Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Denying us equal marriage...
What are the equal rights under the law that you are denied under "civil unions" that traditional "marriage" gives gays?

I would really like to know if there are rights they are denied if they have a civil union as opposed to being "married".

Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
They DO NOT CHOOSE to be gay anymore than one chooses to have green eyes or be left handed.
Really?

And do you have medical/scientific proof that one does not choose to be gay? Is homosexuality genetically linked? Is it inherited, like eye color?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM

295 posts, read 359,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
THis thread is so long I havent been able to read all the posts. My opinion is if you choose to be different, you must accept consequences. Not everyone will agree. I don't think many people have a problem with gays in general. It is because 1%-3% of the population is trying to redefine marriage. How would you like if 2% of the country were Muslims and they tried to redefine marriage and they called everyone bigoted for disagreeing? What about multiple spouses? Do we have a right to deny someone that? I am sure a majority would disagree with multiple spouses. Marriage needs defining. When something isn't defined, it leaves all sorts of marriages open for debate.
If there was a law that said that Muslims couldn't marry one another, I would support them as well.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Really?

And do you have medical/scientific proof that one does not choose to be gay? Is homosexuality genetically linked? Is it inherited, like eye color?
Where is your scientific proof that it is a choice?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Where is your scientific proof that it is a choice?
I didn't make any claims. You did and I was inquiring into your proof. Don't have any?

That's OK. Neither does anyone else have any definitive proof.

from a link posted previously: There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM

596 posts, read 983,349 times
People who believe that homosexuality is a choice are actually bisexual. They are physically attracted to both males and females, and at some point they decided which gender they would and would not have sex with. Many of these people who CHOOSE to be heterosexual often go on to bash homosexuals in order to justify/validate their decision, because they have lingering doubts. This is one reason why conventional wisdom says that homophobes are actually closet homosexuals.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
I didn't make any claims. You did and I was inquiring into your proof. Don't have any?

That's OK. Neither does anyone else have any definitive proof.

from a link posted previously: There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors.
From http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/orientation.aspx

"Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about sexual orientation."

Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
THis thread is so long I havent been able to read all the posts. My opinion is if you choose to be different, you must accept consequences.
You're kidding, right? That's funny....I don't remember choosing to be straight. Do you? How old were you when you decided to be hetero?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Really?

One only need be a human to know sexual orientation/attraction is not a choice... unless you can tell us when you CHOSE to be straight, or CHOSE to be attracted to certain people. I can't do that, can you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies