Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
A livable wage? Why is anyone entitled to that? The living standards of a country are dependent on the productivity of the economy. You want to earn more learn skills that command more. We all want safe good schools but much of the success of schools occur outside the classroom.
Or you could do what all the young people moving to Portland are doing and work a part time job and live with five roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
I'm not understanding this fixation Obama and liberals have with equality. Folks have varying degrees of skills that are demanded in the market place. Is the goal here to have some unskilled worker live in the same manner as somebody who went to school to develop skills in demand like becoming a doctor?

To me equality means equality under the law and a fair chance to improve your life through the choices and efforts you make. What's the end game in regards to equality for you liberals?
Government policy effects inequality. The New Deal empowered workers and creating a middle-class society. The policies of the last 30 years undid some of that; slowed the growth of the minimum wage; was hostile to unions and collective bargaining, lowering taxes on the upper incomes, etc. -- resulting in the income growth of the top 1% reaching about 300% over the last 30 years compared to 15% for everyone else.

Now, the policies of Obama has reduced the income of the top 1% by 6%, which was transferred downward. I'd hardly call concern over income inequality "obsession" -- which is a huge problem for the middle class.

But if you want to read a good piece on the topic, I suggest reading:
Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Vanity Fair

Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
Quote:
I'm not understanding this fixation Obama and liberals have with equality. Folks have varying degrees of skills that are demanded in the market place. Is the goal here to have some unskilled worker live in the same manner as somebody who went to school to develop skills in demand like becoming a doctor?

To me equality means equality under the law and a fair chance to improve your life through the choices and efforts you make. What's the end game in regards to equality for you liberals?
your black right?

you know you are more likely to get a tougher sentence for the same crime a white commits.

like others have said, equality under the law.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Government policy effects inequality. The New Deal empowered workers and creating a middle-class society. The policies of the last 30 years undid some of that; slowed the growth of the minimum wage; was hostile to unions and collective bargaining, lowering taxes on the upper incomes, etc. -- resulting in the income growth of the top 1% reaching about 300% over the last 30 years compared to 15% for everyone else.

Now, the policies of Obama has reduced the income of the top 1% by 6%, which was transferred downward. I'd hardly call concern over income inequality "obsession" -- which is a huge problem for the middle class.

Vanity Fair is in the obamas pocket as the top person at Vanity is friends with Michelle obama.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is selective equality and does not include conservatives, gun owners and bible thumpers.
Yes, because those you listed are definitely not being treated fairly, right?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:

Liberals want everyone to live equally but they don't want everyone to have to work equally or pay taxes equally.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Default Explaining it to you would be useless

The older you are, the more ashamed you should be if you don't understand this. It's as fundamental is reading.

Since you are pretending here as if you don't understand, explaining it to you would be as useless as a blind man turning around to look.

I hope you get better.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
your black right?

you know you are more likely to get a tougher sentence for the same crime a white commits.

like others have said, equality under the law.
I avoid these problems by not committing crimes. Shocking I know but there you have it.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,581 times
Quote:

The fixation with equality is a red herring to breed division fueled by jealousy, envy and hate.
As long as they can exploit the idiots who wan't 'equality' and keep us at each others throats over stupid social issues - give me a break,

- you're a misogynist if you think women should buy her own birth control?
- a homophobe if your sick of hearing gays whine about marriage and wanting to be a 'normal' family
- an islamaphobe is your not too stupid to realize they are a political movement and serious threat to any free society
- you hate children if you point out gun free school zones is the equivelant of painting a target on their foreheads
- a racist if you believe someone isn't above criticism because they are black
- a fascist if you are pay your employee's commiserative to their contributions to your company
- a heartless bastard if you point out that we cannot afford the entitlement programs we have

We have become a WEAK and SICK society by allowing our children to be indoctrinated into leftist ideology

Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

The New Deal was about to go down as a bust if not for the war, please. So income equality is about reducing the incomes of the wealthy in the theory the money trickles down to the poor. Well after the DC hacks get their cut first of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies