Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Who says that I haven't? It just doesn't stop me from setting and obtaining goals.

Besides why would I base my world outlook based on the isolated experience in Boston 20 years ago?
If you are falsely accused of something and sent to prison it sure would stop you from obtaining those goals

and The reason for the second one is that things like that didnt stop happening 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Equality when it comes to wages has to do with equal work for equal pay.

Equality when it comes to sexuality means let gay people get married because they are humans like everyone else.
Women tend to work at roles that command on average lower pay than men.

Human beings are allowed to married. It's just that since time immemorial across all human societies whatever passed for marriage was between a man and a woman. Gays aren't being denied anything. No one is born a gay they maybe inclined to homosexual relations but being gay is not an immutable characteristic.

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
We all have equal opportunity in a way.

ie: The poor have the freedom to be poor as do the rich.

but usually the rich choose not to exercise this right.

(add sarcastic icon here) lol

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Yup, it's all about this imaginary Utopia that libs think that can create here on earth, if we just make it the law, that everyone is equal, then it will just magically happen.

What libs fail to realize is that some people are just anti-social, self destructive, or just flat out lazy. Sometimes a person does not get promoted, earns a low wage, because they are lazy, dishonest, manipulative, and because they are any employer's worst nightmare.

Sometimes a person is poor, or keeps getting fired because they did it to themselves,and not because some mean person suppressed them, abused them, or was unfair to them.

There are people who are legitimately down on their luck and need a helping hand to get back on their feet. Those people deserve our help and assistance, no conservatives i know disagree with this. But some people will always bite the hand that feeds them, will always **** away their lives, be anti-social and behave like a criminal, and they enjoy bringing down anyone stupid enough, or unfortunate enough to associate with them.

But what about those that you conviently ignored, those who cannot get employment because of racism? What about those who work hard but are expoited by those who want to keep them in their place? What about those who in your eyes keep getting fired, but not for laziness but for some other reason? What about those kids that work hard in substandard school but don't have the opportunity to go to college because of the cost? In summary what about those people that are none of the things that you mentioned but still cannot get a break?

724 posts, read 593,680 times
Quote:
What rights are being denied to one group of people that others enjoy?
I'll answer your infantile question with a question.

Do you think that racism and classism have been eradicated in this country?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
If you are falsely accused of something and sent to prison it sure would stop you from obtaining those goals

and The reason for the second one is that things like that didnt stop happening 20 years ago.
How many people is this happening to? We're to base social policy for many based on the few unfortunate incidents. It's not even rational.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
It's a conservative thing? I guess someone forgot to tell the NY Times?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/22/us...usands.html?hp

or Washington Post

Obama lays out liberal vision
He urges new commitment to equality, opportunity
Neither one of those pieces discussed equality in the way you meant it in the OP.

The NYT piece only mentions "marriage equality," and the WaPo piece only mentioned equality in the constitutional sense. Neither piece discussed equality relative to your thread premise...that is, those with more skills aren't the equal of those with less skills.

Again, you're on that "equality of opportunity, not outcome" kick when no liberal that I can find ever endorsed such an idea.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:

His ignorance is beyond belief It is like he was born and raised around some backwoods rednecks who never experienced anything of reality that pertains to the hardship of others.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
I'll answer your infantile question with a question.

Do you think that racism and classism have been eradicated in this country?
It's a stupid pipe dream of a goal since human beings will always rank themselves socially, and class is a main way to do it. You can't force people to associate with other people or is that a new goal of liberals too?

All we can do is ensure that our public institutions are free of such biases as much as possible.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Who says that I haven't? It just doesn't stop me from setting and obtaining goals.

Besides why would I base my world outlook based on the isolated experience in Boston 20 years ago?
Duh, because it still happens and you supposely being of direct African lineage will look alot like someone else from the same part of Africa and therefore have a greater chance of being mistaken for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies