Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that progressives have taken us down a real path toward absolute stupidity. Maybe I should have said 54 years.

I have to add on a little bit for 2013.

7. Teaching Math In 2013
Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's property. He won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says it's OK anyway cuz it's redistributing the wealth.

Fifty Two Years of math 1959
Kids are so much smarter than the ones in 1959 it's not even funny.

Speak for your own kids, mine do just fine.

That and a lot of the math is completely obsolete. That's what computers are largely for these days, use your brain power for something else, like learning to write software for said computer.

The idea of some golly gee wiz type from 1959 being smarter than a kid today is laughable in my mind. No study or statistic, no matter how skewed, would change my mind from the obvious. It's you, no us. Perhaps you should spend more time with your kids?

You must be old to think something silly like that.

I almost bet the people from the civil war era thought they were more intelligent than the people of 1959, they would be wrong as well. Being able to shoe a horse does not make you smart. It makes you outdated. Get a clue, lol.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post

That and a lot of the math is completely obsolete. That's what computers are largely for these days, use your brain power for something else, like learning to write software for said computer.

The idea of some golly gee wiz type from 1959 being smarter than a kid today is laughable in my mind. No study or statistic, no matter how skewed, would change my mind from the obvious. It's you, no us. Perhaps you should spend more time with your kids?

I almost bet the people from the civil war era thought they were more intelligent than the people of 1959, they would be wrong as well. Being able to shoe a horse does not make you smart. It makes you outdated. Get a clue, lol.
The upside down reality in the progressive mind illustrated once again.

I'll concede one thing to them, though. They have perfected the art of polishing a turd.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times
Wow, nice bigoted comment on number 6 that the last step in dumbing down math involves translating the question into Spanish.

Sorry the world has moved on from the 1950's when brown people could get beat and run out of town for showing their faces.

I would love to see where these questions actually come from, but I am betting it is the rectal regions of the writer. I'll take a page from the OP's book of belief and believe that until he can prove it wrong.

Just a thought, were you and your wife teachers Roy? How can you shirk responsibility for this horror in your mind?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
I was in Junior High when the Soviet's launched Sputnik. Within weeks, people from (I think) the government came to our school to encourage us to take more math and science. Sputnik shook things up.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Many teachers today are not as well educated as a high school senior in 1959.

Last edited by Bideshi; 02-06-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
This thread is the internet equivalent of an elderly curmudgeon yelling at people to get off his lawn.

You just gotta love the added dash of anti-Hispanic racism, it wouldn't be conservative without at least some bigotry thrown into the mix.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Math in my public high school ended with multivariable calculus - and we weren't allowed to use calculators (I'm class of 2000)
I''m class of '67 , we didn't have calculators but we did have calculus.

Knowing the opposite of progressive is regressive explains a lot about this thread.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I would love to see where these questions actually come from, but I am betting it is the rectal regions of the writer. I'll take a page from the OP's book of belief and believe that until he can prove it wrong.
Of course it's BS.

There are plenty of problems with our education system, especially in math and science. The emphasis on cheating off your neighbors (err, group work) and using a calculator for everything has had harmful effects. Changing the content and grading of exams so that someone who doesn't know any physics or math can still get a 50% on a university physics exam is clearly not good.

Of course, rather than discuss the actual problems, roysoldboy instead chooses to dig up complete BS, because the point is just to bash "progressives" while putting in zero thought or effort.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Quote:

Kids now are outright idiots today compared to the 1950's.... the education system has been dumbed down considerably over the yrs.... and I am including your kids

You must be one of those progressive types who thinks everything from the old days (before 2000) must be dumb and tasteless..... no matter how many things prove otherwise

Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I was in Junior High when the Soviet's launched Sputnik. Within weeks, people from (I think) the government came to our school to encourage us to take more math and science. Sputnik shook things up.

What Sputnik showed is that yoiu could be a Communist and be a world class enginer or scientist. At the same time Spunik was launched the USSR had established the first scheduled jet airline service using Tu-114s. Khruschev flew to a state visit of the USA in 1959 on this same jetliner (Ike had a turboprop DC-6). The USSR had built the first nuclear power plant (1955) , expoded the first weaponizable thermonuclear bomb (1955) and tested another using a missile to deliver it to the test site. A staged thermonuclear bomb weighing 20 tons and the size of an 18 wheeler truck yilding about 60 Megatons ws airdropped in 1961. In the next few yeras they hit the Moon with a probe, Luna 2, photographed the far side (Luna 3) and sent the first probe into deep space (Luna 1 - Metcha), and Yuri Gagarin orbited the Earth and Titov orbited for a full day 17 orbits. The next Vostok cosmonaut spent 4 days in space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies