Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Who would have thought that a union supporter would use a race card? Unions are dying for a reason, they helped us at one point but now they do nothing but hold us back. People who need labor unions to survive can't do so on their own, uneducated and unskilled people always need help from others to survive.

More hatred of the working man. The idea that working people are a bunch of losers, who should be glad they have a job, is actually quite common in rightwing circles. And of course the "job creators" can do know wrong. This is why anytime a business succeeds it's because of the boss but when a business fails it's the worker's fault
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM

367 posts, read 766,003 times
Without reading the previous 101 posts I'll sum my feelings by saying the only people who don't understand unions are non union employees. I'd attempt to educate people of their wrong-headed ways, but I'll let them remain stubborn while I enjoy the fruits of my labor situation.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
What an absolutely stupid, moronic thing to say.

The right IS the working person - we all work (but we might do a better job of it).
Not moronic at all. Hatred is the best way to describe the utter contempt the right has for the working people

Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Not moronic at all. Hatred is the best way to describe the utter contempt the right has for the working people
I'm a conservative, I guess you would consider me to be on the right and I in no way hate any working people. I fully support working people and the right to work where they want without pressure to join a labor union and pay dues to some rich union boss who couldn't care less about his union minions.

I care about workers who are realistic about their value and work to better themselves instead of trying to strong arm their employer to pay them more than they're worth.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Why didn't the workers report the issues to OSHA?
What does that matter? The point is that unions are an on-site, direct voice for the workers, and the minerss at the Upper Big Branch mine could have used that voice & muscle to protect themselves from Massey's disregard.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
I'm a conservative, I guess you would consider me to be on the right and I in no way hate any working people. I fully support working people and the right to work where they want without pressure to join a labor union and pay dues to some rich union boss who couldn't care less about his union minions.

I care about workers who are realistic about their value and work to better themselves instead of trying to strong arm their employer to pay them more than they're worth.
So who decides their value? I would think the market does just like any job. Not one right winger has explained their hatred for workers who want to form an association to protect their benefits and their future.

The right's hatred of unions is absolutely unreasonable.

How do you feel about what Enron did to their workers? No union to protect them.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So who decides their value? I would think the market does just like any job. Not one right winger has explained their hatred for workers who want to form an association to protect their benefits and their future.

The right's hatred of unions is absolutely unreasonable.

How do you feel about what Enron did to their workers? No union to protect them.
An employee's value should be decided by the market that they work in, if they choose to drop out of high school and dig ditches for a living they should be upset to find out they aren't going to get $60 an hour and 5 weeks of vacation a year. On the same token, if a person busts their ass to improve their education and value that's something an employer should appreciate. I've never once had a problem getting an employer to recognize and compensate me for adding value to their business and I've never needed a labor union to force that to happen.

And Enron? Enron screwed millions of Americans, not just their employees so I hardly think that's a fair company to use as an example.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I like unions but not what they have become today... Maybe they are the way they are because of declining membership... However, their declining membership is due to movement from a industrial economy to a service economy due to globalization... They fought the wrong battle in trying to get government support to forcefully put people into membership rolls instead of fighting the battles of unfair trade practices... A fatal flaw....

Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
An employee's value should be decided by the market that they work in, if they choose to drop out of high school and dig ditches for a living they should be upset to find out they aren't going to get $60 an hour and 5 weeks of vacation a year. On the same token, if a person busts their ass to improve their education and value that's something an employer should appreciate. I've never once had a problem getting an employer to recognize and compensate me for adding value to their business and I've never needed a labor union to force that to happen.

And Enron? Enron screwed millions of Americans, not just their employees so I hardly think that's a fair company to use as an example.
Do you honestly think that union workers make $60 per hour digging trenches? The reality is they make more money but not that much more. They raise the wage bar of their industry and they help to improve not only the working conditions of their members but non members as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies