Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: If you support the redifinition of marriage, do you support consentual insest?
Yes, I support consentual insest. 48 36.64%
No, I do not support consentual insest. 83 63.36%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
If opposite-sex marriage is ok, what logically consistent reason is there to ban marriages between:
same-sex couples
close relatives
multiple individuals
etc?
Traditional marriage is based on nature's design.

All other arrangements, to include homosexual, polygamous and incestuous ones, ignore nature's obvious design for families.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Traditional marriage is based on nature's design.

All other arrangements, to include homosexual, polygamous and incestuous ones, ignore nature's obvious design for families.
Oh really?

And what is nature's design?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
If it's illegal for them to have sex I doubt it's legal for them to marry. I'm going to make that guess without bothering to look it up.

Not certain family members. Maybe your 5th cousin is fine, but in most states your 1st isn't.
it is legal to marry your second cousin in every state, first in atleast 15.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM

51 posts, read 32,613 times
Hey where is the OP? I still need an answer. Big Christian Gov or small Gov?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
The word "support" is a bit vague. I would not want to encourage it, or go out and campaign for it, or donate money for it, but so long as two people are of legal age to get married, and they agree to take all reasonable precautions to avoid pregnancy, I see no reason why the law should prevent it. I think this is one of those areas where the true meaning of individual liberty is put to the test. It's easy for a society to claim that it supports individual liberty in easy situations were the majority agree that it's okay (e.g., you are free to eat meat, if you want), but the real test of a society's resolve comes in the tough situations in which the majority find the activity to be extremely immoral or distasteful. The burden of proof should be on the supporters of a legal restriction to show that some tangible harm is being done to actual people. You should have to clearly identify who the actual victims are, and exactly what sort of harm is being done. Perhaps this can be done in the case of incest, but at the moment I am skeptical about that.
I think it can only be said that the situation is likely to be harmful to the younger person. But the same thing can be said in many different situations where we accept that it is none of our business to interfere. I mean, those women who are drawn to marry convicted murders in prison? Someone who knowingly gets involved with an alcoholic or drug addict? Marrying when you're both teenagers? There are plenty of situations that are likely to result in bad outcomes but it's not our place to forbid them. If a mother wants to marry her daughter or a father his son after the chld is a legal adult and both consent to it? I would never encourage that course of action, but I just don't see a way to ethically outlaw it.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 PM

26,514 posts, read 15,092,794 times
There are genetic repercussions with the offspring...that is my biggest concern.

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
If opposite-sex marriage is ok, what logically consistent reason is there to ban marriages between:
same-sex couples
close relatives
multiple individuals
etc?
Because committed opposite sex marriages between people of different genetic codes have been demonstrated to be the likeliest environment from which to produce children who grow up to be healthy, happy, productive citizens.

I don't agree with that from a philosophical standpoint. But it is a logically consistent reason to promote traditional marriage while banning other forms of marriage. Encouraging what has been statistically shown to be the optimum environment for producing new generations and discouraging non-optimum environments is a logical thing for society to do. Not ethical, but logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
There are genetic repercussions with the offspring...that is my biggest concern.
How likely is that? Is your concern warranted?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Because committed opposite sex marriages between people of different genetic codes have been demonstrated to be the likeliest environment from which to produce children who grow up to be healthy, happy, productive citizens.
Citation requested

Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,437 times
anything away from the intended is ridiculous.

Last edited by stargazzer; 02-24-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies