Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I may be envious of this.
Meh....don't be. It's overrated when you add up the other bull that goes along with it. Just read these threads for example.

But I'm not complaining...its one less headache for me to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yep. I don't use shampoo at all. I co-wash or deep condition only.
Why does the term "co-wash" conjur up images of conserving water by showering with a friend?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I co-wash (which means conditioner wash) about every other day.

In general it is damaging (ie strips the natural hair oils) to wash very curly/coily/tightly coiled hair every day with shampoo and making hair dry. However, co-washing does not strip the hair of its natural oils and replenishes moisture (which most with curly/coily/tightly coiled hair needs to prevent dry hair)
My sister co washes once a week. She wears dreads...and she has never looked so beautiful and radiant since she went natural a few years ago. Says she gets hit on twice as much.

I saw the actress Erika Alexander about 3 years ago, and she was wearing the most beautiful natural hairstyle....I couldn't get over how gorgeous she was. I'm still dreaming about that encounter. Lol

Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Why does the term "co-wash" conjur up images of conserving water by showering with a friend?
LMAO......nice!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My sister co washes once a week. She wears dreads...and she has never looked so beautiful and radiant since she went natural a few years ago. Says she gets hit on twice as much.

I saw the actress Erika Alexander about 3 years ago, and she was wearing the most beautiful natural hairstyle....I couldn't get over how gorgeous she was. I'm still dreaming about that encounter. Lol
Exactly

There are a lot of Black women (celebrities and non-celebs)who are rocking their natural hair. And this is one of the things that annoyed me most about Chris Rock's mockumentary. The thing is that most women who are wearing their hair in natural styles have no need to frequent hair salons and thus were not a part of his story.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Meh....don't be. It's overrated when you add up the other bull that goes along with it. Just read these threads for example.

But I'm not complaining...its one less headache for me to deal with.
LOL, I hear you.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Exactly

There are a lot of Black women (celebrities and non-celebs)who are rocking their natural hair. And this is one of the things that annoyed me most about Chris Rock's mockumentary. The thing is that most women who are wearing their hair in natural styles have no need to frequent hair salons and thus were not a part of his story.
My hope is that the film helps black women to see the light. All those weaves and chemical treatments are just terrible, and is making a lot of non blacks pretty goddamn wealthy. Hundreds of millions of dollars per year. It's a travesty.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,286 times
Quote:
The Chris Rock movie blatantly ignored the HUGE natural hair movement which has been gaining in numbers for nearly a decade. This is natural afro-textured hair...no relaxers, no chemicals just beautiful hair!

These styles are gorgeous.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times
Just a few random thoughts about black womens' hair:

1. I watched five minutes of the clip in the OP - all the women had different hair styles, but every single one of them looked lovely. Bright, intelligent, attractive women all.

2. I read something years ago that many black women do not exercise because of their hair. Many spend so much money on their hair, and sweat and body oils would damage their styles so they just did not work out. That would have ramifications related to body weight, overall health, even such things as body image and self esteem issues (particularly among teen girls).

3. I don't see it as much these days but I remember seeing some black women years ago with VERY intricate hairstyles. The one that really sticks in my mind was seeing a woman (maybe in her late 20's) with some kind of bird cage looking hairstyle. Hair all piled on top of her head and then slicked into four separate "bars to the cage". Each of the bars (slick strips of hair) were rounded above her head and then met to form the top of the cage about 2 feet above her head - can't explain it very well but it was very weird. I will never understand what she was thinking to do that.

4. A young black woman used to come into the building where I worked on a regular basis. She had long straight hair that she always tied back into a pony tail. One day she walked into the building and had short hair and I commented on her hair cut. She told me that she hadn't got it cut. Confused I looked at her and insisted that her hair looked shorter. She told me "Oh! I've got my hair in the bag!" She reached into her plastic grocery bag and pulled out her pony tail and layed it on the counter in front of me. I didn't know at that point just how many black women use hair extensions.

RE: guys. I like short hair on men, and think that both black and white men look way WAY more attractive with short hair. Personal preference.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:

I bet you are.

I know I would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies