Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, comparing to 30 years ago, there is a lot more cool stuff available now. Heck, the best PC in the market back then was an Apple II/e. Commodore 64 followed later in the 1980s, and then the availability of the "internet". Also, back then I could not have imagined earning as much as I earn now, and I am also debt free, so I can afford more than ever. I am in a pretty good place, so I don' get it when people try to convince me that my life is in ruins, and getting worse.
There is always new stuff, that is not the point. There are going to be new cars, new washers and driers, and even new health care plans, but all of these are restricted in what you are allowed to purchase because of ever more restrictive federal government laws and regulations.

There are even jobs you cannot choose to apply for, because government regulations have made it economically impractical for an entrepreneur to start the business that would have hired you for that job. The only choices in merchandise or employment available to you, are those that our micromanaging masterminds in government have given their approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,362 times
You can't be a federal contractor now without agreeing to turn over your personal computer to 24/7 government monitoring.

They monitor everyone's computer without the agreement, so what's the beef?

The "beef" is principle, I guess.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
It's like a couple of Chinese commies told me, which agreed with the teachings of Nietzsche: "As long as you do exactly as told, you are free to exactly what you are told to do."

My Chinese acquaintances told me you can't get any freer than that.

A commie friend from Slovakia told me that there was much more freedom in Slovakia under Soviet rule than there is in America right now - because you were never more than 15 minutes away from a bus stop anywhere in Slovakia.
I think whatever I want to think. I have more freedom here than I would in China. I've made criticism about the government. Guess what? I'm not in prison. I'm still here. I still have the right to own a gun. I can vote. I have freedom of speech within reasonable limits. I can't scream fire, or spread false propaganda about others because that would be slander and libel. Technically, I would just get sued.

And think about this. In 1940, I wouldn't have been able to vote in most places, I would have served in a segregated military, I would have all kinds of limitations. Back in the 1800s, I wouldn't have been allowed to own a gun. This is what Blacks went through.

Today, I have more rights than I would have had back then. That is my perspective on this whole thing.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think whatever I want to think. I have more freedom here than I would in China. I've made criticism about the government. Guess what? I'm not in prison. I'm still here. I still have the right to own a gun. I can vote. I have freedom of speech within reasonable limits. I can't scream fire, or spread false propaganda about others because that would be slander and libel. Technically, I would just get sued.

And think about this. In 1940, I wouldn't have been able to vote in most places, I would have served in a segregated military, I would have all kinds of limitations. Back in the 1800s, I wouldn't have been allowed to own a gun. This is what Blacks went through.

Today, I have more rights than I would have had back then. That is my perspective on this whole thing.
That's progressive for you.

My freedoms have been on a steep decline since 1968.

1965-1968 were the freest period in my life.

I hope there is no correlation here.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
There is always new stuff, that is not the point. There are going to be new cars, new washers and driers, and even new health care plans, but all of these are restricted in what you are allowed to purchase because of ever more restrictive federal government laws and regulations.

There are even jobs you cannot choose to apply for, because government regulations have made it economically impractical for an entrepreneur to start the business that would have hired you for that job. The only choices in merchandise or employment available to you, are those that our micromanaging masterminds in government have given their approval.
I think you are one of those people who only see the negative. Cheer up man We are given only one life as humans, so you might as well enjoy the ride.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
That's progressive for you.

My freedoms have been on a steep decline since 1968.

1965-1968 were the freest period in my life.

I hope there is no correlation here.
I wasn't even born back then. I wasn't born until 1986. Why would I want to live back in those days? And how have your freedoms "declined"?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I wasn't even born back then. I wasn't born until 1986. Why would I want to live back in those days? And how have your freedoms "declined"?
So, you came of age about 2004, right about the time of the Patriot Act.

Did the Patriot Act make you feel safer then?

How about now?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
So, you came of age about 2004, right about the time of the Patriot Act.

Did the Patriot Act make you feel safer then?

How about now?
Sounds no different that what was done to Dr. King. At one time, he was considered the most dangerous man in America. His phone was tapped.

What about WWII? Americans of Japanese descent were stripped of what little freedoms they had and were herded into internment camps.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 AM

733 posts, read 940,397 times
Quote:
It goes both ways. Some Native Americans owned slaves, and some even kept them after slavery ended.

Anyway, I have no relatives who participated as Buffalo Soldiers. And "Black Cavalry" existed for a reason. It was a segregated military.

In this nation, people have been oppressed and things have happened. Rights were taken away from people. No one is denying that. However, what do we do now?
A myriad of things we got a lot of work to do, I say behind a computer screen

And for the record I'm not in the business for placing blame on anyone solely for the actions of their ancestors, especially since they all had blood on their hands to some extent, history isn't one sided, before European supremacy there were white slaves in Muslim Africa, just like how Native Americans, Asians and Oceanic people weren't innocent either, why judge somebody for the actions of ancestors they had no control over?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,580 times
All of them have essentialy been lost, but they have to disarm the people before they can fully act on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies