Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I''m class of '67 , we didn't have calculators but we did have calculus.

Knowing the opposite of progressive is regressive explains a lot about this thread.

Do you still have your trusty slip stick? I do!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My first job was way back when cash registers didn't tell you the change. More than half of cashiers today would be lost if they had to calculate the change with transactions and stores would be out lots of money.
How are you with an abacus and a sundial?
Do you use google maps or a sextant?
Morse code or the internet?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Kids are so much smarter than the ones in 1959 it's not even funny.

Speak for your own kids, mine do just fine.

That and a lot of the math is completely obsolete. That's what computers are largely for these days, use your brain power for something else, like learning to write software for said computer.

The idea of some golly gee wiz type from 1959 being smarter than a kid today is laughable in my mind. No study or statistic, no matter how skewed, would change my mind from the obvious. It's you, no us. Perhaps you should spend more time with your kids?

You must be old to think something silly like that.

I almost bet the people from the civil war era thought they were more intelligent than the people of 1959, they would be wrong as well. Being able to shoe a horse does not make you smart. It makes you outdated. Get a clue, lol.

There is more to math than just getting the right answer. You have to understand the meaning of the numbers and how to build the equation to be truly EDUCATED.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Kids are so much smarter than the ones in 1959 it's not even funny.

Speak for your own kids, mine do just fine.

That and a lot of the math is completely obsolete. That's what computers are largely for these days, use your brain power for something else, like learning to write software for said computer.

The idea of some golly gee wiz type from 1959 being smarter than a kid today is laughable in my mind. No study or statistic, no matter how skewed, would change my mind from the obvious. It's you, no us. Perhaps you should spend more time with your kids?

You must be old to think something silly like that.

I almost bet the people from the civil war era thought they were more intelligent than the people of 1959, they would be wrong as well. Being able to shoe a horse does not make you smart. It makes you outdated. Get a clue, lol.
Put your kids' calculators and computers on a shelf and then start with the competition with kids who didn't have calculators to depend on and I bet you find out that one group can calculate in their heads while the others have to sit blankly by and wish their calculators could be in their hands.

Yes, I am old (80) but I always nearly died laughing when all those guys in a bowling league asked me how I did the math for scoring without twirling the pencil and making marks with it. Of course, I learned to do that in the late 1930s and early 1940s. We did not have crutches to depend on and had to do our figuring in our heads or on paper. I found in 1959 when I was used as an algebra teacher for one freshman class that what was called New Math, back then, just didn't calculate in the minds of my kids and had to go back to the system I learned in the middle 40s. They caught it all right away with that kind of thing.

As the Happy Texan says most people at cash registers these days have no idea how to count change and are completely flustered when you give them the change before they get to use their calculating registers.

I may even be willing to take even you or your kids on without any "cheaters" to do the figuring for me. Old is not really stupid, but people like you are very sure it is.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Put your kids' calculators and computers on a shelf and then start with the competition with kids who didn't have calculators to depend on and I bet you find out that one group can calculate in their heads while the others have to sit blankly by and wish their calculators could be in their hands.

Yes, I am old (80) but I always nearly died laughing when all those guys in a bowling league asked me how I did the math for scoring without twirling the pencil and making marks with it. Of course, I learned to do that in the late 1930s and early 1940s. We did not have crutches to depend on and had to do our figuring in our heads or on paper. I found in 1959 when I was used as an algebra teacher for one freshman class that what was called New Math, back then, just didn't calculate in the minds of my kids and had to go back to the system I learned in the middle 40s. They caught it all right away with that kind of thing.

As the Happy Texan says most people at cash registers these days have no idea how to count change and are completely flustered when you give them the change before they get to use their calculating registers.

I may even be willing to take even you or your kids on without any "cheaters" to do the figuring for me. Old is not really stupid, but people like you are very sure it is.

The first program I had to write in my FORTRAN77 class in college in 1982 was how to calculate bowling scores.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Quote:

Exaday probably thinks that texting acronyms all day and rolling ones eyes equals Einstein....

Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Wow, nice bigoted comment on number 6 that the last step in dumbing down math involves translating the question into Spanish.

Sorry the world has moved on from the 1950's when brown people could get beat and run out of town for showing their faces.

I would love to see where these questions actually come from, but I am betting it is the rectal regions of the writer. I'll take a page from the OP's book of belief and believe that until he can prove it wrong.

Just a thought, were you and your wife teachers Roy? How can you shirk responsibility for this horror in your mind?
My wife taught in our local schools for a solid 39 years and I taught in various high schools for 28 years. Neither of us taught math, though.

I am pretty sure that neither of us thought things like this came from the regions you speak of since that is prog talk and we both knew all along that thinking is done in the brain. Now it is your turn to prove me wrong.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
I think that progressives have taken us down a real path toward absolute stupidity. Maybe I should have said 54 years.

I have to add on a little bit for 2013.

7. Teaching Math In 2013
Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's property. He won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says it's OK anyway cuz it's redistributing the wealth.

Fifty Two Years of math 1959
Conan O'Brien just tweeted, "My kids have that Asian flu where their throats hurt and their math scores are up".

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I was in Junior High when the Soviet's launched Sputnik. Within weeks, people from (I think) the government came to our school to encourage us to take more math and science. Sputnik shook things up.
Speaking of Sputnik, did you as a child notice that what held the US back in that race to space was nothing but pure bureaucracy? I am speaking of the fact that all the military services were given money and told to get us "up there". Since the amount of money that the Congress would give to an individual service depended on getting there first they kept all the knowledge they had secret. Finally, the bureaucrats decided to order the Air Force to put up our first satellite and we waited and waited while the Army had the rocket that put up the first satellite for about a year before the Congress decided that Sputnik had put the Soviet Union ahead of us and told the Army to go ahead.

In this case, science or the lack of it led to our being second when we could have been first. How long after this mistake became known was it before the Congress decided that we needed to pool our brains about rocketry and created NASA? It wasn't long, and after that we led in space all the time.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The first program I had to write in my FORTRAN77 class in college in 1982 was how to calculate bowling scores.
My 1st job out of the Army in 1969 was working on development of a FORTRAN IV simulator of GM Parts distribution throughout the US. It was a great language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies