Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
In my home island, Puerto Rico, homophobia is rampant, but the United States does not fall behind that much.

The arguments from people who do not want gay marriage to happen are basically related to religion. Here, I believe, state and religion are separate entities, and the constitution's current definition of marriage as a reason to oppose gay marriage is overwhelmingly vague, since it can be amended, it is not static.

Now there is something that worries me about people's "violent" opposition to gay marriage. Some people react as of this was a murder of an innocent person. Some people dare to compare homosexuality to some paraphilias, like pedophilia and zoophilia. I have even read people that say gays should die! Just what the heck is going on with some people? What is all this fear about? If you are not gay, then you are not gay. It's just as simple as that. While seeing two men or two women kissing could result weird today because it is not the norm to see it everyday (well at least in many parts of the world, maybe SF and Europe are exceptions), why would that bother you?

I am not gay and I support full rights for the LBGT community. I am sure of what I am. Are you?

I am personally not in favor of homosexual marriage, but when I listened to the opponents of homosexual marriage make their case in court, I realized they had no legal reasoning for their stance.

I realized that as personally distasteful the idea of homosexual marriage is to me, there was no legal reason to stop it.

So based on principals of civil liberties for all, I now support homosexual marriage based on it being a violation of the law to deny those rights to homosexuals.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:06 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
When the majority of voters say…
The majority of voters approved keeping marriage intact in 31 states yet in that circumstance the majority, according to the homosexual militants, is to be nullified and overruled. Clearly an indication that homosexualized “marriage” is not desired or wanted there.

Homosexualized “marriage” will never be as commonplace or have the widespread acceptance and societal blessing until or if society in toto [that means everybody, everywhere, worldwide] wants it and there are no indications that will ever happen.

The homosexual cannot force, legislate, name call or bully everyone, everywhere into unconditional compliance with the notion of homosexualized “marriage”.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post

Homosexualized “marriage” will never be as commonplace or have the widespread acceptance and societal blessing until or if society in toto [that means everybody, everywhere, worldwide] wants it and there are no indications that will ever happen.
You cannot say that - anymore than I can say I know for sure it will.

So, unless you have a crystal ball or some other way to look into the future, please refrain from making predictions that you cannot prove.

Besides, who would have guessed ten years ago that NINE STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA would have marriage equality?

I'm guessing that you are underestimating the open mindedness of the upcoming generations; far more younger people have no problems with the idea of marriage equality than ever before and THEY are the future and THEY will be the deciding voters when it comes to marriage equality.

Quote:
The homosexual cannot force, legislate, name call or bully everyone, everywhere into unconditional compliance with the notion of homosexualized “marriage”.
You will have to comply with the LAW......whether you like it or not.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
You will have to comply with the LAW...
How exactly do you propose forcing the everyday non-business person to acknowledge or accept that two men or two women are “married”? You know, the significantly large numbers of people in society who do not want marriage changed and voted to keep marriage intact in 31 states? By waving a piece of paper in people’s faces? Calling names and other assorted bullying tactics? In non-business situations on the personal level it must be frustrating as all heck knowing that there isn’t a damn thing you can do about it.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
How exactly do you propose forcing the everyday non-business person to acknowledge or accept that two men or two women are “married”? You know, the significantly large numbers of people in society who do not want marriage changed and voted to keep marriage intact in 31 states? By waving a piece of paper in people’s faces? Calling names and other assorted bullying tactics? In non-business situations on the personal level it must be frustrating as all heck knowing that there isn’t a damn thing you can do about it.

So, in other words, what you are saying is that allowing two men to marry, or two women, won't affect you at all.

Gotcha'!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I am personally not in favor of homosexual marriage, but when I listened to the opponents of homosexual marriage make their case in court, I realized they had no legal reasoning for their stance.

I realized that as personally distasteful the idea of homosexual marriage is to me, there was no legal reason to stop it.

So based on principals of civil liberties for all, I now support homosexual marriage based on it being a violation of the law to deny those rights to homosexuals.
Nice to hear somebody using their BRAIN to analyze this issue... whether you personally like it or not, that is irrelevant to the LEGAL and LOGICAL reasoning behind legalizing (or not legalizing) gay marriage. There are plenty of things I dislike, i.e. guns and alcohol, but still understand they should be legal for adults. Good job.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Who says you HAVE to acknowledge anything? The law is all that matters, and whether you decide to call them married or not is irrelevant... they will still be married, regardless of your (or anyone else's) feelings about it. But if you're in a situation where legal marriages DO matter, like issuing job benefits for example, then the law obviously will trump your "icky feelings" or refusal to admit they're legally married. Too bad, so sad.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 AM

316 posts, read 214,713 times
THis thread is so long I havent been able to read all the posts. My opinion is if you choose to be different, you must accept consequences. Not everyone will agree. I don't think many people have a problem with gays in general. It is because 1%-3% of the population is trying to redefine marriage. How would you like if 2% of the country were Muslims and they tried to redefine marriage and they called everyone bigoted for disagreeing? What about multiple spouses? Do we have a right to deny someone that? I am sure a majority would disagree with multiple spouses. Marriage needs defining. When something isn't defined, it leaves all sorts of marriages open for debate.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
THis thread is so long I havent been able to read all the posts. My opinion is if you choose to be different, you must accept consequences. Not everyone will agree. I don't think many people have a problem with gays in general. It is because 1%-3% of the population is trying to redefine marriage. How would you like if 2% of the country were Muslims and they tried to redefine marriage and they called everyone bigoted for disagreeing? What about multiple spouses? Do we have a right to deny someone that? I am sure a majority would disagree with multiple spouses. Marriage needs defining. When something isn't defined, it leaves all sorts of marriages open for debate.
All we gays and lesbians want is the right to marry the one we love, that is within the bounds of current marriage contracts on the federal secular level. All it does is make marriage equal and available to us, it does not redefine marriage one bit, it makes no changes to the marriage rights or benefits other than allowing us the same, that is why it is called marriage equality. Churches will not be forced to marry us, but if they do choose to, they are left the option, for you do know that no church or religion holds specific power over all the rest, nor over the government that is in charge of all of our rights. Being gay is not a choice, believe me, if sexual orientation was a choice, many of us would choose to be straight just to avoid the persecution and denegration heaped on us by society, but I could never choose to be straight any more than you could wake up one day and choose to be gay. Denying us equal marriage based on an icky feeling or ones religious standing is wrong and can lead to other minorities being denied equal marriage or equal access to fair treatment based on any number of traits or qualities that others find distasteful or wrong. It was once very common for the idea of interracial marriage to be an abomination and that it was harmful to the resulting children and was in the best interest of society to prevent those unions at all cost. The slippery slope was used to deny interracial marriage, that if god had intended the races to blend, that there would not be races. God did not make the races, geographical regions and biology did, there is a reason for dark and light skin.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
They DO NOT CHOOSE to be gay anymore than one chooses to have green eyes or be left handed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies