Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times

Advertisements

The website linked in the OP is one of the many extremist, American Taliban sites purporting to support America while that's not what it's intent is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
in his words:

The threat of being labeled a terrorist for exercising our First Amendment rights certainly violates the First Amendment.

i don't agree, i think this is a misinterpretation. free speech protects your right to speech, it doesn't protect you from being judged or labeled.
You're right - but the problem here is that with our lovely Patriot Act, being labeled a terrorist is now grounds for having your other rights suspended. So, in effect, it does violate the first amendment. If the consequences for saying the wrong thing can include being jailed indefinitely without trial then how free are you really to say what you want?

Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You're right - but the problem here is that with our lovely Patriot Act, being labeled a terrorist is now grounds for having your other rights suspended. So, in effect, it does violate the first amendment. If the consequences for saying the wrong thing can include being jailed indefinitely without trial then how free are you really to say what you want?
then that's a violation of the 5th and 14th amendments, not the 1st.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,720 times
Thank God for the ACLU, who has actively fought against many of the restrictions on that list.
That reminds me, I need to send in my renewal!

BTW, that is a very comprehensive piece. I normally dismiss Alex Jones as a tinhatter but here he has redeemed himself. Now if he could only get alway from all the other conspiracy stuff..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
The fact that anyone with half a brain would look to Alex Jones for anything shows how mentally disturbed they are, truly. Only nutjobs take anything that nutjob has to say seriously. And that is a fact.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
then that's a violation of the 5th and 14th amendments, not the 1st.

Oh my ... the lack of fundamental logic is breathtaking. You have freedom of speech, since no one has duct taped your mouth shut ... but we can jail you or kill you if we don't like what you say.

Do you really think this way ... or are you just pulling people's legs here?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
The fact that anyone with half a brain would look to Alex Jones for anything shows how mentally disturbed they are, truly. Only nutjobs take anything that nutjob has to say seriously. And that is a fact.
Anyone with a half a brain realizes that the information is the key factor, not the "sources" reporting the information.

You can test this little theory by simply considering what you would think if Alex Jones reported that the Sun would rise in the east tomorrow morning. Would you immediately feel the need to prepare for the end of the world, since no one with "half a brain" should believe Alex Jones?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
As I mentioned......Jones=nutjob. Anyone who takes him seriously=nutjob.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Thank God for the ACLU, who has actively fought against many of the restrictions on that list.
That reminds me, I need to send in my renewal!

BTW, that is a very comprehensive piece. I normally dismiss Alex Jones as a tinhatter but here he has redeemed himself. Now if he could only get alway from all the other conspiracy stuff..
He sources all of that "other stuff" too. And though he sensationalizes, and comes across as way over the top in his delivery ... don't confuse style with accuracy. He's quite thorough in backing up claims with hard data.

Although, I personally think he's a disinfo type controlled opposition, to measure the relative awareness and successful effect of mainstream propaganda, and to poison the well so to speak, by taking valid information and then making it sound crazy by delivering it in his "crazy" style, but that doesn't make the info any less accurate .. it just convinces more people to dismiss the information than those who accept it. This is classic "disinfo" technique .... present accurate information in a manner that discredits the info being presented. Classic disinfo.

Example .... he did exactly that on the Piers Morgan show, and Morgan was only too happy to sit calmly and allow Alex Jones to rant and rave and make every 2nd Amendment supporter look like a raging lunatic ... which is Alex Jones purpose in life .. the reason he's allowed to continue, and why the mainstream media allows him on these shows. There are many others who could deliver the information in a far more effective manner and tone ... but they'll never get near the mainstream airwaves. That, you can take to the bank.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
As I mentioned......Jones=nutjob. Anyone who takes him seriously=nutjob.
And as I said, anyone with a half a brain looks at the information ... and doesn't dismiss any information because of who reported it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies