Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That's not the question. The question is: Would Jesus deny the "sinners" their equal rights under the law?

And speaking of Jesus, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender folks are treated pretty well in the Holy Land today. Israel has laws protecting the LGBT community and expects its gay citizens to serve in the military as everyone else is required to. The question of marriage is moot because the country does not sanction civil marriage for gays or straights. Gay marriages from other countries are recognized and respected, though, just as straight marriages are. It's also interesting to note that the government of Israel is currently spending a ton money marketing Tel Aviv as one of the most gay-friendly cities in the world. The effort is working — gay tourism is booming on Israel's beaches and the country is enjoying an influx of cash. (Some would say they are using it to deny human rights to Palestinians, but clearly that's a discussion for another thread. )
That is all true, not to mention the majority of American Jews support same-sex marriage. Heck, my old synagogue even had a lesbian Rabbi! So when people use the religion excuse, I always have to ask "according to which god?" Certainly not mine.

I've also never understood that old saying "hate the sin, love the sinner," and have come to learn it's just another attempt to excuse their hate. They don't just hate the sin, they project that onto the "sinner" as well. There are many sins/behaviors I don't like either, but unless they're ones that directly harm other people (i.e. murder, theft), I would never support passing laws based on them.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
^^This^^

GIZMO980----------does this post pass your judgement as worthy in a ---Great Debate Forum-- ?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That is all true, not to mention the majority of American Jews support same-sex marriage. Heck, my old synagogue even had a lesbian Rabbi! So when people use the religion excuse, I always have to ask "according to which god?" Certainly not mine.

I've also never understood that old saying "hate the sin, love the sinner," and have come to learn it's just another attempt to excuse their hate. They don't just hate the sin, they project that onto the "sinner" as well. There are many sins/behaviors I don't like either, but unless they're ones that directly harm other people (i.e. murder, theft), I would never support passing laws based on them.

????????????????

Jews are the ones who crucified Christ and are not Christians.

What in the world does the Jewish faith have to do with-----" what would Jesus do "--?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 AM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
are you sure you didn't mean " bad" instead of " bated" ?

GIZMO980----------does this post pass your judgement as worthy in a---Great Debate Forum-- ?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Quote:
????????????????

What in the world does the Jewish faith have to do with-----" what would Jesus do "--?

I thought that the Romans crucified Jesus.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
I thought that the Romans crucified Jesus.

while the Jews screamed----------" crucify him,crucifyhim "

Pilate asked the JEWS if they wanted Jesus released and that was their reply .

Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM

265 posts, read 597,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

But when the first cases involving the legal status of same-sex unions arose (in Massachusetts, IIRC) nearly thirty years later, I could not help but notice that while both Local and national news media gave it very little attention, National Public Broadacsting immediately gve the story top billing, and continued to follow it with much greater interest than its competitors. That tells me that the effort to push the issue of same-sex unions to the front burner was both painstakingly planned and well-coordinated.
Or... for-profit broadcasters has to answer to advertisers

In the early days, television had a hard time with showing Lucy pregnant, showing Rob and Laura Petrie in the same bed in the Dick Van Dyke show... or Mary Tyler Moore as a single, successful, happy, SINGLE woman... or an inter-racial couple in the Jeffersons in the 70s.

To think that a bunch of people sat in a room and planned the roll out of homosexuality and gay marriage is absurd.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
????????????????

Why don't you ask the other poster - you know, the one who brought Judaism into the discussion in the first place? THEY (not me) brought it in as a general commentary on religion, and the last time I checked Judaism was a religion. Actually, it's the very religion on which Christianity is based.

Care to comment on the rest of my post, which was about using religion (be it Christianity or whatever) as an excuse to hate?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Where is the connection between this topic and "Christians"? - people are always picking on the Christians and saying they are the only ones who don't like the idea of same sex marriage...I would assume that this is not even a religious question of "right or wrong". If there was no religion...and no God what so ever...and the world was run on natural law and not the laws of man- Most people NATURALLY ...would have issue with same sex sex period. I wonder how a tribe of ancients would react if they witnessed OG and MAWG - two male cave men going off hand in had to set up house keeping? I doubt very much if the rest of the tribe would find it a normal thing. We in the modern world have been raised and conditioned in a very artificial social environment..we are conditioned to except everything as normal.

The whole idea of right and wrong or good and evil is slowly being removed from society...Even the UN had a discussion that teaching concepts of right and wrong to children should be avoided. So...what does this get down too? Am I to say that if I had a choice to state if gay marriages was "evil" - would I be persecuted for my perception of what appears evil - Or would I be persecuted for even suggesting that evil exist?
Ever see a show called The 700 Club? As Jimmy Carter once said, people use religion to rationalize and justify their indifference toward homosexual people because if you're a heterosexual, then homosexuality is the easiest so called "sin" of all not to commit. But, how stupid can one be in this day and age to believe sexual orientation is an issue of "right" or "wrong?" Or perhaps a choice? People are either attracted to the opposite sex, or their attracted to the same sex. Coincidentally, heterosexual sex is often a mismatch with men wanting it far more than women, which is why we have things like prostitution, and rape.

As far as ancient history on the matter, such extreme homophobia hasn't really existed until around WWII. Native Americans, along with many other cultures believed in "live and let live" policy, and accepted the differences of those people. Most of the phobia today, persists through irrational lies spread by many of those who hate, and are constantly uptight about sex in the first place. The time has come to join the 21st century.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why don't you ask the other poster - you know, the one who brought Judaism into the discussion in the first place? THEY (not me) brought it in as a general commentary on religion, and the last time I checked Judaism was a religion. Actually, it's the very religion on which Christianity is based.

Care to comment on the rest of my post, which was about using religion (be it Christianity or whatever) as an excuse to hate?
P.S. Basically everyone was a Jew at the time of crucifixion, including Jesus himself. So when you ask WWJD, you are also asking what would the Jews do - in a sense. Basic stuff, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies