Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: If you support the redifinition of marriage, do you support consentual insest?
Yes, I support consentual insest. 48 36.64%
No, I do not support consentual insest. 83 63.36%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Again, my point is, if gender is immaterial in defining marriage, numbers and prior relationships should be immaterial too.
Why?

Neither of those factors is related.

Shouldn't the determination of what factors are material and what aren't be dependent on the factors themselves?

If two men marry one another, is there an increased burden on society?

If siblings marry, is there an increased burden on society?

If people have multiple marriage partners, simultaneously, then is there an increased burden on society?

I think the answer to number 1 is no.

I think the answer to number 2 is that it depends. The fact that biological diversity is necessary for the health of the human race means that society has an interest in regulation such relationships, but the fact that we are in no danger at this time of suffering a catastrophic loss of biological diversity suggests that the interest that society has in such regulation is minimal. The societal taboo on the practice is a separate issue.

I think the answer to number 3 is yes, because of the children and how our current tax laws are set up. While we can remediate our tax laws to better respond to marriages of this kind, currently the issue would be to assure that all the children are supportable by the family, and that the burden on the state were minimal. There is also the question about the multiple partners being willing and able to consent to such an arrangement. We have evidence that young girls were being married to older men, and in some cases these arrangements were made before the girl was old enough to give consent. In the case of religious cults, society does have an interest in protecting the youngest and most vulnerable among us from the actions of well-meaning parents who may not be acting in their child's best interests.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
Nope sorry not me. Love my syblings, my cousins, but not in that way.

I am not the incest kind of person. I cannot help what others do in the privacy of their own lives, but not something i personally would ever be comfortable with doing.

I do understand it goes on more then we know. People are doing it right now, with or without our permission. I heard quite a while back, some time ago, while watching a tv show about incest, a lot of time it happens with Moms and Sons, and syblings.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 PM

77 posts, read 82,231 times
I think most people who aren't complete fools understand the juvenile sophistry of the slippery-slope fallacy you've put forth.
Slippery slope - RationalWiki

For example, the fact that I support raising the speed limit on a stretch of freeway from 65mph to 70mph does not mean that I must then necessarily support eliminating all speed limits, everywhere.

I note that you've also taken pains to erect a straw man to knock down. How very fitting for a fallacy-afficionado such as yourself.
Straw man - RationalWiki

Please understand that I make this post for other readers, not yourself, as I expect you lack the ability to understand such complex and nuanced things as, you know, logic.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Marriage only needs to be "redifined" in a legal sense that makes, well, sense. Even if it no longer makes sense (ie: goverment being involved at all in what marriage is) then we have made progress all the same.

Consentual anything that takes place between two or more people isn't my concern or the governments.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:55 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Thread title says it all. If you support redefining marriage, do you support a mother marrying her daughter, if they both are consenting adults? Or a father and son? Why or why not? Thanks
Absolutely.

If both parties are truly consenting, and of legal age, there should be no legal barriers stopping them from being wed.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Ah yes... The typical Tea Partier so concerned with what everyone else is putting in their tea. "Limit government interference in our lives!" they say, but "Please. Make sure everyone is making tea the same way as us. Otherwise their tea is grody." No one likes a nosey busy-body concerned with how everyone else is making their tea or what they're putting in it. Rather than just getting together and having a nice big tea party, though, they'd like to castigate and shun all those who don't conform to the traditional tea making methods.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,939,495 times
I don't see the similarities between the two, but the fact that you do really tells me a lot about you. Interesting.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM

554 posts, read 609,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
I don't see the similarities between the two, but the fact that you do really tells me a lot about you. Interesting.
The scary thing is .... she (sophiasmommy) apparently has a child. Ugh.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Ah yes... The typical Tea Partier so concerned with what everyone else is putting in their tea. "Limit government interference in our lives!" they say, but "Please. Make sure everyone is making tea the same way as us. Otherwise their tea is grody." No one likes a nosey busy-body concerned with how everyone else is making their tea or what they're putting in it. Rather than just getting together and having a nice big tea party, though, they'd like to castigate and shun all those who don't conform to the traditional tea making methods.
Ah yes... the typical liberal who is so concerned with freedom when it comes to sex but cares nothing about anything else. "Limit government interference in abortion!" they say, but "Please. Make sure guns are limited, smoking is limited, nobody drives without a seatbelt or rides a motorcycle with a helmet, uses the right kind of light bulbs, water efficent toilets and washing machines, doesn't buy too much soda in a movie theater, doesn't use any words that could offend a minority, doesn't buy any health insurance that doesn't cover exactly what the government wants it to cover, doesn't do home renovations with the proper permit, attends all proper diversity and sensitivity training, doesn't play video games that are too violent, doesn't produce their own milk without EPA approval, doesn't get on a plane without being searched, and doesn't draw a picture of a gun in grade school without being suspended." Then calls conservatives fascists.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Again, my point is, if gender is immaterial in defining marriage, numbers and prior relationships should be immaterial too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

If two men marry one another, is there an increased burden on society?

If siblings marry, is there an increased burden on society?

If people have multiple marriage partners, simultaneously, then is there an increased burden on society?
Quote:
I think the answer to number 1 is no.

I think the answer to number 2 is that it depends. The fact that biological diversity is necessary for the health of the human race means that society has an interest in regulation such relationships, but the fact that we are in no danger at this time of suffering a catastrophic loss of biological diversity suggests that the interest that society has in such regulation is minimal. The societal taboo on the practice is a separate issue.
If you are a proponent of SSM then you are essentially saying we need to shift the paradigm and not worry about societal taboos.

Quote:
I think the answer to number 3 is yes, because of the children and how our current tax laws are set up. While we can remediate our tax laws to better respond to marriages of this kind, currently the issue would be to assure that all the children are supportable by the family, and that the burden on the state were minimal. There is also the question about the multiple partners being willing and able to consent to such an arrangement. We have evidence that young girls were being married to older men, and in some cases these arrangements were made before the girl was old enough to give consent. In the case of religious cults, society does have an interest in protecting the youngest and most vulnerable among us from the actions of well-meaning parents who may not be acting in their child's best interests.
The young girl part is a separate issue from the polygamy. Not once have I said age is immaterial, just like I have never said species is immaterial. Neither of those are considered to only involve consensual adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies