Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Com'n Reb, get serious. You don't seeNot
The Part that everybody leaves out of course then is "Well, if one race is more intelligent, should not that race better stay in control of things and keep the other races down the way they always have been in the past? Should not we keep the races separate?" And then you tiptoe down the path to the Third Reich again .
Taken almost whole-cloth from my own post, at least as I meant to state it. Perhaps we're not so far apart, after all?....The pure scientific "knowledge" would take a back seat to the evil agendas that the info would without doubt be used to further.....

Old 10-20-2007, 04:47 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,123 times
Texasreb, I appreciate you being tired in your mind of "not getting a fair shake" in terms of open racial discussion. Which if I am interpreting your response correctly is what it boils down to. And I am all for examining the evidence that is brought forward. We in this particular thread however - are not discussing athletic ability or work ethic or size of body organs. We are discussing intelligence.

So let's discuss it. Let's start all over. Who can show how or why one race might be considered to have more intelligence than another race? That is the assumption of the thread, after all.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Texasreb, I appreciate you being tired in your mind of "not getting a fair shake" in terms of open racial discussion. Which if I am interpreting your response correctly is what it boils down to. And I am all for examining the evidence that is brought forward. We in this particular thread however - are not discussing athletic ability or work ethic or size of body organs. We are discussing intelligence.

So let's discuss it. Let's start all over. Who can show how or why one race might be considered to have more intelligence than another race? That is the assumption of the thread, after all.
Not to butt in, Bily4, but once again, what exactly is intelligence anyway? Math ability? Physics? Linguistics? It's almost impossible even to define to everyone's agreement. Is it "book learnin' " or practical common sense? Is it the ability to run a "nice" society, or to get people working together, or to convince them to cooperate? Or is intellingence simply the ability to put a man on the moon? Does intelligence have anything at all to do with morality; with good vs evil? Or are these outside the parameters of our definition?

Quite frankly, I doubt you could come up with ANY definition the wasn't wide open to all sorts of reasonable objections. And that's ON TOP of all the "evil uses" that the info would be put to....

Old 10-20-2007, 04:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
We all interpret what we read also. When I asked that we stay on topic, and suggested that this thread was beginning to become problematic, it was the aforementioned post, and bily4's response that I was reacting to in my request.

I value good discourse, and want to keep all lines of communication open, but when I suspect even veiled racism, or implied racism, and judge it by the criteria I posted earlier, I call it like I see it.

Thanks for all the good discourse. And keep it within the bounds I've established.

Quote:
Seems like a silly idea to me. The kids all graduate and then what? Go to work in companies and be productive members of society with all these other "strange colored" people and everyone is supposed to work together just fine?
Or are you suggesting we all just split the country up into BlackLand, HispanicLand, WhiteLand, and let the Native Americans keep their reservations?

No, I think it is probably better to get the kids together and find out the other kids are not so scary, before they inheirt the biases and stereotypes passed down from their parents.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not to butt in, Bily4, but once again, what exactly is intelligence anyway? Math ability? Physics? Linguistics? It's almost impossible even to define to everyone's agreement. Is it "book learnin' " or practical common sense? Is it the ability to run a "nice" society, or to get people working together, or to convince them to cooperate? Or is intellingence simply the ability to put a man on the moon? Does intelligence have anything at all to do with morality; with good vs evil? Or are these outside the parameters of our definition?

Quite frankly, I doubt you could come up with ANY definition the wasn't wide open to all sorts of reasonable objections. And that's ON TOP of all the "evil uses" that the info would be put to....
Excellent points Macmeal, that point to the basic ridiculousness of this thread in the first place. You don't have to be "PC" to point this out.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:04 PM

So unless the last couple of members posting object (bily4, Macmeal and Tex) I think it may be time to close this thread. (Hope I didn't miss anyone).

All in favour?

Quote:
Excellent points Macmeal, that point to the basic ridiculousness of this thread in the first place. You don't have to be "PC" to point this out.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Anybody have any closing points?..Not I...thanks. ontheroad, for the "extension"....

Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 PM

Ontheroad, you do what you have to do...

Old 10-20-2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks. Over and out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies