Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Ok but where do we draw the line? I mean really, lets teach everyone to fight and use violent force?

I understand being able to defend yourself, but creating a culture where we use violence to mediate all of our problems really can become a HUGE problem.

No one said to use violence to mediate all problems. Violence should be met with violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 PM

99,615 posts, read 4,494,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No one said to use violence to mediate all problems. Violence should be met with violence.

And when a bullied kid finally defends himself against the bullies, the school will come down hard on the kid, he or she will be suspended and the bullies carry on as usual with no repercussions.

This is all too common.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Of course it is over-hyped. These kids have no sense of reality, their parents and teachers continue the fantasy and when someone crushes them like the cruel world does time to time and they lose some twitter followers because Suzie allegedly slept with Jimmy and is now branded a ***** they want to go into a deep funk or kill themselves because clearly life isn't worth living.

I can imagine anyone who is on the this forum, is older than 25 years old and went to a normal private or public school was on both ends of the 'bullying'.

hell, we made fun of people, said mean things and also got our doses from others and upperclassmen. It is a rite of passage in my mind, it helps you brace for the cruel world on some levels and that a lot of people are genuinely cutthroat and mean to get what they want.

If you would lose sleep or even kill yourself over what a bunch of children that you probably won't ever see again in 2-3 years after graduation think at any given time is just pathetic.
Speak for yourself. I went to a public high school and i never bullied anyone. I knew how it felt to be bullied and I didn't want anyone else to feel the same way I did. There are people who behave morally and believe that you should be respectful of the feelings of others.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
And when a bullied kid finally defends himself against the bullies, the school will come down hard on the kid, he or she will be suspended and the bullies carry on as usual with no repercussions.

This is all too common.
Absolutely true, especially if the bully is a popular kid or comes form a respected family.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Yeah, but see even before social media, the "nerd" in your first example was not just tripped once, those things are a daily occurence for the "nerd"

I don't think kids are being too soft. I have not endured it, but I can only imagine how horrible it is to be humiliated and insulted every day. It is cruel, and it should be stopped.

There are a lot of things that were brushed under the rug before, but that does not mean it was OK or people were not hurt by it.
Yes, it was and is a daily occurrence. However, its only in recent history have these suicides started to occur. People have been picked on, "bullied" (a much overused term) since the dawn of time. They didn't kill themselves. They worked hard, made something of their lives, and came through it.

Like it or not, now alot of people are just "wusses." The idea everyone is created the same, there is no second place, and all the liberal thoughts/ideals have failed. We are raising a group of persons who just cannot handle life and its beginning to show. Absolutely nothing has changed. Nothing.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, it was and is a daily occurrence. However, its only in recent history have these suicides started to occur. People have been picked on, "bullied" (a much overused term) since the dawn of time. They didn't kill themselves. They worked hard, made something of their lives, and came through it.

Like it or not, now alot of people are just "wusses." The idea everyone is created the same, there is no second place, and all the liberal thoughts/ideals have failed. We are raising a group of persons who just cannot handle life and its beginning to show. Absolutely nothing has changed. Nothing.

Are you saying people didn't commit suicide until modern times?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Are you saying people didn't commit suicide until modern times?
Oh please. I'm saying we all grew up at certain different time periods. When I was in school, people were picked on, teased, made fun of, et al. NO ONE committed suicide. I never read, nor saw news reports of some school kid killing themselves, because someone picked on them.

Look at the times. The military, mostly made up of YOUNG people, are committing suicide in record numbers. You didn't see those kinds of suicide rates in Vietnam, Korea, or World War II. MANY of the military persons now, killing themselves, never even saw combat. Never fired a weapon at a threat, never had a shot fired at them.

The issue is political correctness and not raising children to realize life is hard and tough. There are second place finishers and last place finishers. You can't come out number one on everything. Yes Jane, you are ugly. You aren't beautiful and smart. No Johnny, you cannot play on the football team. You suck.

We need to start raising children with correct and true expectations. Not some fanciful pie in the sky, life is full of fluffy clouds and rainbows. When we start teaching kids life is hard, life is difficult, and you can't always get what you want, maybe some of them will grow a pair, suck it up, and get on with their lives. Not end them.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Oh please. I'm saying we all grew up at certain different time periods. When I was in school, people were picked on, teased, made fun of, et al. NO ONE committed suicide. I never read, nor saw news reports of some school kid killing themselves, because someone picked on them.

Look at the times. The military, mostly made up of YOUNG people, are committing suicide in record numbers. You didn't see those kinds of suicide rates in Vietnam, Korea, or World War II. MANY of the military persons now, killing themselves, never even saw combat. Never fired a weapon at a threat, never had a shot fired at them.

The issue is political correctness and not raising children to realize life is hard and tough. There are second place finishers and last place finishers. You can't come out number one on everything. Yes Jane, you are ugly. You aren't beautiful and smart. No Johnny, you cannot play on the football team. You suck.

We need to start raising children with correct and true expectations. Not some fanciful pie in the sky, life is full of fluffy clouds and rainbows. When we start teaching kids life is hard, life is difficult, and you can't always get what you want, maybe some of them will grow a pair, suck it up, and get on with their lives. Not end them.
Perhaps, incidents of suicide were not reported by the media as much then as they are now. Keep in mind, there is much more media now.

I personally think bullying is a problem in schools and don't understand why people object to the concept that you should treat others with respect. It's not good behavior and should not be encouraged or ignored. Just because bullying has always occurred does not mean it should be condoned.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
calling a thug problem what it is, is counter productive to diversity. diversity is a strong political priority in k12 and those who sponsor it are willing to accept some casualties esp if its not their kid.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-16-2013 at 11:07 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
calling a thug problem what it is, is counter productive to diversity. diversity is a strong political priority in k12 and those whno sponsor it are willing to accept some casualties esp if its not their kid.
I went to school in a 98% white rural district and I can tell you that bullying was widespread. It's not a problem that's found only in racially diverse districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies