Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
You are too young then. I am old enough to have seen so many rights and freedoms gone right out the window, especially over the last 50 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You nailed it! A lot of the goofy liberals are young, have no life experience, and were educated by liberal teachers instead of common sense. They have no clue what has been lost, a little at a time. You don't notice it when it's gradual and you have no real reference point.

They consider themselves 'progressive'. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Like what? I notice that you guys left it conveniently vague. Give me some specifics examples of the things you did when you were young that you or others are forbidden to do now. What exactly is it that you are itching to do in your daily life that you can't? Drive on the left side of the road? I don't get it. Hell, there were huge segments of American society that fifty years ago had nearly NO rights at all.

People always talk about all of these wide-ranging freedoms that have supposedly been taken from them, yet when you ask them for specifics, it's like hunting for bigfoot: everyone talks about it, but no one can actually point to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Like what? I notice that you guys left it conveniently vague. Give me some specifics examples of the things you did when you were young that you or others are forbidden to do now.
I could name many things but they really don't fall under rights. In elementary school, I could have brought a butter knife to school without getting kicked out. In Junior High we made throwing stars in metal shop class. Again, booted today for doing that. In High School we could have wrote a report about going to a gun show without the risk of getting a zero.

But then again I noted early on in this thread that we have been able to retain our rights only because someone was willing to fight for them in court, not because no one hasn't tried to strip them from us.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
The fact that anyone with half a brain would look to Alex Jones for anything shows how mentally disturbed they are, truly. Only nutjobs take anything that nutjob has to say seriously. And that is a fact.
As a matter of principle as a conservative I tend to try to leap to the defense of various conservative media sources when they are maligned. I defend Fox News especially. I'll also try to combat some of the more outrageous claims made about Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, and Glenn Beck. And there are people who make it really easy like Charles Krauthamer and Thomas Sowell because they are just self evidently smart and sincere people so defending them is a piece of cake. But when it comes to Alex Jones I have a real tough time with not thinking he's a nutjob myself. He puts out so much material that I imagine some of it must be valid and insightful, but any good stuff certainly is buried in an avalanche of wackiness.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
He sources all of that "other stuff" too. And though he sensationalizes, and comes across as way over the top in his delivery ... don't confuse style with accuracy. He's quite thorough in backing up claims with hard data.

Although, I personally think he's a disinfo type controlled opposition, to measure the relative awareness and successful effect of mainstream propaganda, and to poison the well so to speak, by taking valid information and then making it sound crazy by delivering it in his "crazy" style, but that doesn't make the info any less accurate .. it just convinces more people to dismiss the information than those who accept it. This is classic "disinfo" technique .... present accurate information in a manner that discredits the info being presented. Classic disinfo.

Example .... he did exactly that on the Piers Morgan show, and Morgan was only too happy to sit calmly and allow Alex Jones to rant and rave and make every 2nd Amendment supporter look like a raging lunatic ... which is Alex Jones purpose in life .. the reason he's allowed to continue, and why the mainstream media allows him on these shows. There are many others who could deliver the information in a far more effective manner and tone ... but they'll never get near the mainstream airwaves. That, you can take to the bank.
I don't know about that. What you assert is possible but I don't know how probable it is. After all, isn't that argument exactly what the people say the government is doing to hide the existence of UFOs? Try to make them seem silly so people don't realize they're actually real?

However, the Piers Morgan thing was puzzling. I saw his appearance and really was sincerely confused. On one hand he clearly lost his cool, but on the other hand the entire thing did look rehearsed. It did strike me at the time like someone acting the part of a blowhard rather than someone who was really a blowhard. It was just too over-the-top and too immediate - he launched into his frothing at the mouth diatribe without any provocation. I found it difficult to believe that the whole thing wasn't intentional in some way. No professional broadcaster with years of experience starts ranting and raving like a lunatic in response to a simple rational and soft spoken question. I find it less than believable that someone who really had that little self control could have a successful career in broadcasting. It had to have been an act.

So the Piers Morgan interview, if you can even call it that, does lend support to your claim.

It's also possible that Piers or someone else had been goading him off camera. What we saw might not have been the whole story. I've seen instances before where someone did something strange and then explained later that something had occurred during a commercial break that the audience didn't see that prompted the behavior.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:27 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
You are too young then. I am old enough to have seen so many rights and freedoms gone right out the window, especially over the last 50 years.
Yet you name precisely zero of the alleged "so many".

Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Working class Americans lost property rights decades ago and nary a peep from conservatives.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Please list a few rights and freedoms that have been taken away from you, personally, over the past 50 years. Thanks...

Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Well, I am 57 years old, and I can't think much in the way of 'rights' that have been denied me over the decades.

Most of the more irritating government rules have invariably been at the local level (zoning laws, school board actions, etc).

As for the Bill of Rights: I still enjoy freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of press, I own 'arms', I may peaceably assemble, and soldier's still have not been quartered in my house.

Indeed, as a youth of 16 I was very worried about being 'drafted' to go to Vietnam. While I had no qualms about fighting 'for my country', I was not persuaded that it was right that I was subject to being drafted and sent to fight North Vietnam. However, in 1973, when I turned 18, the draft ended.

I was able to obtain all of the education I wanted and could afford (no student loans needed back in those days, since the state universities were very inexpensive for residents).

I have full access to the courts to resolve disputes. If arrested, I would still have the right to bail (excepting certain circumstances) and to have an attorney represent me (or not). The right to trial by jury is still in full force.

I do not have my own business, but I certainly deal with many people who do own their own businesses, and I see many new start-ups, so I guess that right is still with us.

I still have the right to vote. I even may enjoy alcoholic beverages if I choose.

I agree with some of the other posters: it would be refreshing to see what 'rights' particular posters have found themselves deprived of.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
WE'VE LOST ALL OUR RIGHTS! WE'VE LOST ALL OUR RIGHTS!!!!!

derrr....ummm can't even name one...

Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
WE'VE LOST ALL OUR RIGHTS! WE'VE LOST ALL OUR RIGHTS!!!!!

derrr....ummm can't even name one...

Well, to be honest, we have lost the 'right' to be conscripted into fighting unnecessary wars of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies