Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by steven_h
BTW, something also exists in nature for only one species. It's called self-awareness (the knowledge of right and wrong) and the only species with such ability is man.

And you call pullmyfinger ignorant?

Imago Dei for one.
Reasons To Believe : How Humans Differ from Animals

Speech, walking upright, the ability to reason, clothing ourselves, inventiveness (fire, the wheel, electricity), we lie, we blush, we are emotional, a finite reproductive window...etc.

How much evidence do you require?

Humans are at the top of the food chain, because we were created that way. We are quite special compared to any other species, and to lower one's self to that of an animal (to justify behavior) is regressive.
None of that is evidence that humans are the only animals with self-awareness, which is what you originally said. & what people consider special, right, wrong, or regressive is really subjective anyway.

We are not the only animals who "speak." All sorts of animals communicate using their own forms of languages. We also are not the only animals who think or build.

You might view how we communicate, how we build is superior... but again, that is a subjective belief & I'm not really sure how this pertains to the OP anymore to be honest.

Last edited by thethreefoldme; 03-23-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 12:59 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,835 times
This thread turned into a joke. It had a good amount of reasoning at first but now it's turned into religious nonsense.

What does religion have to do with our government? It shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
None of that is evidence that humans are the only animals with self-awareness, which is what you originally said. & what people consider special, right, wrong, or regressive is really subjective anyway.
The enemy of ignorance is logic, and logic dictates that we humans are far more special than any other animal.

Nothing subjective about it.

People have the right to harness aspirations of being just another animal. The reality is this is used to justify their animal behavior. If we are no better than animals, then why should we be bound to emotions invented by humans.

On the other hand: People also have the right to believe those ideas are nothing more than contrived notions.

I'm in the later crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
This thread turned into a joke. It had a good amount of reasoning at first but now it's turned into religious nonsense.

What does religion have to do with our government? It shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Religion was far from the primary arguements. There are many aspects of why people believe what they believe. The OP's framing of the question as "scared of" was just rhetoric. He cared more about making a statement than debating the reasons.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
Quote:
...it's the defacto offensive strategy for every progressive. When someone disagrees with them, on anything, they're labeled "phobes."

The basic truth is that they hate religion and are themselves afraid of it...
Aside from the fact that this is of course nothing but baseless nonsense, the irony and hypocrisy of this post is beyond measure.

Do you even think about what you are going to say before you post?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:38 PM

150 posts, read 183,174 times
Quote:

That was sarcasm, right? I can't be sure with some of the posters in this place.

Imago Dei is the belief that we are created in Gods image, so there really is no secular way to explain it.

I also used a litany of obvious, non-religious facts: Speech, walking upright, the ability to reason, clothing ourselves, inventiveness (fire, the wheel, electricity), we lie, we blush, we are emotional, a finite reproductive window...etc. which differentiate us from the rest of the animal world.

There is no argument against the obvious, hence the dead silence. That should get someone pi$$ed off enough to start up again, with the rhetoric. The enemy of ignorance is logic, and logic dictates that we humans are far more special than any other animal.

The next step in the reversion process will be that we are alien hybrids. This would explain why only humans evolved to speak, think, and build. After all, aliens are much more believable than a God.
So you still used a religious site. This post is really crazy, other animals can communicate, think and build. Besides, what does have to do with gay marriage?

Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
Quote:
Because it's the defacto offensive strategy for every progressive. When someone disagrees with them, on anything, they're labeled "phobes." Yet, they can promote immorality, trash religion, ridicule family values and traditional marriage, despise the right to life, and they are praised as being enlightened somehow. If you do not agree 100%, or have differing opinions, then you are a phobe and afraid of their self-righteous belief system. They have become rife with hypocrisy, repeating everything they've been taught to believe, even if it's nonsense. They are the product of a corrupt immoral system.

The basic truth is that they hate religion and are themselves afraid of it. Imagine the implications; if God is real, and extramarital affairs are a sin... etc.

Gays just want to have equal rights!
If a civil union includes all the benefits of a marriage, then why is the term marriage so important? Because it removes the religious sanctity of the act of marriage. The vast majority of LBGT are atheists, and traditional religion doesn't align with their all-important lifestyles. Removing the fundamental aspect (God) from marriage is the actual goal.
I'm for same-sex marriage, but, what is your source for this info? Most of the gays and lesbians that I know believe in God (Christians & Jews).

Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Maybe you should talk to Fiyero, becuase he doesn't think you exist.

BTW, something also exists in nature for only one species. It's called self-awareness (the knowledge of right and wrong) and the only species with such ability is man.

Gays prefer to deny that man is special to justify their ignorance. But hey, if they feel they're not above that of a box crab, it would explain a lot.
The bible is no place to get knowledge about, well anything...

Self aware animals List Nation: 9 Animals that are Self-Aware

Old 03-23-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okipower120190 View Post
So you still used a religious site. This post is really crazy, other animals can communicate, think and build. Besides, what does have to do with gay marriage?

So that wasn't sarcasm! Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I'm for same-sex marriage, but, what is your source for this info? Most of the gays and lesbians that I know believe in God (Christians & Jews).
Funny, I've had many gay clients and acquaintances, and nearly all of them were either atheists or new agers. Of the dozens, I've known, I think only one considered himself a Christian. Besides, the point I was trying to make is why people are against gay marriage, and not afraid of them. There's a big difference between fear and despising something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The bible is no place to get knowledge about, well anything...
Funny, I only referenced one link to explain one aspect. Are you an athiest by any chance? My cats invariable notice themselves in mirrors quite often. This is not defacto proof of self awareness. Let me know when one of these animals becomes embarrased when they see themselves licking their butts in a mirror, then I'll believe.

The progressive humanists in this place are so predictable. Of everything I said, you ALL still zeroed in on the one biblical reference, like sharks to chum. Yes, and you are the tolerant ones.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:02 PM

150 posts, read 183,174 times
Quote:
So that wasn't sarcasm! Wow!

Hey, your site was religious. It was called reasons to believe and mentions god and the bible and Christianity. Which means its not reliable source on your claim. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Also explain this.
Quote:
Imago Dei is the belief that we are created in Gods image, so there really is no secular way to explain it.
Quote:
Funny, I only referenced one link to explain one aspect. Are you an athiest by any chance? My cats invariable notice themselves in mirrors quite often. This is not defacto proof of self awareness.
Of course it is sweetheart

Quote:
The progressive humanists in this place are so predictable. Of everything I said, you ALL still zeroed in on the one biblical reference, like sharks to chum. Yes, and you are the tolerant ones.
Only because you used it as a source, the bible is not factual evidence.

Last edited by Okipower120190; 03-23-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okipower120190 View Post
Hey, your site was religious. It was called reasons to believe and mentions god and the bible and Christianity. Which means its not reliable source on your claim. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Also explain this.
I only pointed to that page because it explained Imago Dei... do you actually comprehend what you read?

You're acting like it burned your eyes to see such a link. I'm sure you have an internal mechanism that keeps you from reading such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies