Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Separation of church and state works both ways. Keep the church out of the state; keep the state out of the church. The government has no business dictation religious matters, and the definition of marriage is one of these things.
We have civil marriages. Atheists get married. I have a marriage license that grants myself and my spouse certain legal rights and obligations. I was also married by a Roman Catholic priest this means I have certain moral rights and obligations. In order to have the legal rights and obligations no religious ceremony is required. A visit to the justice of the peace only creates a religious obligation if that is your belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:43 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
So true....

2008 Democrats: "The patriot Act is pure evil, vote Obama he won't renew it!"

2011 Democrats: "Obama did the right thing renewing the Patriot Act"

2008 Democrats: "I am voting for Obama because the debt has grown too high it is over 9 Trillion"

2012 Democrats: "The 16 Trillion debt isn't that bad if you look at it standing upside down, squinting, after just having been pepper sprayed"
2008 Republicans "We need the security of the patriot act!"
2011 Republicans "We needed to renew this for our own safety"

pre Obama Republicans "Deficits don't matter"- Dick Cheney
2012 Republicans "OMG DEFIFICITS!"

Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
I think you're wrong, but we'll see. Democrats don't represent mainstream America. Mainstream America is conservative.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think you're wrong, but we'll see. Democrats don't represent mainstream America. Mainstream America is conservative.
That's so wrong. It's not conservative but quite moderate leaning to liberal.

I think you guys think that because you have deluded yourselves into thinking that you're the keepers of some American social order and the embodiment of true American values.

Most of the staunch conservatives are aging baby boomers who think they're preserving some American way of life but don't realize how reactionary they really are.

You're in the minority, you're just loud and a very well funded minority.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Maybe you should spend the time reading the GOP report on the last presidential election, and demographic changes.

Mainstream America is not "conservative" or "Liberal" Mainstream America has a much more blended view. Given the GOP report you'd know that increasingly the GOP MUST move more center in order to survive long term. And so far they haven't.

Good luck with that.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:25 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
The Republicans certainly ought to be a memory, but I think the OP et al. are being cheerfully, hopelessly optimistic. Remember what a travesty the Bush presidency was? Remember how they immediately made a pretty impressive comeback just by putting on tri-corner hats and pretending the Bush presidency didn't happen?

As for whether or not mainstream America is liberal or conservative, I'd say from the outside it seems to range from center-right to far right, with a few moderate left-wingers and more extreme right-wingers thrown in.

But I don't see the Republican party as being conservative, they're just mad. And they've been so since at least the Clinton administration. When they're not in power they're obstructionist fools who have nothing to offer, and when they are, well, who shall I pick as Exhibit A? Bush? Cheney? Bachmann? Palin? Perry? O'Connell? Santorum? The only Republicans I can think of who actually take their job of governing seriously seem to be the more sensible ones. Olympia Snowe, and to a lesser degree, Huntsman. But by and large, all that seems to come out of Republican mouths is red white and blue blart. They are not fit to govern. They are mad.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:42 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
This is not a liberal country under any circumstances, and Obama's sub 40% approval ratings which are continuing to sink serve as irrefutable proof of that; the fact that his popularity numbers among Hispanics are also even more proof, as if we needed any more proof of his skyrocketing disapproval numbers as his economy and as ObamaCare continue to knock millions of folks out of work or lose their health insurance.

He's substantially more radical than any of his predecessors, and particularly of his Democratic predecessors, has irrefutably proven that he cannot be trusted, refuses to compromise with the other side as was never the case with Clinton, LBJ or JFK, has a tendency to lie about everything from ObamaCare to Benghazi to his ongoing wars against seniors, big business, Caterpillar, Boeing, Gibson Guitars and now automobile dealers, with more to come.

The promise to bail out any health insurer who loses revenue as a result of the rates within the exchanges is yet another lie from President Bailout who promised everybody that there would be no more bailouts from his administration, which turned out to be another lie.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
He's substantially more radical than any of his predecessors, and particularly of his Democratic predecessors, has irrefutably proven that he cannot be trusted, refuses to compromise with the other side as was never the case with Clinton, LBJ or JFK, has a tendency to lie about everything from ObamaCare to Benghazi to his ongoing wars against seniors, big business, Caterpillar, Boeing, Gibson Guitars and now automobile dealers, with more to come.
You guys are SO weird! Obama is not this unique politician. In fact he's a Clinton retread. He's not this "radical" lefty like you guys think, jeez.

Seriously you guys have a complex with this guy 'cus the level of strange hate and characterization of him as a "commie" is getting to be pathologically insane.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 PM

275 posts, read 193,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's so wrong. It's not conservative but quite moderate leaning to liberal.

I think you guys think that because you have deluded yourselves into thinking that you're the keepers of some American social order and the embodiment of true American values.

Most of the staunch conservatives are aging baby boomers who think they're preserving some American way of life but don't realize how reactionary they really are.

You're in the minority, you're just loud and a very well funded minority.
Funny how people will even break the law to come to the u.s. too bad liberals are pulling out the rug from under them.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:05 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I predict that none of you can reliably predict the future and that liberals will remain as stupid as before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies