIC bull.

Second, if it is applied correctly, it doesn't burn anyone's scalp. Anything can burn a scalp or skin if not applied correctly. Many prescription medicines are dangerous with improper use. It's not painful if used correctly. Well, America is addicted to chemicals so I guess our society needs it. But to address it as one particular cause and grouping black women is laughable.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Quote:
They're talking about white women too when they use that word.

Don't try to say what rappers say. They say the N word and the H word all the time. You can't get away with it though. Deal with it.
It's not surprising that someone would try to spin the issue into another black bashing yet the person forgets to mention the numerous country and rock singers that SING about cheating. Isn't that basically calling your mistress or spouse a ho, b**** or just plain f off? I think so. Don't throw stones....

Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 PM

353 posts, read 395,563 times
Quote:
I'm black bruh. We don't have to wash our hair daily because black hair doesn't get oily, and doesn't have an odor even when it gets dirty. Black women that get perms almost never wash their hair between treatments.

LMAO...not trying to be an ass, but I keep telling yall that you know nothing about black folks.
Sorry, but you're wrong about this. Black women who have perms typically wash their hair once a week. I don't know any black women that would forgo washing their hair for 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies