Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
They are going after some of the adults too. I saw this announcement earlier...something about cover-ups and text messages, fixing "things" etc. The Steubenville Coach Has Joe Paterno Problems - Alexander Abad-Santos - The Atlantic Wire

Who's in Trouble Next in Steubenville? - Alexander Abad-Santos - The Atlantic Wire
One suspects that part of the reason that the two perpetrators got off (relatively) lightly was because they agreed to name names. If Saccoccia is as involved in this as he seems to be - well, no being tried as a juvenile for him. Apparently in Ohio his position makes him a "mandatory reporter" - when working with young people in a professional capacity, you have a legal obligation to report suspected abuse.

We'll see how long it takes the good-old-boy network to abandon him to his fate. There's undoubtedly a massive amount of damage control happening right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Does anyone know why these boys were not tried as adults?
Because they are not adults.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Because they are not adults.
....And?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Does anyone know why these boys were not tried as adults?
I wondered about that too--the rapists are 16 and 17. They're really young and if the goal is to rehabilitate them, that's pretty tough to do if they put them in prison with adult offenders. I'm not saying that I agree, but I'm guessing that might be the reasoning.

Last edited by mb1547; 03-20-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Normally? I pity any children you might have if you think it's alright for 16 year olds to get plastered and stay out all night without any parental supervision and expect nothing bad can ever happen to them.
I pity you if you think anything in the post you quoted indicates that the poster thinks it's alright for 16 year olds to get plastered and stay out all night without any parental supervision and expect nothing bad can ever happen to them.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
No it isn't.
Yea it is.

The law makes no distinctions between innocent or not guilty.

As far as the law is concerned both are equal.

Legally, the innocent person is equal to the person that did the crime but was found not guilty.

Equal...

Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
....And?
And they are not adults.

Personally, I think it is stupid to try kids as adults since they are not adults.

Apparently the State agreed with me this time.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There's no such thing as being "found innocent". A defendant may be found "not guilty", and that's a different kettle of fish altogether.
Ah, you're right. My argument that we presume innocence still stands though.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
And they are not adults.

Personally, I think it is stupid to try kids as adults since they are not adults.

Apparently the State agreed with me this time.
Ohio only mandates trying juveniles as adults at 16 if the charge is murder.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:08 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
And they are not adults.

And I think it's stupid that two teens on the verge of being an adult get off so easy on a techicality, because they weren't tried as an adult.

They should've been tried as adults, and they should've gotten severe penalties.

THis isn't a "kids will be kids", this is two young men raping a young woman and videotaping and laughing about it.

Their punishment is a slap on a wrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies