Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
These price tags you're quoting, is that the cost to try the case or the cost for the DEFENSE ONLY? There are TWO sides in these cases, the prosecution and defense, and BOTH are funded by taxpayer money.

"Adequate" is not the standard for representation in any case. Did you know that cases can get overturned over something call Ineffective Assistance of Counsel.....IAC?

OBVIOUSLY you have no experience or education regarding our justice system or you wouldn't make such absurd claims.
Good point - this is often overlooked by the witch hunters who would deny a defendant a fair trial.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'm not making absurd claims. I gave a price tag for two public cases, their total cost.
50M for unibomber, 12M for Gary.
I could care less who spent more, from defense or prosecution side.

If we are spending this kind of money on cases, that's financial abuse.
No case requires that kind of expenditure, IMO.

Whether a case gets overturned or not, or is on appeal is no matter either.
We, as the public can't become the financial bottomless pit backers for legal pursuits.
Once, again that's my opinion.

Whether, I have experience in our justice system, is not the issue here.
The cost our public judicial system spends is though.

I'm just baffled that you do not think it requires financial restraint.

You know, I think there is a student/lawyer forum on CD somewhere -
you should check it out
Explain how it is financial abuse, and why you hold that opinion, please.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

At one point the King County's prosecutor's office was referring to it as a "Porsche defense", but even they have to admit that it was well worth the expense.
Well, we all can't afford to live by a "that's priceless" motto,
especially when someone else is paying for it,
so that this POS gets life. Lucky us.

He's just the type of guy I want still breathing

I'm sure there were needy folks somewhere in King's County that could
have used that money more.....A LOT more.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 PM

15,054 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
I'm curious,

During house to house searches, did anyone refuse law enforcement requests, and if so,
what happened, if anything?
I don't know of any .. as we would have likely read about it, as we have in other situations far less volatile, when a SWATT team have inadvertently stormed the wrong address and shot innocent citizens. It is always reported that it is with the deepest regret that law enforcement made an oopsie.

But I take it from your question that you personally would automatically presume it a simple "request" for which you were at liberty to refuse, if 20 men in black uniforms, heavily armed, beat the ****e out of your door and ordered you out of the house with your hands on your head?

Me thinks that not entirely truthful, if that is what you are suggesting.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there were needy folks somewhere in King's County that could
have used that money more.....A LOT more.
Perhaps so, but when the state is prosecuting someone with the intention of taking their life, then that is a very serious matter, and one that warrants providing the best advocacy that there can be, otherwise our justice system will be similar to that in some banana republic.

Prosecuting a capital crime costs money - don't play the "more needy" game when we are discussing such a sobering matter.

It doesn't wash.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:10 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,527,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Since the cat is out of the bag...psst...I happen to know that the kid lying in the hospital is a body double. The real 19 year old bomber was exterminated. The government chose a kid that was in a bad car accident and in need of major reconstructive surgery which would enable the govermnent's plastic surgeons to reconstruct his face to look exactly like the real 19 year old. They were able to coerce this body double into their incidious scheme due to the fact that he was DUI and now he can avoid prosecution. Add that to the fact that he was uninsured and could not possibly afford his reconstructive surgery and the law suit which was forthcoming. He will take his own life during the trial period of this hoax, but actually he will be relocated as in a witness protection program...unless of course they just kill him and make it look like a suicide.
Don't be surprised if you see this again.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
LAWYERS???
It says, "If you can not afford an attorney, ONE will be appointed for you..

It's overkill to give this bomber a public dream team, and an insult to the
American taxpayer, not to mention the folks of Boston.
He is a citizen and he gets that same rights as any other citizen.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
No, in regard to our rights, there is no such thing as "over compensating."

In case you haven't noticed, it does seem to be the strong right wing contingent who is advocating not giving him equal representation, not reading him Miranda, and categorizing him as an enemy combatant. I would say that the far right wingers are ready to take away "our rights" in a heartbeat when they become fearful.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:20 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Explain how it is financial abuse, and why you hold that opinion, please.
You first

I actually can't even believe you would be asking that.
Are you trying to give me a heart attack or something

I'm flabbergasted that the average death penalty case costs 3M.

Yes, even bombers, murderers, their lawyers, and judges need to cut back,

Just like the rest of us...

Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM

15,054 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Don't be surprised if you see this again.

While such childish rhetoric may be entertaining to those with a much lower standard than they should have, I find the official accounts to be far more overtly and comically absurd than that type of verbal vomit.

I mean, where is one's sense of humor and irony, when Law Enforcement orders a citizen out of a car ... forces this person to strip totally nude ... yes boy, those too ... and then parades him in public, and even in front of bloody TV cameras?

The next day, the authorities claim that he turned out not to be connected to the crime, and released. When asked about his identity ... the authorities claim, we cannot say, in order to protect his privacy ??? This, after the Police made sure that entire free world saw first hand whether or not the man was circumcised? Now they are concerned about privacy? You simply cannot make this kind of crap up.

Planet Dumb Dumb .... that's where we are now ... it is no longer planet Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies